Carrier Oils for Essential Oils

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use fractionated coconut oil.
do you mean the MCT oil? Are you using fractionated coconut oil for lower viscosity to help absorption or are there other benefits that help more besides the viscosity?

Last edited by a moderator:
Good question andre, but it really depends on your skin type and the type of carrier oil you decide to use. For oily skins I recommend Grapeseed solvent extraction, for combination skin try cold pressed Apricot Kernel. For dry skin maybe try Jojoba cold pressed. The higher the viscosity, the less likely for it to be absorbed by our skin. 

Since ive joined ive been reading more on carrier oils and i see the viscosity of mct oil is low but its pure saturated fat which according to some info would be a slow absorbing oil compared to polyunsaturated fat based oils which absorb very fast. Examples of polyunsaturated fatty oils would be castor oil, flaxseed oil and grapeseed oil. Ive read castor oil absorbs very quickly but its supposedly a viscous oil , so would grapeseed being less viscous be a better choice to enhance essential oil absorption at full speed?

Or would a deeper penetrating oil be more effective for essential oil absorption than a fast absorbing oil? Also where is the best place to rub this in to get to the brain and ensure maximal absorption? Hands, wrists, forhead, etc.? Also some new stuff ice read is that ph of water at 6.5 is optimal for absorption, yet ive heard oils themselves dont have ph? I have a ph tester and will test out the oils, maybe they would have a ph because of compounds in the oils like how vegetable glycerin has a ph of 7.

@@andre I'm impressed with the depth of research you've gone into. (In response to post #5)

However, there are a few things we should clear up. First of all, excessive amounts of oil absorption into the skin may not necessarily be a good thing. Even if they are absorbed, they will not be broken down metabolically as the only way to achieve that is to have it go through your digestive system. Now, your are right about grapeseed (910-922 kg/m3) being less dense than castor oil (961 kg/m3), and therefore probably has a faster absorption rate.

Do you have really dry skin? If not, you should not be using too much oils. If you are thinking about hydration and anti aging, I recommend lotions and serum/essence. 

@@andre (In response to post #6) 

I do not think any oil that you apply onto the skin can reach the brain. To reiterate what I stated above, the oils that are absorbed into the skin remain in the epidermal and dermal layers. They rarely go into the bloodstream and will not be metabolized. The best places to apply oil are places that most require it -- dry places, this is why i recommend lotions and essences, because they also contribute to dermal hydration. 

pH refers to how acidic or basic a substance is ( 0 - 14, 7 is neutral, 0 being most acidic, 14 being most basic). Oils are generally neutral or slightly basic. The pH of pure water will always be 7, as the pH scale is made in reference to pure H2O. Water is a natural solvent, thus the pH of water changes depending on what other substances are dissolved in it. 

Different skin types also has different pH values. Dry skins tend to be more acidic (4.5- 5.0) while oily skins more basic (5.6 - 6.6). Makes sense if you think about it. While I'm not entirely sure about the relation between pH and absorption rate, a rule of thumb is that all substances will try to achieve equilibrium. So absorption rate is not only a matter of pH, but also include other factors making it a very complex matter.

@

clinical studies have been conducted to prove the absorption of essential oils into the body via the skin. The essential oil of lavender was diluted in peanut oil and massaged over the stomach. After 20 minutes linalol and linyl acetate were detected in the blood.

@

Im basically just trying to absorb these oils for the therapeutic effects like how peppermint oil can provide headache relief. I know some transdermal methods only provide local relief like some cannabis oil patches but also they have some patches that go into your bloodstream bypassing the stomach and liver for more absorbed product. For example a nicotine patch is absorbed into your bloodstream to provide nicotine without smoking.

Im sure theres a way to provide maximum topical absorption into your bloodstream which is what I'm working on and mostly concerned with right now. Finding out more about this will help for if youd like the oil to stay in your skin for more skin care purposes or to help absorb into the bloodstream for effects, im sure there are carrier oils more fitted for one of the two methods.

Hope I can help with either pathway either skin absorption or bloodstream absorption, I will post news on either if it helps.

Which carrier oils are best to enhance essential oil absorption?
 I would say jojoba oil, it is one of the ingredients in my Monsia Intense Day cream with SPF-15 and I would choose this because it has a very light and is almost odorless.

I've always used Almond oil and it's great. It's not heavy and absorbs well.

ive used argan oil or damask rose squalene serum. there are usually other essential oils added by cold pressed or steam distillation. I think lavender works awesome

Latest posts

Back