The Niche Brand Thread

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turntrekgodhead

Lipstick Lesbian
Reaction score
Hey! This is a thread for all those niche and what I call "sneaky secret" brands- those who are awesome but not indie, but not available widely offline either. We're talking Sugarpill, Colourpop, Paul & Joe, Saucebox, and the like! Which have you tried? What's your favourite? What's on your wishlist?

Are there any niche brands that aren't hyped by YouTubers and are actually decent? Because I am pretty much scared to try these all because the few that I have tried, sucked, and the rest are clearly sponsoring YouTube videos left and right. I'd love to find some new brands that were good, but not as pricey as some others!

Does anyone know if Colourpop is any good? I see people talking about them all over youtube, but that makes me suspicious. 

Are there any niche brands that aren't hyped by YouTubers and are actually decent? Because I am pretty much scared to try these all because the few that I have tried, sucked, and the rest are clearly sponsoring YouTube videos left and right. I'd love to find some new brands that were good, but not as pricey as some others!
This is my issue too. Girlactic is going to be the next overhyped thing. Jaclyn hill mentioned and and then a week later someone did too. I'm always leery of stuff like that.

Makeup geek is the only one I have experience with and I was very happy with their product. Color pop tempts me but I almost don't want to buy it out of principle.

I have heard that Color (Colour?) Pop was good, it was from a YouTuber, but one I actually trust when it comes to quality. Buuuut then they went affiliated themselves with a person I am not so fond of, so I won't buy on principle, LOL.

I do want to try MUG not only because I've heard good things but her shadow pans are huge for the price! So I think the value is there. :smilehappyyes:

I've been thinking about buying some colourpop stuff just to try... won't leave too much of a dent in my wallet. I'm not on youtube so I guess I'm naive to this kinda stuff??
 I don't think that everything pushed on YouTube is bad - but I think a lot of companies use it to get fairly inexpensive advertising because they can pay in product/gift cards/percentage of sales so there are a lot of people who will say that just about everything is "amazing" to get paid. But like I said, it doesn't necessarily make everything bad, just hard to tell what is actually good or not!

I don't think that everything pushed on YouTube is bad - but I think a lot of companies use it to get fairly inexpensive advertising because they can pay in product/gift cards/percentage of sales so there are a lot of people who will say that just about everything is "amazing" to get paid. But like I said, it doesn't necessarily make everything bad, just hard to tell what is actually good or not!
Well, I will order some whenever they have a sale (their Canadian shipping is 15$ :eek: /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> ) and post swatches here! I'll probably order lipsticks and the brightly coloured eyeshadows- frankly, as is the case with indies, I'm not interested in neutrals as I've got tons of top notch ones in various palettes- and I don't even wear them that often!

Most of my niche brand experience is in perfume and bath goods and I have found some real winners, most notably Body Time and Basin White. My problem with makeup is that I have so far not found a niche brand that wasn't pricey as all hell--but to be fair, this is also before I started hanging around the indie thread and heard of Fyrinnae and Sugarpill, which appear to be far less expensive than Paul and Joe. I have used some great niche-y organic brands like Vapour and RMS, and they are not cheap; but if one has special skin issues or wants a side of luxury with their vegan, they're excellent products.

I like Colourpop! I also don't pay any attention to Youtubers/vloggers so I have no idea what brands are pushed that way. 

I'm attaching my swatches. I did these with two finger swipes, no primer, natural light and no flash. One of the shadows arrived cracked but when you see the formula it's not a problem at all and smooths out right away. It's a very different texture than anything else I've used. At $5 each I was pretty happy with them.  I might wanna try lippie sticks at some point but I want more swatches to show up online (other than Colourpop's own IG) since they have such a big range.  

swatch1.jpg

Rouge Bunny Rouge is on Hautelook today! It went up this morning. I've been waffling all day whether I want a shadow or not but I know I probably shouldn't. I don't have anything of theirs so I just want to try because of the hype. 

Rouge Bunny Rouge is on Hautelook today! It went up this morning. I've been waffling all day whether I want a shadow or not but I know I probably shouldn't. I don't have anything of theirs so I just want to try because of the hype. 
I am drooling over their taupe eye shadows, but they are too expensive for me to buy on a whimp.

Hammered looks perfect for a smokey eye, by the way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is Nailtini considered a niche brand? If so, I've gotta rave about them here. I know probably a lot of people are sick of them from Ipsy but I like them. They had a 50% off sale this weekend and I was soooo good and didn't buy any!

Is Nailtini considered a niche brand? If so, I've gotta rave about them here. I know probably a lot of people are sick of them from Ipsy but I like them. They had a 50% off sale this weekend and I was soooo good and didn't buy any!
I would call them that. :smilehappyyes:   I've never considered purchasing them, but I have liked the Nailtini and Eyetini products I received in sub boxes!

I heard about Colour pop on you tube. I wasn't convinced either, but after watching so many videos I decided to try it. It's only $5 after all. The hype is justified for the shadows anyway. I really do not like the lippie stix. I thought the matte was drying and the shades are way too bright for my taste. But the shadows....are amazing. I would throw out the principle and try them lol IMHO.

I ended up ordering a few things from Colour Pop. Only one eyeshadow appealed to me (I <3 This), but it is really lovely and the formula is fantastic. I also ordered some lippie stix. The matte formula feels comparable to the nyx matte lipstick formula to me. They are a touch drying, so I put them over lip balm which works well for me. 

Latest posts

Back