Where to go once you've fallen off the wagon?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Despite the best no/low-buy intentions - sometimes we have a lapse otherwise known as a shopping spree.  I think its important to forgive one's self and move on rather than dwelling though it can feel really good to fess up.  For those of us who want to fess up and do so uncensored - I think THIS is the place to do it!

I believe there is (or at least there was) an "I slipped up thread" floating around somewhere

I believe there is (or at least there was) an "I slipped up thread" floating around somewhere
That's ok, I kind of like the idea of new threads. This section of the forum is kind of changing a bit anyway, I kind of feel like a new thread is fresh and good every once-in-a-while, even if it's of a similar to another, older thread.

Alright, so I'm here to confess for falling off the wagon this December. I had planned purchases for this month, but I went over that.

Attention- this is a spoiler tag-free zone, so if you don't want to be possibly enabled, don't read any further! Basically.... spoiler alert for anything below this!~~~~~~~

My initial slip-up was $94 over my original 'planned purchases' (at Victoria's Secret, Bath and Body Works, and a second Sephora order with the $20 off $50 card, which works two times- once for regular Sehpora, and once for SiJCP.)

THEN with this stupid 250 extra points on fragrance/ 20% off sale items at Sephora, I spent $14.60 on 3 orders: A $1 hair tie (Doh!), 2 $1 nail polishes, and a $10 Lavanila rollerball (originally $19). I gained 513 points for those, instead of what would have been 13 points. I cashed in my points for the Hourglass 500-pt perk.

So there's my story for December. $108.60 over my budget. We only have 10 days left (including today) so let's hope I can stay on the darn wagon!!!! Here's hoping I can actually succeed in my 100-day no-buy coming up!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have fallen off the wagon. I told myself that after the Black Friday sale at Sephora in November I would not purchase any more make up or skincare for the rest of the year... well that didn't happen.

I stopped in at MAC on December 12th to re-purchase my Studio Fix Powder Plus Foundation (which I did need) but then got sucked into buying a Mineralize Skinfinish. Total = $77.97

Then I used the $25 off $50 card on December 13th and purchased the Anastasia Dipbrow Pomade, the Anastasia Brush #12 and the Boscia Clear Complexion Tonic. Total = $57.63

And last night I made an online order at Sephora and took advantage of their 20% of sale items. I went on a bit of a Tarte binge and purchased the Prismatic Eye Color Enhancing Shadow Palette, the Creamy Lipstick Trio and the Glamazon Pure Performance 12 Hour Lipstick in Inspired (which I've wanted FOREVER!) Total = $56.97

I hang my head in shame... GRAND TOTAL = $192.57  :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> The 100 Day No Buy challenge is right around the corner and I can even get through a month without spending almost $200... HELP!

For Cyber Monday I ended up buying $102 USD worth of products from the Bare Minerals website including an assortment of eye loose shadow, loose blush, loose bronzer, a cream eye shadow, a pressed eye shadow pallet, pressed bronzer, and a lipstick pallet.  

Later on this month I made two purchases from the Lancome website.  One was eye shadow $55 CAD + tax with a GWP, shipping incl. and the other was two tubes of lipstick $67 CAD + tax with a different GWP, shipping incl.  If there are two things I don't need any more of - they would be lipstick and eye shadow.

Since I set out to do low/no buy in early October it seems as though my makeup collection has been growing significantly instead of shrinking even a little bit.  My approach to no-buy/low-buy needs to change.  I think I need to do a no-buy not low-buy.

I bought one LE eyeshadow, a nail polish, and nail polish swatch sticks this month. I also bought an eyeshadow palette, but I'm returning it because I don't need it... at all.  I think that's not too bad. 

So there's my story for December. $108.60 over my budget.
Hey lady!  You said in the other thread you'd be interested in discussing this.  

I'm going to cut right to the point:  I think sales, points, and GWPs are a common factor in the slips above where you end up spending more than you planned.  Can you think back to other times when you've gone over budget despite having it planned out?  Were points or a feeling of "getting more than you usually would" involved?

Edit: oops, my no-buy progress should go in the other thread

Hey lady!  You said in the other thread you'd be interested in discussing this.  

I'm going to cut right to the point:  I think sales, points, and GWPs are a common factor in the slips above where you end up spending more than you planned.  Can you think back to other times when you've gone over budget despite having it planned out?  Were points or a feeling of "getting more than you usually would" involved?

Edit: oops, my no-buy progress should go in the other thread
Hey @@subbes !

Yes, you are completely right. If it weren't for the feeling of the deals, I wouldn't have bought any of that stuff, to be honest. It's a big problem, and my Dad has that problem too, which he inherited from my grandmother who also went through the Depression, so it's just a ... kind of nervous habit that's ingrained in me, I think. But also- none of my purchases would help me through a Depression, so umm.... haha?

Anyway, I think I'm safe now until April. I don't know of any good sales to tempt me until Chic week. But the problem is.... if there *were* really good sales, then I know for a fact I'd have an extremely difficult time resisting them, and not only that, but even if I gave myself rules I'd totally talk myself out of them. It's the devil on my shoulder. Hahah!

I fall afoul of that one often myself.  For me, it's the feeling that I've found a super awesome deal and I can't let it get away.  Samples, gifts with purchase, % off.  It's really hard to resist that, and I end up buying things I don't need just so I can get a GWP or a % off.  

In the end, even with the % off or the GWP, I have spent money I don't need to spend, buying things I don't need - and in some cases end up not even liking after the thrill of the chase wears off.  

I keep reminding myself that there will always be another sale.  If i miss this one, well, I can catch the next one.  This doesn't always help.   :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

@@subbes I agree, being totally in the dark about sales is the only way. You know, I think I can probably do that from January through the beginning of April. I'm not going to visit other areas of MUT except for the  No Buy/Low Buy Forum, and sometimes the Makeup Talk general forum.... but maybe I should only allow myself this forum until April! Luckily, my gmail filters out deals into another section, so I never see them unless I look for them. YAY GMAIL!

The best tactic is probably to remain ignorant of the sales and deals, but that would mean avoiding places like MUT.  :/
One of my rules for the 100 days is that I can pretty much only hang out in the No Buy Forum on MUT. I'm trying to savor my last few days on the rest of the site.

Threads outside of this forum that I'm staying subbed to are Secret Santa because there are still reveals and "what hit the trash today". I want to focus more on non-shopping non-internet interests, and I just get too sucked in to the enablers, memebox, and indie threads.

I fell off the wagon today, but since it was to the tune of $8.11, I'm not too upset. I took advantage of Ultas BOGO free and $5 off a $10 Ulta brand purchase to get a powder foundation and brow pencil. The whole "going back to work" scenario has me looking to simplify my morning routine. Now I'm watching you tube tutorials to get ideas on how to use the eye shadow palettes I already own (as opposed to buying new ones "for work").

Latest posts

Back