Primers for Loose Indie Shadows

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turntrekgodhead

Lipstick Lesbian
Reaction score
I have a Shiro order coming in tonight and I was wondering what you all use under your loose indie shadows to make them look so good! I've heard "get the one sold by the company" and "just use a sticky base". I'm looking for specific product recommendations- would NYX eye base work, the ones in pots? A nude shadow pencil? A color tattoo? Pixie Epoxy?

What works the best in intensifying your colours and preventing glitter fallout for you?

I have a Shiro order coming in tonight and I was wondering what you all use under your loose indie shadows to make them look so good! I've heard "get the one sold by the company" and "just use a sticky base". I'm looking for specific product recommendations- would NYX eye base work, the ones in pots? A nude shadow pencil? A color tattoo? Pixie Epoxy?

What works the best in intensifying your colours and preventing glitter fallout for you?
I always start with my NARS primer.  On top of that I use either a glitter glue or a foiling medium depending on my objective.  If I am just wanting the glitter to adhere I use a glitter glue.  I have tried Elf, Darling Girl and Glamour Doll Eyes.  Currently I am using the one fro Darling Girl.  I liked the one from GDE, but dropped it and broke the bottle and she is currently out of stock.  I do not care for the Elf, it does not hold the glitter nearly as well or as long (but it is cheap and easy to get).  Notorioulsy Morbid just sent me a sample of their new primer/glue product, but I have not yet tried it.

If I am wearing a duo chrome, I always use GDE's Foil Me.  That seems to heighten color and shift for me.  Darling Girl's Superstar serum is supposed to be good for this purpopse as well, but I currently only use it to make liners out of my loose shadows.

So far I've mostly been using theBalm's primer, or Too Faced Shadow Insurance primer for my indies. I've used the GDE Glitter Fix as well, which is a sticky base. That's going to intensify most duochromes, or sparkles, but it's hard to blend. You've really gotta place your shadow exactly where you want it, because there's no going back! So regular mainstream brand primers for blendability, sticky bases from the indie companies for maximum sparkle!

I just use two faces shadow insurance and that does the trick for me with no problem.

I've never tried any pixie epoxy of the GDE foil me or glitter fix. They are on my SS wishlist though so I won't be purchasing them until after JIC.

etf: apparently my iPhone thought foil should be foul instead.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use UD primer, and GDE's glitter fix. Kelly is right about the glitter fix, know where you want to put your shadow once it's down its down! Glitter fix is great for loose glitter, I use it when I want a glittery eyeliner. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I use GDE Control Freak (a prototype version that has never been for sale) as primer and then Foil Me or Glitter Fix on top of that for SPARKLE POWER.  FM and GF are intended to be used on top of primer, and they may not wear well if you use them directly on your skin.  I also have probably six different mainstream primers plus elf glitter glue, but Control Freak is the one I keep going back to.  I'm not wild about the jar, though.  It's in a regular shadow jar, and it's just too deep for me.  I should scoop it out and put it in a clamshell.

(I own but refuse to use a couple of NYX items, like the Milk -- white -- pencil.  They did some nasty stuff to one of my favorite indies, and that was the end of that for me.)

Yes the GDE Glitter Fix can be used under the shadow, or over the top to intensify the sheen. I've also done looks with the GF over the top of a shadow, and then loose glitter on that.

@@meaganola is there somewhere I can read about what happened with nyx? I've seen it mentioned a few times now but just in passing and I don't want to buy from them if there's a reason not to. 

For primer I usually use my UDPP or e.l.f. regular shadow primer for my base color, then I'll use Eccentric Cosmetics primer for bright or loose shadows. I let it sit for a minute then blend out. I haven't used anything with a good glitter primer yet. 

@@meaganola is there somewhere I can read about what happened with nyx? I've seen it mentioned a few times now but just in passing and I don't want to buy from them if there's a reason not to. 
(I own but refuse to use a couple of NYX items, like the Milk -- white -- pencil.  They did some nasty stuff to one of my favorite indies, and that was the end of that for me.)
Oh no, please tell! What happened?

So, maybe I'm a weirdo, but when I'm using glitter fix or pixie epoxy, I find I have a much easier time patting on shadow with my finger rather than using a brush. 

I use a few different ones right now-in my rotation, micabeuty, mac, elf, too faced...sometimes I like to layer the loose over a cream shadow. I used a dark purple color tattoo one day with a light purple hello waffle shadow and geez, I kept staring at myself. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I have quite a bit of primers. For colors that aren't sparkly, I prefer UDPP Eden since it makes most colors pop out more. But for sparkling shadows, I like Too Faced's Glitter Glue, which has a tacky texture that makes glitter stick.

For primer I usually use my UDPP or e.l.f. regular shadow primer for my base color, then I'll use Eccentric Cosmetics primer for bright or loose shadows. I let it sit for a minute then blend out. I haven't used anything with a good glitter primer yet. 
Oh no, please tell! What happened?
From what I can recall, they sent GDE a C&D -- as in shut down operations completely, not just change the name -- because NYX has a mascara called Doll Eyes. 

From what I can recall, they sent GDE a C&D -- as in shut down operations completely, not just change the name -- because NYX has a mascara called Doll Eyes. 
What?!  Really?  Hasn't GDE been around for a few years?!!!  Lame. (On NYX's part not GDE).

What?!  Really?  Hasn't GDE been around for a few years?!!!  Lame. (On NYX's part not GDE).
Yeah, GDE just had their sixth anniversary!  (I have the pretty, pretty lavender eyeshadow to celebrate this fact.)  The letter was at least several months ago, but I'm pretty sure it was within the last year and a half or so since that's when I started following them, and I wouldn't have retained this information if it hadn't happened during that time.

Yeah, GDE just had their sixth anniversary!  (I have the pretty, pretty lavender eyeshadow to celebrate this fact.)  The letter was at least several months ago, but I'm pretty sure it was within the last year and a half or so since that's when I started following them, and I wouldn't have retained this information if it hadn't happened during that time.
I guess it would be flattering to have a mega chain like Nyx (who while smaller than Maybelline or L'oreal is huge) be worried about a small independent company taking away business from them. But really?  Didn't L'oreal's Manga mascara promise baby doll lashes or something?

Sorry to be off topic.  I have like every mainstream primer known to man and for indies I have Fyrinnae's Pixi epoxy, GDE Control freak and foil me.

I'm *really* looking forward to trying NM's Shadow Bind!  I think it's being released in January.  I have *no clue* why, but I'm really starting to want to get *every* indie primer/glue/mixing medium/etc., although at the moment, I just have GDE stuff.  I've heard excellent things about Darling Girl's Superstar Serum, so I've got that on my list for next year (they are conveniently helping me stick to not placing a DG order right now by being closed until January).

I have DG's glitter glue and GDE's glitter fix. I primarily use glitter glue when I want the sparkles to stick. I ordered DG's superstar serum, so that'll probably come in a few weeks. I really want to try using it to turn my sparkly shadows into liners.

For mainstream primers, I use Nars smudgeproof shadow primer. It works really well for me, and I use it alone without a sticky base sometimes with my less glittery indies, and it works fine.

I'm *really* looking forward to trying NM's Shadow Bind!  I think it's being released in January.  I have *no clue* why, but I'm really starting to want to get *every* indie primer/glue/mixing medium/etc., although at the moment, I just have GDE stuff.  I've heard excellent things about Darling Girl's Superstar Serum, so I've got that on my list for next year (they are conveniently helping me stick to not placing a DG order right now by being closed until January).
I got a mini of it in my order I received yesterday (to "make up" for my order shipping later than it should have), and I haven't tried it yet but I'm really excited to! I'll let you know how it is!

I'm curious to know everyone's favorite method. Do you use a primer and a base?  One or the other? In what order do you like to use things? Always like learning what works for everyone else.

I change it up a lot and haven't really found my favorite method...but I am liking Impulse Cosmetics' base!

I really need a tutorial or something that shows how to use all the different primers/bases.  Like I have a few from different companies and I have no idea how to use or how to know when to use which one.  I need a definitive guide that says like....if you want to bring out a duochrome, use this kind of base and this is how you use that base. 

Latest posts

Back