100 Day No Buy Challenge Slumber Party (General Chat)

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im legit kind of excited. We'll see how long that lasts once it actually starts but I am READY to use up some stuff and cut down the stash a bit!!!

Great idea! @@Kristine Walker  :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I was a bit anxious about starting this challenge but I think I was just over thinking things. 100 days sounds like such a long time but it's really not. I know I can do this! 

Does anyone have any tips on how they are going to stay on the wagon? I think I'm going to unsubscribe from all emails to avoid any temptation.

Great idea! @@Kristine Walker  :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I was a bit anxious about starting this challenge but I think I was just over thinking things. 100 days sounds like such a long time but it's really not. I know I can do this! 

Does anyone have any tips on how they are going to stay on the wagon? I think I'm going to unsubscribe from all emails to avoid any temptation.
I have unsubscribed from all shopping emails, which has helped. My biggest problem, though, is boredom, so I'm going to start up some new hobbies in the new year. I already make soap, but my dad got me candle-making supplies for Christmas, and I'm going to work on pressing my indie shadows too. 

I have unsubscribed from all shopping emails, which has helped. My biggest problem, though, is boredom, so I'm going to start up some new hobbies in the new year. I already make soap, but my dad got me candle-making supplies for Christmas, and I'm going to work on pressing my indie shadows too. 
Oooh good idea! I should find myself a hobby. 

At first I didn't think I was disciplined enough to do a no-buy for 100 days.  The more I think about it - the more I think its a good idea and all I have to do is get myself in the right frame of mind - my wallet will thank me! ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

What I need to remind myself is that I am not going to run out of any particular product type during a 100 day window.  Its possible that I could run out of one colour of a particular product like lip gloss or blush and that isn't a bad thing - just add the package to the pile of empties and start using something else.  There's lots of blush, lip gloss, et al to go through before my stash is at a reasonable level.

The first thing I'm going to run out of will likely be either bb cream or liquid eyeliner.

Oooh good idea! I should find myself a hobby. 
Me too. 

The worst part is... I have hobbies, but I am trying to turn those hobbies into my career, so more often than not they feel like work... And I already work a full time job, so there's very little time for hobbies. Maybe I should finally write that YA book I keep wanting to make happen.

Merry Christmas, all! 

Last edited by a moderator:
Me too. 

The worst part is... I have hobbies, but I am trying to turn those hobbies into my career, so more often than not they feel like work... And I already work a full time job, so there's very little time for hobbies. Maybe I should finally write that YA book I keep wanting to make happen.

Merry Christmas, all! 
You should totally start your YA book! At least draft the character lineage. I'm interested!!!

Merry Christmas everybody and best of luck for the last week before it starts!
Yes, best of luck to everyone! Only 5 days until the new year starts!!!!

Hi! I just stumbled upon this extra board for the 100 day no buy, yay!

I'm so excited to start this no buy! After looking at my ever growing collection of skin care, bath products, makeup, nail polish and unorganized indie eyeshadows I'll be busy for days just sorting through it all!

Plus I have extra tasks to hurdle...organize my makeup (particularly my indie collections), and work on my nail art skills since I just received awesome nail art tools! I'm sure I'll be able to think of other things to occupy my time, plus if I keep on buying I wouldn't be able to enjoy what I already have! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Hi 100'ers!

Dipping my toes in the water over here.  I've been following the other thread and am trying to wrap my head around my parameters.

I recently found out that my summer part-time job as a bartender is gone.  The venue is going with another vendor and I'm not sure if they'll hire us back.  So for now, I'm just a teacher.   :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I'm thinking about using NYE as a time to organize my stash to help me mentally prepare for this.  I have a few other options for NYE that involve going out, but I'm just not feeling it.  Added bonus, I'm home when my dogs freak out at midnight due to fireworks. 

I'm excited for New Years Eve and my new 100 day journey. I will be home, and as long as I have potato chips and dip, I'll be happy!

I reorganized my cosmetics today and felt overwhelmed, and depressed with how much I have. It made me feel down .... but I guess that is the first step to getting better.

I am so impressed with these threads and the positive energy! When I open my email, there among the sales ads are wonderful posts from these threads! You guys are awesome.

I keep clearing my browsing history so I won't get ads from the beauty sites I visit. I was looking at bronzers on a site, and then I went into my email and got a photo of them and a message saying "You know you want it." LOL

This is the last weekend of my old life! :lol:

I'm so enthused over this that I haven't glanced at a single sale! After doing the sort-a-palooza and getting the most incredible Secret Santa gifts I feel glutted and giddy on makeup. For now at least I have zero temptations, which is an odd but exciting feeling of freedom.

Well guys, tomorrow I am going out on a date and in honor of the no-buy (because it seems easier to enter into it slowly rather than going cold turkey on New Year's) I picked out everything and designed my look from only things I had in my collection. I have also done this for all of my holiday parties that I have gone to, because I genuinely do not need anything else clothes, shoes, hair, jewelry, and especially not makeup, At least not for the holidays. 

I have a very specific list because I need to go to Walgreens, which I am going to put here because they have a cosmetics section that sucks me in and we aren't going to do that today. I went in there a few weeks back to buy a fuzzy blanket, a snackeeze cup, and ONE very specific replacement lip balm, and I came home with 5 new lippies.

•  Dark Brown Mascara (this is something that I do need for the school year, when I am extra translucent and sickly looking and black mascara just gets to be too intense). I have none of it currently, I inventoried and checked.
  • Protein Bars 
  • Packing Tape 
  • Shoe Inserts 

Does anyone have any tips on how they are going to stay on the wagon?
I've decided I'm going to try to use things I already have.  I have a flat iron and a curling iron that have never been touched.  I'm not good at styling my hair, so I'm going to learn (and I have a ton of styling products from sub boxes so I don't need to buy anything).  I also have non-beauty-related stuff I don't use or haven't used in a long time, like a sewing machine and a pressure cooker.  So I'm going to learn how to use those.  I have an entire closet full of craft supplies so I'm going to try to work my way through that stash, too.

Also I need to work on cleaning my condo.  That takes up time, which is good.  (I have pets so I should clean much more often than I do.)  And I have a massive number of books (both paper and electronic) that I haven't read, so I'm going to work on that.

I think I'm also going to leave my credit cards at home.  I do a lot of my impulse buying at work when I run out of real work to do.  Can't do that if I don't have the cards with me.  Most of the numbers got changed this year (I shopped at Home Depot and Target) so I don't have them memorized any longer.

For at least the first month, I'm going to go sort/clean whenever I feel the need to shop.  I'm doing a year-long closet clean-out where on Jan 1st, you take all the clothes in your closet and hang them backwards.  Everytime you pull something and wear it, hang it back the regular way.  At the end of the year, anything you haven't worn that year (excluding formalwear or not-regular clothing) that is still hanging backwards must be given away/donated/trashed (if it's torn/has holes/etc).

So if I'm wanting to shop, I'll go to my closet and design an outfit based on something I haven't worn in awhile!  It will spark my creativity AND help me not spend money!

Latest posts

Back