So,what's the consensus on PETROLEUM JELLY?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I used it few times on my face and LOVED it,but I don't wanna use it regularly if it really has serious long term consequences like some are saying :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

What do you think?

I don't know anything about long term consequences. I do know that many many people have been using it for everything for many years, so I have no personal reason to believe that it's not safe.

That said, I do try to avoid petroleum products because the idea of them grosses me out.

The question here really is, are you sure that the piece of skin you are slathering that jelly on is clean? Many labs use petroleum jelly to grow bacterial cultures because it creates an impenetrable layer on the surface, effectively sealing everything underneath, so bacteria grows twice as fast. Does your skin look good when you take it off or does it only create an illusion of good skin when you wear it? 

Technically, petroleum jelly isn't a moisturizer. It does help retain moisture as it can act like a barrier as mentioned above. Therefore, it might be too much for someone with oily skin, but someone with very dry skin would probably have to use some moisturizer first. I know that there are people who have used it for decades with no complaint, particularly in drier climates. 

I think like a lot of things, it also depends on your skin and it's personal tolerances and sensitivities. 

Product with a million uses! I love slathering it on my feet before bed, top with cotton socks and waking with baby soft feet.

@@ZeeOmega said it best - Petroleum Jelly is NOT a moisturizer. It is a moisture barrier, effectively sealing everything on top OUT and everything underneath IN. So it makes a good choice for say, diaper areas, because it keeps wetness from irritating the skin underneath. But I wouldn't recommend it as a moisturizer for any part of your body, including face, lips or hands.

Marilyn Monroe used to use Vaseline as a moisturizer. We've come a long way with skincare since then, so I would recommend buying an actual skin cream, but I think it's a fun fact. I think it's a great makeup remover, though I'm not a fan of the slimy residue it leaves behind, personally. As for clogging pores, the molecules are actually too large to get in there, so no need to worry about that. To my knowledge, there are only two grades of petroleum jelly, so as long as it's cosmetic-grade, you should be good to go. I've never heard of anyone having bad effects from using Vaseline, though it doesn't have any anti-aging qualities or Vitamins so I think if you did use it as a moisturizer you would only be cheating yourself out of some great skincare. It's great for a whole slew of other purposes though! 

I used it few times on my face and LOVED it,but I don't wanna use it regularly if it really has serious long term consequences like some are saying :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

What do you think?
I think you may be worried after reading this http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/21/vaseline-petroleum-jelly_n_4136226.html.   Nothing in the article is proven scientifically as far as I know.   The petroleum jelly I used for my 2 kids when they were babies were approved by the FDA and there hasn't been a recall so I guess the jury is still out.

I try to avoid it because of the controversy. I used with with my first son but with my 2 other kids I used a petroleum free products. I just wanted to use more natural products with them after learning about the controversy.

Latest posts

Back