COLOURPOP COSMETICS Super Shock Shadow Review

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey lovely MUTers! I am bored at my house and was looking through the forums and stumbled upon this post:

https://www.makeuptalk.com/f/topic/134960-the-niche-brand-thread/?hl=%2Bcolourpop&do=findComment&comment=2330597

A lot of people in that thread seemed interested in ColourPop Cosmetics so I thought I would do a short(ish) brand overview/review. I will only be doing the Super Shock Shadow review at this time. I'm a college student so I am kind of short on time tonight, but if you are interested in seeing a review on the lippie stix/pencils let me know and I'll do that!

I want to start this off by saying I am *NOT* affiliated with ColourPop in any way. I have bought every product I own from them with my own money and they are not compensating me to write this review.

Now, with that boring stuff out of the way, let's get to the goods!

A little behind the brand: They are an L.A. based company that currently sells cream-ish-powder-ish eye shadows, lip sticks and lip pencils. All of their products are made in the USA and are *NOT* tested on animals. The eye shadows retail for $5 each (2.1g of product) and the lippie stix and lippie pencils (each 1g of product) also retail for $5 a pop...Pun intended  :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  They offer FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $30 (no code needed) and currently they do not ship anywhere outside the U.S. I have not read anything about them planning to ship internationally.

As you can see, I. Am. Obsessed. It started out with just a few shades but that quickly turned into owning every shade they offer. At $5 a pop, I couldn't resist having every shade. Let's talk about the application and wear time for these babies though. Aside from being absolutely stunning, they perform great too. ColourPop suggests on their website that you use your fingertip for the best color payoff. I have tried applying these with my fingers, brushes and eyeshadow applicators (you know those things you get with every eyeshadow palette that you think you will never use). I find that my fingers work the best and that the applicator was second up. I do not like using these with brushes. In my experience, hardly any shadow is picked up by the brush and I just end up getting frustrated and using my finger. 

The texture of these shadows is like nothing I have used before. You can see from the picture that if you dip your finger in the pan and press, the shadow will actually move as if it is a cream. You can easily smooth them back down if you do this. I have read that they are comparable in texture to the Maybelline Dream Bouncy blushes but since I do not own any of those, I cannot attest to that. I can tell you that they are somewhere in between a powder and a cream. When you swatch or apply them with your finger they feel like a cream but they blend out on the eye like a powder. These shadows are very blend-able and build-able. 

For the sake of time, I have only swatched a few of my favorite shades. However, there are pictures of all the shades on their website in use as well as multiple Youtube reviews on these if you want to go down that road. 

These pictures just don't do the shades justice. The glittery shades are chock-full of glitter but there is NO FALL OUT with these. That's right..none. At least none that I have experienced. These aren't the type of shadows where they are beautiful and glittery in the pan but when applied to the eye the glitter disappears. What you see in the pan is what you get on the eye. The metallic finishes look like foil and the satin/matte finishes are so soft and beautiful on the eyes. These wear on my eyes all day at work (9 hour..sometimes 12 hour shifts) without budging. I use a primer underneath them because I use a primer under everything but I don't think they really need one.

For $5 these shadows are definitely worth it. I would pay double that! They are cruelty-free and they have some very unique shades that I have not seen any other brand offer. They are made in the U.S. and you can get free shipping if you spend $30, which if you ask me, is not a challenge. I love these shadows and this company. They have great customer service and the shipping is fast (USPS Priority) and they pack everything SUPER securely. I have only ever received one broken shadow and they replaced it right away. I would highly recommend this company to anyone that loves inexpensive, good quality, cruelty-free makeup. 

Hope everyone enjoys this post. Sorry if it's a little lengthy..Once I get started, I can't stop  :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  If you would like me to do a post about the lippie stix/pencils, let me know! Mwuah!

Back