Reasons For Low/No Buy

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
By putting a plan in place for a low/no buy - what are you hoping to achieve?  Reasons may include and are not limited to one or more of the following:

• save money short term (i.e. vacation)
  • save money for long term (i.e. retirement)
  • limited storage space therefore having fewer belongings
  • use products before they expire
  • pay down unsecured debts (i.e. credit card)
  • using products until they're gone before replacing them
  • have less stuff/clutter in the home
  • pay for post-secondary education
  • extra money for a hobby
  • response to reduced hours at work or lay-off
  • pay off a mortgage or car loan faster
  • saving money for other household expenses (i.e. new furniture, home repairs)
  • increase in child-related expenses
  • saving for a rainy-day fund
  • taking a cruise or trip
  • loss of interest in cosmetics and related items
  • pressure from spouse/significant other to stop buying and start saving
What are YOUR reasons for wanting to decrease expenses/consumption by participating in low/no buy?

Hi! I went a little crazy during the Sephora VIB sale and Black Friday, so I hope to reign in my spending, use what I already have (which is more than enough), and fulfill my desire test new products through three subscription boxes. I'm also making a huge payment for school next month, so I'm cutting my beauty budget to $0 for the winter.

I am going to try and limit my cosmetics purchases in 2015 because I need to focus on using what I have. I did some rearranging to make room for everything I bought during the Sephora sales, and I realized just how much I really have. I want to make a concentrated effort to use up products like mascara and foundation, that expire more quickly than others.

My reasons are to:

1. Nip my spending habits in the bud, I waste too much money on makeup

2. Use up the ridiculous amount of things I already have

3. Quit using spending as a "comfort crutch" when I feel depressed

4. Learn to use my nice things instead of saving them for a special occasion, everyday should be special

5. Put the saved money into an emergency fund

My reasons are to:

1. Nip my spending habits in the bud, I waste too much money on makeup

2. Use up the ridiculous amount of things I already have

3. Quit using spending as a "comfort crutch" when I feel depressed

4. Learn to use my nice things instead of saving them for a special occasion, everyday should be special

5. Put the saved money into an emergency fund
Yes! These are the exact same reasons for me as well. I was going to reply to this thread but after I read your post I didn't need to.  :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

For me:

1. I have too much. I should get through the stuff I already have before I can buy more.

2. Saving Money. There are a few high dollar things that I'd really like to have but only if I can dedicate myself to a serious no-buy.

I've been pretty good with my no-buys lately, but now that I also have a small business to run, I see that what I usually spend on beauty has to go back into my business as an investment. For personal wants, I've been trying to limit myself to no more than $80 a month ($40 every two weeks).

My reasons are to pay off credit lines in anticipation of having to pay off my student loans starting later in 2015; and to learn to stop using impulse purchasing as a coping mechanism.
These are exactly two of my reasons along with:

- Needing to use what I already have and reduce the amount of clutter in my home

- Saving up in anticipation for reduced work hours. This is voluntary as I plan to step into freelancing, but that requires that all of my unsecured debt and even a huge chunk of my student loans are paid for. 

Basically grew up poor and now I'm 18 and in college and my family is better off but we're not rich by any means. I want to save my money to have money. For emergencies, rainy days, etc. I've had time periods where I'd be like, buy allll the lipsticks, so when I had money I would spend it on makeup lmao. I mean when I was in high school, that really didn't matter much, but now I'm in college and will most likely be on my own in a few short years, so I want financial stability for myself. I want a good sized savings account & money in it. I also have a lot of makeup as it is, so I would like to use it up. I hope that by the time I move out and get my own apartment, I'll have used up most of my make up and art supplies and I'll be able to live a more minimalist life.

1. Because I have way too much crap. I will never use it all.

2. Because I need to find a better and more productive way to deal with stress than shopping.

3. Because I need/want to start spending my disposable income on experiences vs things.

4. Because I need to bump up my savings account before I start the home buying process.

5. Because I'm legitimately curious how much money I could save if we stop buying crap (my husband is as bad as I am).

These are exactly two of my reasons along with:

- Needing to use what I already have and reduce the amount of clutter in my home

- Saving up in anticipation for reduced work hours. This is voluntary as I plan to step into freelancing, but that requires that all of my unsecured debt and even a huge chunk of my student loans are paid for. 
To follow up on this, I made a post on my blog about the idea of a project pan/no buy/project finish it being the segway to get me to lower this debt...I won't post it here because (way too long), but it basically boils down to...I paid off my paypal account by using my allowances towards lowering that total vs. spending it on more unneeded makeup, and it got my gears turning on how I can start boiling down my needs vs wants and figure out where that extra cash that, up till now, had been spent on makeup and other stupid stuff, could be put to lower my overall debt.

Let's just say my debt is in the low/mid 5 figures, and I just need to find a way to get it OVER. I think a no-buy is a great way to kickstart that by making sure I can't spend money impulsively and without thought.

the segway to get me to lower this debt...
...i should not be allowed to operate this copy of photoshop

segway.jpg

...i should not be allowed to operate this copy of photoshop

segway.jpg
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAA. yikes! this is totally my fault. I meant a good segue into... don't ask me to make coherent sentences happen on 2 hours of sleep ;-; 

Last edited by a moderator:
I need to low buy as I have NO space left...and unless its a replacement for something thats constantly used I shouldn't have a stash that is so large that I have no idea how long it will take me to get through!!  

That and next school year my oldest will potentially be at uni - and I need extra $$$ available to visit her and spoil her instead of spending $$$ on stuff I really don't need.

This season most of the damage I have done is on gifts.

I think I need to buy as I require and try not to stash things.  I have some sub boxes so I will get new product to play with monthly but I am trying to limit that and have even cut down on my subs.  I'm also going to try and buy things that I LOVE - and stop trying to make do and end up with lots of stuff that doesn't get used.

Latest posts

Back