Let's Talk Indie Subs

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meaganola

Uh Huh Her
Reaction score
I started to make this thread specific to innocent+twisted alchemy (I'm going to try to get a subscription tomorrow.  Their process confuses the hell out of me!), but I think these generally have a much smaller subscriber base than pretty much every other sub, so I'm lumping them together because I want to know:  What other indie subscriptions are out there?  I tried Madd Cat Monthly for a few months, and it just didn't thrill me, but I'm always looking for another sub to try!  It's difficult to track down reviews for these sorts of subs when the whole reason you're looking is because you're trying to discover new companies you don't already know about.

I just received my first innocent+twisted alchemy subscription bag! I went for the sample version of the sub, and that's $12 for *full* clamshells.  Completely packed. They promise three shades a month plus surprise samples.  I think they always throw in samples from other indies and don't usually send samples of their own stuff aside from the three sub shades, but there was some sort of debacle with a certain shade last month (it just would not blend correctly in the manufacturing process, and it was apparently a streaky mess, so it was officially trashed until it can be reformulated), and as a result, i+ta decided to make it up to subscribers with a couple of items that were apparently done just for this sub. Although I didn't receive one of the bad shades because I didn't subscribe until this month, I got the makeup makeup!

Shadows (I'm horrible at descriptions, so these are my best approximations):

• Unleashed Memories -- gray-purple with pink and gold sparkles. And maybe some blue.
  • Shameless Illusions -- purple-gray with the same sparkles
  • Into Eternity -- pinky-beige with aqua sparkles
i+ta sorry-that-other-shade-sucked items: Pressed blush in clamshells! The colors will be available as regular loose blush, but she did some pressed versions just for the sub. Descriptions per i+ta on Facebook:

• Vacant Smile -- Light orchid with a golden sheen
  • Whispering Spells -- Shimmer yellow based pink with blue shimmers
Every month, she also sends bonus items from other indie beauty companies. This month happens to be her birthday (and the company's fifth anniversary, which is going to translate to a sale and Anniversary colors), so she picked her favorite products from her favorite indie companies.

• OHWTO (One Hand Washes the Other) Black Magic soap. IN THE SHAPE OF A TINY SKULL. It's extremely fragrant (my mailbox will probably smell like this stuff for weeks to come because it was warm today), but it's not *perfumey* fragrant. It's a whole lot of lemongrass, tea tree, peppermint, rosemary, and citrus. And there was a 15% off code included! Alas, it was the only coupon code this time around.
  • Shiro Cosmetics tinted lip balm (in a clamshell) -- Multiple shades were sent out. I received Who Swallowed a Star. This is almost definitely going on my Crafty Wonderland shopping list based solely on how it looks in the container. The big question is how it feels on my lips.
  • Kiss My Sass lip glaze -- Again, multiple shades were sent out. I received Juicy Peach. It looks like this might not be available for purchase, though.
  • Scaredy Cat Cosmetics eyeshadow -- THE CUTEST PIGMENT SAMPLE EVER. Do not click that link unless you are ready to place an order. They're *that* adorable. The only thing saving me from ordering *right now* is the fact that I have this one to admire until I get the funds together to get the complete Trial Vial set. I don't know how many shades were sent out, but I received Don't Be Koi.
  • Black Violet body butter (in a 6ml jar, for those who might be wondering about the size)) -- There were three scents sent out: Red Lotus, Lilikoi and Momotaro. I ended up with Red Lotus.
Oh, yeah, and you also get a 35% off coupon code. So. Twelve bucks. Three *packed* shadow clamshells, two pressed blushes, a freakishly adorable Trial Vial of pigment, two different lip product samples, a tiny jar of body butter, and a SOAP SKULL. I'm satisfied that I will get my money's worth with this sub. I'm a huge pigment collector, so I'm not going to switch to a full-sized subscription because samples are better for me.

Gah, these photos turned out *huge*!  I can't figure out how to make them smaller, so I'm putting them behind a spoiler.

There were two smaller packages in the bubbleope:  A bag and an envelope.  The woman who runs this is an artist, and these are her drawings!

Inside the envelope:

Inside the bag (if you get this sub, be sure to check out the business cards!  Some of them will have coupon codes.  There was only one coupon code this month, but that doesn't mean there won't be more next time around):

The i+ta items.  The ones with the black and white labels are the shadows. and the ones with the color labels are the blushes:

Swatches!  Side note:  Everything looks super washed out and *far* more yellow than in real life in this photo, but everything except Into Eternity is nice and bright, and IE isn't the sort of color that will *ever* be bright.  It took me so long to get these uploaded that I gave up trying to get more accurate color.  The four pigments are over NYX Milk pencil, and the blushes and lip colors are on bare skin.

Top row, L to R: Unleashed Memories, Shameless Illusions, and Into Eternity

Middle row, L to R: Kiss My Sass lip glaze and Shiro Cosmetics lip balm

Bottom row, L to R:  Vacant Smile blush, Whispering Spells blush, and Scredy Cat Cosmetics pigment (SO SPARKLY)

AND THE SKULL.  That's my thumb with the glittery POW! nail wrap (Espionage Cosmetics Comic Book wraps):

Oh, and there's also a little flyer that lists all of the i+ta colors, links to all of the other participating brands, ingredients (for the i+ta items), why things were picked out, a little story about the illustration on the flyer, and (the reason I'm not posting a photo of the flyer) the i+ta discount code for the month.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm kind of intrigued by this. Do you know if the one you got was for April or May? I'm curious if I subscribe now, I'll get the same or like the next month.

I'm kind of intrigued by this. Do you know if the one you got was for April or May? I'm curious if I subscribe now, I'll get the same or like the next month.
This was May. All of the May sub slots are full and already sent out, so you wouldn't get these shades. It is my understanding that subscription slots open on a specific day (the 26th?) even though it looks like signups are always open. Keep an eye out on Facebook for more info!

(She sometimes has leftovers of the three shades that go up for sale as a set later in the month, but those sets don't include the extras.)

This was May. All of the May sub slots are full and already sent out, so you wouldn't get these shades. It is my understanding that subscription slots open on a specific day (the 26th?) even though it looks like signups are always open. Keep an eye out on Facebook for more info!

(She sometimes has leftovers of the three shades that go up for sale as a set later in the month, but those sets don't include the extras.)
Thanks!! I'll be keeping an eye on this one.

If MuT ever decides to organize the subscription lists well, there are already 3-4 " indie' makeup subs which are popular, and I am listing them, but mostly I am posting my list of what I know to be both AVAILABLE at most times ( with the exception of the new NM sub which I expect to add memberships as they grow) and what is really good and unique ( and affordable, did I mention affordable?? :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />).

1) Gourmet Body Treats - really nice curation of body products, facial skin care and makeup products which are natural and organic- Already discussed on MuT under General Subscriptions
http://gourmetbodytreats.com/beauty-box

2) Rainbow Honey Mystery bag- either mini or large sized bag with emphasis on their custom blended scents and their beautiful custom nail polishes ( usually glitters and blended colors), Already discussed somewhat on MuT under General Subscriptions

http://www.rainbowhoney.com/collections/rainbow-honey-mystery-bag/products/mystery-bag-subscription

3) Brazen Friends With Benefits- 3 sizes of products, 3 levels of memberships with different monthly prices.Again, no review because it's reviewed and discussed under General Subscriptions

http://shop.brazencosmetics.com/pages/friends-with-benefits

Newer and not discussed in the General Subscriptions section are the following FABULOUS Indie Makeup subs which I know about from personal research and experience and subscribe to monthly:

1) The new sub from NotoriouslyMorbid, The Vanishing Cabinet subscription. New with no openings at present, but this may change as they grow in knowledge of curating a sub box. A mix of custom blended eye shadows and some lip gloss. The cost is $12.00/ mth.

http://www.notoriouslymorbid.com/category_75/The-Vanishing-Cabinet.htm

2) Madd Style Cosmetics- The Madd Cat Monthly Box.

http://www.maddstylecosmetics.com/subscribe-to-the-madd-cat-monthly-box

This is a fun subscription of custom made EVERYTHING. Subscriptions are open.Samples  include lippies, blushes, eye shadows including full sized eye shadows not available anywhere else. It's $12.00 recurring. You Cat lovers, try it!! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

3) Victorian Discohttp://victoriandisco.com/shop/monthly-subscription/

Cost is $13.00/mth. Subscriptions are open as far as I know. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Items sent to subscribers include the following; One full sized eye shadow color OTM; One Special eye shadow OTM for the subscribers only; One lip gloss sample and one blush sample, all custom formulated.

They add a lot of fun freebies like candy, stickers, a free eye shadow, lippie, blush, whatever for fun. I love this subscription. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Much was posted about Innocent+Twisted's sub but I've never seen a time when there was an opening. I wouldn't post subs which are not obtainable except to say that the Vanishing Cabinet one filled up tonight at MN, but it's new, and the owners may open up new spots as they get a better feel for the curation. OK? 

Now, do YOU have any great " Indie' makeup subs you would like to add to this list? We are losing sub which has had what appears to be a somewhat large and loyal following among MuT members- Saffron Rouge's Inner Circle. I was not lucky enough to ever get one of their boxes, but I really feel for those with an empty place in the Indie sub niche now. I hope one of these subs will help you find something NEW and GREAT and most of all, UNIQUE!!!!

Please post about your favorite Indie makeup subs. They are coming, and going, fairly frequently it seems. Maybe we at MuT can support them if they are great and help them stay " alive". :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Okay so here is a list of current subscription boxes from indies:

-Hello Waffle Visage

-I+TA 

-GDE OTM

-Notoriously Morbid Vanishing Cabinet

-Brazen Cosmetics

-Kiss my Sass

-All Natural Face

I'm signed up for Aromaleigh (YAY!) but considering adding another to replace my ipsy (won't stop sending hand cream and lip gloss despite my protests). Obviously I'd LOVE an OTM but I'm considering the others. To those subscribed to these, what are your thoughts?

I love the Notoriously Morbid Vanishing Cabinet. The themes are always awesome, the packaging for the past couple months has been amazing, and it's a great deal - $12.90 a month shipped for 4-5 shadows and usually a lip product.

Only ones I have are aromaleigh once it starts, and fortune cookie soap. I try and snag an OTM if I can on a month by month basis, but once no buy is over (it's getting so close to starting I want to cry) I may add NM if I can get in.

I have 5 of them, and currently am most excited to get the OTM and the Vanishing Cabinet. Visage is getting up there too, especially since I can use the whole thing for multiple looks. And I am very excited to see the first Ephemera!

I LOVE Notoriously Morbid. 4-5 eyeshadows and the occasional lip product  with great horror themes? YES. Serious favorite (tied with GDE)

I+TA I like overall but I have a serious dislike for clamshell samples (but she really DOES pack them full!) Its fully a personal issue as her eyeshadows are lovely and she normally gives a lot of samples from other indie companies (Including perfumes sometimes). If you are all about discovering new companies, this sub is GREAT! Also if you like Anime its perfect. Overall, Great sub, but I might be dropping it soon just because I am swimming in makeup lately and Horror subs (like NM will win over Anime for me)

GDE OTM, if you can get them, they are awesome! WELL worth the money and super cute. I've been really lucky as I have been getting them consecutively since Sept but it is a serious blood bath on release day and they can go up at random times.

I have not tried for the Hello Waffle sub, nothing personal, I am just not a cat person and I would rather the cat people have first dibs for a sub they will enjoy more than I will :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I am SO excited for Aromaleigh!!!!! Like seriously, I'm freaking out. Its gonna be awesome and I know it. I love their products and cant wait for a sub.

GDE will remain my first love, but if you can get in and dig the horror aesthetic, NM Vanishing Cabinet, definitely. 

(BTW, the Visage themes aren't cat-oriented!  The first one was based on the original fairy tale that _Beauty and the Beast_ was based on, and the second one was based on _A Christmas Carol_.  I get the feeling she's going to continue to draw from fairy tale and literature sources for this.  I'm an absolute sucker for anything fairy tale-related.  But if you don't get in the sub and still want to get your hands on the items in it, she will be putting them up on the site for individual sale a couple of weeks after the sub goes out or, if the shop is closed during that time as it is right now due to holiday orders, the following month during that next month's sub-items-in-the-shop window.)

Also:  OH, HOT DAMN, KISS MY SASS BROUGHT BACK THEIR SUB?  The last time I looked, they had stopped it.  I was very sad!  I'll have to look into that this weekend after payday!

I really want to pick up some indie subs in 2015, at the top of my list right now is GDE, Hello Waffle, and NM Vanishing Cabinet. But I've been digging around to see if there are any others I wanna try too.

I didn't know KMS had one as well! Darn no buy! If its meant to be I can snag it later in the year then!

I+TA is my least favorite. It's not a bad subscription, it's just the one I use the least.

HW Visage, GDE's OTM, and NM's VC are all tied for awesome in my book. I don't plan on dropping any of them anytime soon! I'd say you'd be happy with any of these if you can snag them. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I have had gde otm since July 2013 and I am really hoping to get one again...i really wish it was still a pay for the whole thing at once sub

Just a little housekeeping FYI, in case anyone was wondering what happened:  I merged an old indie sub thread from the general sub section into the one in the rabbit hole.  I had completely forgotten the one in the general sub section even existed until someone posted in it yesterday!

Back