What's Your Beauty Base Zero?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey MakeupTalk peeps!

I have a question for you- what do you consider to be your beauty base zero? What products do you feel you need to have applied in order to be presentable (and especially before you apply any more intricate makeup)?

I think the phrase 'beauty base zero' has become somewhat of a fixture in the makeup circles, though it started out in The Hunger Games series.

For me, my beauty base zero is basically what I feel I need to look presentable, and am typically not confident at all and kind of flighty and repressive of my self when I'm out and about without my beauty base zero.

For me, this requires:

1. Combed hair

2. Cleaned, moisturized skin, as well as brushed teeth.

3. Skintone evened out by a redness reducing foundation (BareMinerals BareSkin)

4. Blemishes concealed (NARS Radiant Creamy concealer)

5. Brows defined (Anastasia Dipbrow Pommade)

6. Lashes/eyes defined by either some mascara or eyeliner- doesn't have to be both.

Then I usually feel presentable enough to actually face other people without hiding behind my hair. Of course other things definitely help, like color cosmetics, but if I'm going to only have a small amuont of time to look presentable, I have to do those 6 things first.

How about you?

I need to have showered, brushed my teeth, washed my face, brushed my hair and applied moisturiser, after that I just throw on some lipstick, if I have a little more time I put on a coloured eyeshadow and some eyeliner. I suppose it's strange, but foundation, concealer and/or powder are things I only do if I have a lot of time on my hands, and I never use blusher, I just can't do it right. 

Bare minimum for me is clean skin, lip balm/gloss/stick, eyeliner, and mascara.

Foundation, blush, and eyeshadow if I have time but my blonde lashes demand definition and my lips feel weird and dry with nothing on them.

I would have to say concealer underneath my eyes and mascara are all I really need to feel like a look somewhat normal in the real world.

I would prefer to have a thin layer of foundation on with powder to set, blush and mascara (brows slightly filled in if I'm feeling really fancy) but concealer specifically under the eyes and mascara will do if I'm in a super rush (or super lazy..)

Basic hygiene (clean body, hair, and teeth, deodorant). I feel best with some brow pencil or powder, mascara , lip balm, and lipstick.

My lashes and brows are very pale blonde and are not visible without help ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Powder is THE bare minimum. I have too many to count, one in each bag, locker, room, etc. Can't have my face be shiny and red :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Brown eyeshadow, either WnW Walking on Eggshells or UD's Smog.

And some sort of lipstick. The one I keep in my coat pocket is Revlon's Berry Rich.

I know, I have weird priorities.

1. Undereye concealer
  2. Lip balm
  3. Oil absorbing powder (I use Larenim's Dusk Til' Dawn)
That's all I really need to feel presentable (Beauty Base Zero). I typically like to do more.

My minimal makeup (day to day school, errands, and activities, typically when running late) involves added clear mascara, a BB cream, and I have one little sparse patch I like to fill on my brows (Benefit's Gimme Brow)

Wait, are we counting basic hygiene? In that case, for me, it would be:

Yeah, no. I don't care. When it comes right down to it, I will go out looking the way God and my plastic surgeon made me, and it doesn't matter if I haven't showered or brushed my teeth in two weeks (veneers don't stain anyways. :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> That was a joke, btw).

Why do y'all think I like perfume so much? Oh, actually, my answer changed:

-perfume

Bam. Fabulous.

Mascara (the one thing I will never, or at least very very very rarely leave the house without), concealer if I'm broken out, something on my lips at least a lip balm, and brushed teeth.

Besides basic hygiene (clean face/body/hair, teeth brushed, deodorant) which is a must:

1) Powder Foundation to even out my skin tone and cover redness (MAC Studio Fix Powder Foundation)

2) Mascara (whatever is currently open)

3) Brows (Anastasia Brow Wiz)

4) Lip Balm (I usually use Fresh Sugar Lip Treatment)

I have a question for you- what do you consider to be your beauty base zero? What products do you feel you need to have applied in order to be presentable (and especially before you apply any more intricate makeup)?   I think the phrase 'beauty base zero' has become somewhat of a fixture in the makeup circles, though it started out in The Hunger Games series.
I am a bit late to the party here... I was confused by the term "Beauty Base Zero" as no one in the industry uses that term. Then I realized it's a term used in the Hunger Games universe and not used in reality, at least not on union shows that I or my colleagues work on. But perhaps it will be a term used for the street make-up crowd.

The technique you're describing is what we pros call "Basic" or "Basic Look". But at any rate, the responses are on the mark  for what everyone's routine is.

In Film and TV, the Basic Look is foundation, powder, very thin single coat of mascara, and a pale base eyeshadow.

No blush, no highlights, no brow filling, no liners of any kind, no lip colours, no concealer (as we double play the foundation as concealer if needed). Recently I've seen that no mascara is being slowly added to the "Basic look"  bible process. But most actresses never leave the residence without a coat of it on... :rolleyes:   

Then depending on the scene, period or visual design of the show, we add the appropriate colour palette to match the character breakdown.

Last edited by a moderator:
Brightening eye cream, serum and face cream and tinted lip balm.

If I have a day with lots of redness I will add Hourglass Dim Light and if I happen to be using the palette that day all 3 colors get used, blush, eyeliner and mascara.

Foundation

Brows

Mascara

In that order. It's like when a storm is coming and everyone goes searching for bread, milk, eggs. haha  :lol:

Back