How do you store your indie collection?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been quickly amassing an army of little jars, but I have no idea what the best way to store them is. What do you do? Pictures appreciated. 

I have a couple sets of little drawers like this.  I know some people store their shadows on their side, but I sort mine by color, so I have a mix of sizes and shapes, which makes sideways storage kind of difficult.  Then pressed shadows and shadows that don't fit go on top.  I also have a small drawer for shadows I haven't sorted into a color category yet. 20141219_195151.jpg

That particular drawer has pinks and whites :)

Right now my little jars are all in a caboodle box. I'm looking at getting a couple Muji acrylic 5-drawer units but I don't have anywhere to put storage like that at the moment. I have no good vanity area right now but I should be moving sometime this spring :)

eta: This pic is super blurry but it shows the box I'm currently using. I'm totally out of room now, though. My poor unloved mainstream palettes are all in the big part in the bottom. 

caboodle.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I used a craft storage unit from Walmart - I think someone asked about it before and I forgot to take a picture. It has eight small drawers and four large drawers. The small can fit 11 large shadow jars, or 13 mini jars. Since the large drawers are twice the size, I assume they'd fit 22/26 but I also have lip products, baggies, and these huge bead containers that I took out of my old storage. The large drawers are also deeper than the small ones - for scale, in the pulled out small drawer I have full sized Aromaleigh shadows. In the pulled out large drawer, I have the MoC upright, and then the December NM VC sideways on top.

It's in my closet right now, ha ha, hopefully if we move again soon, I can get it somewhere more accessible! Also, don't mind my other random stuff, I didn't crop everything out. The green Sterilite unit is where I keep palettes and back-ups. :wizard:

84AE6372-A033-4325-A72D-CD6B3DDD191D_zpskcna2gq4.jpg

Edit: Forgot to mention, it is $12.95. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I"m stalking this thread so much because I NEED new storage. I got tired of the little plastic drawers I was using for the shadows because they'd roll everywhere when I opened and closed them. Right now, they're lined up in some Glossybox lids, lol.

I have a caboodle like the one above, but stopped using it for things I use often because it takes so much space in all 4 directions to open! I might have to revisit it, though.

I'm also having trouble deciding how to organize. I really like/want everything sorted by color, in rainbow order. But I also want collections together. I have more collections than non-collections, but just organizing by collection and then non-collection just isn't quite "right" in my weird brain, either. Its' driving me nuts. I'm going to have to settle by each collection in rainbow order within the collection, and the collections in alphabetical order, and then otms/gwps in order, and then general collection.

My need to organize things by color is a struggle, tbh.

I just bought these based on @@marigoldsue's recommendation: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NEMN63E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They fit jars vertically which is what I have been on the hunt for! I also ordered this for my bath and body stuff: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004ZL9QKA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And lipstick organizers fit 5ml perfume bottles well.
This is what those bins look like when full of Indies. This is my GDE collection only. I can stack 3-4 of these on top of each other in my drawer.

image.jpg

This is what those bins look like when full of Indies. This is my GDE collection only. I can stack 3-4 of these on top of each other in my drawer.
It's even more beautiful when it's full! I ordered 6, think I'll have enough?  :laughno:

It's even more beautiful when it's full! I ordered 6, think I'll have enough?  :laughno:
Nope.  Maybe for now, but at the rate you order, they will be full in no time.  I only bought one today.  I wanted to make sure they worked for my needs.  I think they do.  Now I need to figure out how many more I need.

Nope.  Maybe for now, but at the rate you order, they will be full in no time.  I only bought one today.  I wanted to make sure they worked for my needs.  I think they do.  Now I need to figure out how many more I need.
Just a heads up, Amazon offers a 6 pack at just over $9 a piece. $10 a piece because they raised the price in the few hours since I ordered  <_<

I use fishing tackle boxes because they have multiple levels, they are inexpensive, stack nicely and I can fit the larger blush, face powders, foundation jars on the bottom under the trays or on top if I use them a lot.  

ETA:  I have HUNDREDS of eye shadow, blush and face samples in baggies.  Those are in plastic slide or card holders in a 3-ring binder separated by company and color, with my favorite collections in their own sections.

I use the 14 inch husky small parts containers from home depot.  they cost about $6 each and hold about 75 jars and have adjustable dividers which help with the rollong.  I have 5 of them stacked

I use these cheapo bait/tackle storage cases from Wal-mart for my shadows. They're about $4, pretty-good sized, and have modular partitions.

zCD9S4y.jpg

I lay my shadows on their sides so I can see the colors, makes finding things a lot easier. 

1ODzOBX.jpg

Indie blushes/lippies just go with the rest of my blushes/lip products.

Latest posts

Back