Any professional tips for applying loose and pressed powder?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
from youtube....(what I have been going by until I bought a makeup sponge)

A loose powder is for the more oilier skin types

And then there is Pressed powder...the great thing about pressed powder is that it can be used on anybody's skin. You can also you this to freshen up your foundation throughout the day. If it is looking patchy...take some pressed powder with a powder puff or brush and swirl around your face. Blot the skin before you reapply some powder otherwise you will get a cakey look.

--------------------------------------

A few questions I have:

1) What does it mean to blot the skin? does that mean blot it moisture(water) with a slightly damp makeup sponge?

2) I have a wet and dry pressed powder and it looks like a way to use this is take a slightly damp sponge on it.

Here's a few videos on applying pressed powder:

not sure if she dampened the sponge or if this specific pressed powder can be used wet....

3)How damp should I get the sponge before using the pressed powder? when I first got the sponge I just squeezed the wet sponge a little bit to make it damp and then dipped it in the pressed powder....I fear perhaps I ruined my wet/dry pressed powder by getting it too damp? Should I squeeze the water/moisture of my sponge to "slightly damp" or should I get it to "extremely damp/nearly dry" by squeezing  the life out of the sponge?

4) I have seen various youtube videos regarding when to apply bronzer/contouring ....some say apply contours before pressed powder/powder some say apply contours after pressed powder/powder. (this is regarding pressed/regular blush/bronzer/highlighter not liquid/creme blush/bronzer/highlighter....I know that liquid/creme blush/bronzer, highlighter should be applied before pressed powder)  I seem to need to apply too much bronzer in order to get a good contour...I am trying to reduce the amount of bronzer/blush I need to use and I think by knowing how and when to use pressed powder/powder better I can succeed at this.

Should I squeeze the water/moisture of my sponge to "slightly damp" or should I get it to "extremely damp/nearly dry" by squeezing  the life out of the sponge?....

I meant to say "very slightly damp/nearly dry".

Hello Quinn,

How are you? I hope you've had a lovely day. I will begin to answer your questions below:

1. Blotting is basically the removal of excess oil from your skin. This prevents excess shine and makes makeup last longer during the day. You can blot with a tissue or you can buy blotting sheets from your local beauty store. You blot by lightly pressing the tissue or sheet on your skin. It will remove any excess oil without messing up your makeup.

2. You can use your pressed powder either way; damp or dry, depending on the look and coverage you are going for.

3. Yes squeeze the life out of it:D. Make sure it feels 'cold' and 'slippery' not 'wet' and don't drench it in a lot of water in the first place. You can buy a spray bottle so you can be able to control the quantity better, only a few spritzes should do.

4. What exactly is the question? if its cream, apply before foundation or after but definitely before powder. If its powder, then after. If you realise you keep needing more bronzer to contour, then get a cream formula instead of a powder.

I hope this helps, but if doesn't, don't hesitate to let me know.

All the best,

Stacey:)

Back