Cosmetology class help

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm a sophomore in high school and I plan to go to the career center for Cosmetology begore I take the state mandated test to get my license. However, Cosmetology is a very popular class to take at the career center in my area. Would it help me to get into the class if I were to be an intern for a store that deals with cosmetics? If so, what cosmetics brands would allow me to intern at one of their stores at my age? Thank you :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I'm a sophomore in high school and I plan to go to the career center for Cosmetology begore I take the state mandated test to get my license. However, Cosmetology is a very popular class to take at the career center in my area. Would it help me to get into the class if I were to be an intern for a store that deals with cosmetics? If so, what cosmetics brands would allow me to intern at one of their stores at my age? Thank you :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
That's a good question. I suggest taking your written proposal (on school letterhead) to the department manager of the cosmetic department of a department store, as the brands are independent.

Stores like Sephora or drugstores, the brands are dependent under the store banner, for example, brands like Rimmel, Cover Girl etc.

What is it that you want to do with your life in terms of a career? Do you want to become a makeup artist or do you want to become a hairstylist or esthetician? The makeup artist path is not regulated which means anyone can become a makeup artist with no formal training. Yes, there are makeup schools such as MUD, CMC and countless others which will teach you about makeup and special effects but while you can earn a certificate there is no professional license unlike cosmetology or esthetics which are highly regulated.

At your age no brand will allow you to intern and this is due to liability. Sophomore's in high schools are in the 15/16 year old age range (my youngest daughter is 15 and is also a sophomore) and most businesses will not hire anyone under the age of 18.

What is it that you want to do with your life in terms of a career? Do you want to become a makeup artist or do you want to become a hairstylist or esthetician? The makeup artist path is not regulated which means anyone can become a makeup artist with no formal training. Yes, there are makeup schools such as MUD, CMC and countless others which will teach you about makeup and special effects but while you can earn a certificate there is no professional license unlike cosmetology or esthetics which are highly regulated.

At your age no brand will allow you to intern and this is due to liability. Sophomore's in high schools are in the 15/16 year old age range (my youngest daughter is 15 and is also a sophomore) and most businesses will not hire anyone under the age of 18.
Ah good point. In Canada we don't use the term sophomore in terms of high school. So I thought Lindsay was a little bit older.

But yes, internships and work shadowing happens at 18.

Have you considered calling and setting up an appointment with an advisor for the career center.  You can ask then directly what you need to get in.

Some career center programs admit everyone who meets the criteria on a first come first serve basis and others review applications and admit the best applicants.

Last edited by a moderator:
[SIZE=11pt]If you serious about career in beauty industry & according to your age the best option for you is Advanced Diploma in Cosmetology , go for it!![/SIZE]

Latest posts

Back