Memebox: Seized boxes

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Question for you girls that have dealt with Customs -

Came home to a 6 page letter from US Customs and Border Protection about a box seized in Cincinnati, Ohio. I'm thinking it's possible this is my Global box with the odd (non) tracking number that Meme emailed me about and ended up sending UPS but my question is, how are you even supposed to know what to do? They don't tell you why it was seized and they're stating the value is $30 for 7 Cosmetics. The official form attached just seems a bit intimidating for what it is (a box of skincare) with absolutely no explanation of why they even seized it.

Came home to a 6 page letter from US Customs and Border Protection about a box seized in Cincinnati, Ohio. I'm thinking it's possible this is my Global box with the odd (non) tracking number that Meme emailed me about and ended up sending UPS but my question is, how are you even supposed to know what to do? They don't tell you why it was seized and they're stating the value is $30 for 7 Cosmetics. The official form attached just seems a bit intimidating for what it is (a box of skincare) with absolutely no explanation of why they even seized it.
What do they want you to do?

I wonder if I will get that letter too. Remember, we both had that odd tracking number thingy and I think a couple others had it too. Mine was the Moisture Surge box. I guess Memebox was telling us correctly that customs destroyed the boxes.

@@Mahsa Thank you! I'm 99% sure that's one of the colors I got. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

@@MemeJunkie I've honestly never heard of that happening. Did they tell you it was being destroyed, or ask you to pay a fine? That is rather intimidating for something as silly as a Memebox. 

This is the first page of the letter...

image.jpg

It appears you either file a petition to acquire the property, forfeit the property or request court action.

@@LoveSkinCare - it's my understanding, from this letter, that the box was in fact not destroyed and in turn seized in the US. I've received all other boxes I paid for so I can't imagine what else this could be other than that restock.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why was the box seized? Was there a product in it that violates import or something? 

The letter doesn't state why, other than something about Title 19 and being falsely manifested and inadmissible by FDA. No idea what any of this means. Any of you ladies with a legal background want to chime in? :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

So, can you request that you get it?   I mean, this is just stupid.  Like there aren't claims of skincare products that are false today in the USA.

It appears you either file a petition to acquire the property, forfeit the property or request court action.

@@LoveSkinCare - it's my understanding, from this letter, that the box was in fact not destroyed and in turn seized in the US. I've received all other boxes I paid for so I can't imagine what else this could be other than that restock.
The date of the letter is about the time we got the email from Memebox. I guess I will get the letter at my work address as that is where my box was supposed to ship to. It's interesting that they will let you petition to get the box.

So, can you request that you get it?   I mean, this is just stupid.  Like there aren't claims of skincare products that are false today in the USA.
These are my options....
image.jpg
they're about as clear as mud to me.

These are my options....

they're about as clear as mud to me.
It looks scary, I think basically the easiest thing to do is to just tell them you don't want it, but it says you can petition them to reconsider, I guess it's up to you - I'm sorry this happened it's not right

I looked up the titles and sections that are listed in the letter. The one that seems most relevant is Title 21 section 701 deals with labeling of cosmetics by the FDA. Perhaps our boxes were opened by customs and since most of the labels are in Korean, they seized it.

oh for eff's sake.  It is frigging skin care and makeup for crying out loud!!    Is there a phone number you can call? 

The funny thing is, it's not like this is the first Memebox to make it's way through Customs in Ohio. Global 15 was hair products, a cleanser, snail serum, lip product, eye liner? I'm missing something because they said 7 products and I know there were 2 hair. Regardless, this can't be their first time seeing a Memebox. WTF is the problem?!?!

The funny thing is, it's not like this is the first Memebox to make it's way through Customs in Ohio. Global 15 was hair products, a cleanser, snail serum, lip product, eye liner? I'm missing something because they said 7 products and I know there were 2 hair. Regardless, this can't be their first time seeing a Memebox. WTF is the problem?!?!
there was also the Tonymoly bb cream.    Yeah, I don't understand why they would go after a professionally wrapped box like memebox.  Totally strange.   

I mean, if cfisher could get a box that smelled like FISH GUTS,  they cannot be that picky.  Must be a random quota thing.

@@biancardi - not a number in site. But that's precisely what my husband said. Personally, I'm thinking about how seizing a package from overseas that's actually a threat, instead of messing with our silly skincare boxes, is probably much more important and this ridiculous project is a complete waste of government money in my opinion. I know that may seem like an over the top statement but if you think about it, someone took the time to open and inspect my box. I'm assuming they then passed it along to someone else who made the ultimate decision to seize it. Next, it went (somewhere) and a 6 page letter was drafted (I'm assuming cut & pasted) and then it was sent off to the mail department. Honestly these people could care less about us but they're spending a hell of a lot of payroll dollars on a box they only value at 30 bucks.

Am I only one that finds this amusing?

it is amazing to me.  Once they opened it and saw it was makeup, skincare, hair care - I mean, there is a card that explains what the stuff is - why didn't they just wrap it back up and send it to you?  there wasn't anything weird in that box.

@@MemeJunkie Not at all, it's baffling how "serious" they're making out a silly cosmetics box. Part of me can't help but think that if this is some sort of issue with them worrying about the products or the company, then surely spending 3 seconds to look up Memebox online could have saved them a lot of hassle.

I really do wonder what exactly caused them to seize the package. 

Part of me wants to 'Petition' the box just to find out exactly what the issue is. I'm not terribly interested in the box itself or paying the $30 value, I've already received a replacement and traded for some of the items I really wanted more of. But it would be nice to know why they seized the box.

Part of me wants to 'Petition' the box just to find out exactly what the issue is. I'm not terribly interested in the box itself or paying the $30 value, I've already received a replacement and traded for some of the items I really wanted more of. But it would be nice to know why they seized the box.
But the US doesn't charge custom fees under a certain amount, right?  I would be interested in seeing what happens if you did petition it.   I know if this happened to me, I would petition it.  Just for the principle of it all - I am like a dog with a bone if I feel  I have been unjustly wronged!! lol

Latest posts

Back