Pressing your loose shadows

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kelly Silva

Evolution of a Foodie
Reaction score
Now that you've amassed your giant indie loose shadow collection, you're starting to get pressing fever...what's your pressing formula/technique/secret to buttery smooth pressed shadows? What do you store them in? Did you buy a premade palette or make your own?

I started wanting to try my hand at pressing some shadows as Christmas gifts for friends and family, and started with the TKB Trading Pressing Medium, but it turned everything rock hard, even with only one drop. So I read that a lot of people use Fractionated Coconut Oil so I'm trying that instead. You need usually 2 drops per 1/4 teaspoon, but I think it's working for me. Much softer pressed shadows than they were before! So I'm still working on some. Thinking of pressing my mom a neutrals palette and a friend a geeky themed palette, with indie shadows.

I hate repressing broken shadows so much, I can't imagine doing it by choice to my loose shadows! Is pressing a loose shadow easier or harder than pressing one that has been broken since the broken one was pressed at least once before?

I hate repressing broken shadows so much, I can't imagine doing it by choice to my loose shadows! Is pressing a loose shadow easier or harder than pressing one that has been broken since the broken one was pressed at least once before?
I am not sure I have never repressed a broken shadow! It's definitely time consuming, but if you have all the materials it can be relaxing I think.

I am not sure I have never repressed a broken shadow! It's definitely time consuming, but if you have all the materials it can be relaxing I think.
I love stupidly tedious tasks like this (i think its the type a personality in me) so I'm definitely wanting to try it sometime.

Is it bad that I've been hoping to break a blush or something sometime just so I can try it? hahahah.

I love stupidly tedious tasks like this (i think its the type a personality in me) so I'm definitely wanting to try it sometime.

Is it bad that I've been hoping to break a blush or something sometime just so I can try it? hahahah.
Me too. I think I know exactly what you mean.
I have been wanting to press some of my shadows, but I'm afraid of wrecking my pretties.

Last edited by a moderator:
Me too. I think I know exactly what you mean.

I have been wanting to press some of my shadows, but I'm afraid of wrecking my pretties.
I practiced on the free samples I get in orders! That way if it gets messed up I didn't spend money on them, and if they work out and I really like them, I can always order more.

I second practicing on the free samples. I also bought clearance shadows from Aromaleogh to practice on. 50 cent samples made me feel more confident.

I've been thinking about doing this! I got one of those palettes to do it-- set to arrive in another two weeks or so XD But it just seems like there are a lot of supplies, sigh. At least I have the shadow prepared. So many baggies and terrifying clamshells.

I really want to do this, especially with my baggies of neutral colors. I didn't realize how many baggies I have, and now I understand why so many are reluctant to get them- they're easy to  pass up when you have jars of other colors. But I love my Aromaleigh colors, and I would love to make a palette as I said before and put them in a UNII palette thingy.

@ what did you buy? And @@Kelly Silva do you have a link for the one you bought?

Also, about how much of one color do you need? (For example, how many Aromaleigh sample baggies would it take to fill up one of the pan types that you're buying?)

I really want to do this, especially with my baggies of neutral colors. I didn't realize how many baggies I have, and now I understand why so many are reluctant to get them- they're easy to  pass up when you have jars of other colors. But I love my Aromaleigh colors, and I would love to make a palette as I said before and put them in a UNII palette thingy.

@ what did you buy? And @@Kelly Silva do you have a link for the one you bought?

Also, about how much of one color do you need? (For example, how many Aromaleigh sample baggies would it take to fill up one of the pan types that you're buying?)
I got this! http://www.amazon.com/Magnetic-Cosmetics-Eyeshadow-Aluminum-Palette/dp/B009CRUDRW/

They're also like $5-7 on eBay too, but I had some amazon credit lying around.

I've seen a couple of bloggers press them into this pan, so I think it's okay. I'll take some photos when I get it.

Also, if we're talking about storage options, I saw a blogger mention this: http://newlyvain.blogspot.com/2014/07/loose-shadow-storage.html

This blogger uses this palette: http://hantasticbeauty.blogspot.com/2013/07/diy-how-to-press-loose-eyeshadow-and.html

I looked at the reviews for both on Amazon, and it seems like the 12 pan one has slightly better reviews.

The 12-pan one: http://naturallybeautifulreviews.blogspot.com/2013/08/how-to-press-loose-mineral-eyeshadows.html

So... I'm excited. LOL Just gotta buy all this other stuff now XD

Pans: 15mm round tin pans for sample baggies, 26mm round pans for jars. 15mm pressing kit, 26mm pressing kit.

Supplies: TKBTrading pressing binder that I did not like, switched to Fractionated Coconut Oil, this can probably be found somewhere else cheaper, but I needed it 2-day Amazon Prime shipping. I also use pressing ribbon. You'll also need isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) I use 70%.

Palettes: Book of Shadows (anothersoul), or I have been eyeing this other store MiniMintPalette, but she has very limited stock and I have not been able to grab one I liked yet.

There are several pressing tutorials, so I would find one you like. I personally use a formula of 2 drops coconut oil per 1/4 teaspoon eyeshadow, mix, add drops of alcohol until the eyeshadow comes together in a sort of ball/pool, pour into sterilized pan, use pressing ribbon and pressing stamper to press several times until the ribbon is clean. Then let dry for 24-48 hours. Sterilize all tools, bowls, and hands before doing anything.

I personally would not follow this tutorial, the owner of Fyrinnae personally recommended to not use glycerin as a pressing medium, and recommend the fractionated coconut oil, which is why I use it. It has a basically infinite shelf life, and that's why it's commonly used as a carrier oil for perfume oils. It has no smell, and will not spoil.
I was just talking about the type of palette the blogger used, but that is a useful tip. How much oil do you use for a press? you linked to the 16oz one which seems terrifying. I remember like last year, my friend pressed some shadows and was trying to foist the rest on us if we needed any.

I believe these are the smaller pans: http://www.amazon.com/Makeup-Empty-Aluminum-Eyeshadow-Palette/dp/B00B1N66F8/

I was just talking about the type of palette the blogger used, but that is a useful tip. How much oil do you use for a press? you linked to the 16oz one which seems terrifying. I remember like last year, my friend pressed some shadows and was trying to foist the rest on us if we needed any.

I believe these are the smaller pans: http://www.amazon.com/Makeup-Empty-Aluminum-Eyeshadow-Palette/dp/B00B1N66F8/
2 drops per 1/4 teaspoon shadow. There should be a smaller 4 oz option on that link, stupid Amazon doesn't have a separate link for it.

Has anyone added cap-5 (preservative) to their pressed eyeshadows?  I follow the tutorial from Portrait of Mai and she uses it and suggests using it but I haven't bothered with it yet.  It's cheap though so I feel like I should try it out.

Has anyone added cap-5 (preservative) to their pressed eyeshadows?  I follow the tutorial from Portrait of Mai and she uses it and suggests using it but I haven't bothered with it yet.  It's cheap though so I feel like I should try it out.
I haven't. Mostly out of laziness. It would be really easy to do though, just add the right ratio to your pressing binder, and be done with it.

Thank you both for all the help!! Bookmarking this so when I can afford to buy anything, I'll know what to get. The only thing that worries me is adding a preservative, just because I'm so uncrafty and extra steps= more room to mess up!

Welp, I bought a MiniMint palette the other day because I got the update that she restocked. Off to press more. 

In regards to my tools, I've been using Jojoba oil & 90% alcohol bc I was too lazy to go get the 70% stuff. I've had some hits and misses, but like y'all, been using freebies. I think I need to use a smidge less oil & really, REALLY mix it well. 

Welp, I bought a MiniMint palette the other day because I got the update that she restocked. Off to press more. 

In regards to my tools, I've been using Jojoba oil & 90% alcohol bc I was too lazy to go get the 70% stuff. I've had some hits and misses, but like y'all, been using freebies. I think I need to use a smidge less oil & really, REALLY mix it well. 
Ooh nice let us know how that MiniMint palette is! I've got quite a few Book of Shadows ones that I can probably fill plus some. I think I've got a good formula now, so the real test will be on some less press friendly shades. And practice practice practice!

Latest posts

Back