Kristine Walker

100 Day No Buy Challenge Slumber Party (General Chat)

I went ahead and canceled my ss monthly sub.  My no buy is more about not bringing more stuff into my apartment and a monthly sub adds 5 new items each month. I'm still keeping birchbox and one monthly sub should be enough.

• Like 1

Ok I'm getting nervous. It's starting to seem real and I'm getting grabby hands. But on the plus side I'm hoping makeup clean out tomorrow helps put things in perspective

Edited by bsquared
  • Like 6

Ladies, I gave away some nail polish! It seems minor but I tend to hoard everything just in case I might want to use it one day. My mom and sister were over for the holidays and wanted to look at my collection. There were a couple of colors they liked, so I let them keep them. I have well over 100 bottles so I won't miss them.

• Like 9

Ladies, I gave away some nail polish! It seems minor but I tend to hoard everything just in case I might want to use it one day. My mom and sister were over for the holidays and wanted to look at my collection. There were a couple of colors they liked, so I let them keep them. I have well over 100 bottles so I won't miss them.

Nicely done!!! :)

• Like 2

Good job.

• Like 2

I'm actually really excited for this.  I hope I am able to actually make it 100 days.  I really need to go through my closet too.  I fluctuate between a lot of shapes and sizes so it is really hard to find clothes that fit well. 

• Like 3

I fluctuate between a lot of shapes and sizes so it is really hard to find clothes that fit well.

I know that feeling.  I'm on the heavier side (for me) at the moment.  I was doing so well and then my car randomly died (in the middle of an intersection) in early October.  That caused a lot of stress.  I quit exercising and just started eating all kinds of crap.  I have pants in at least 3, maybe 4 sizes in my closet.  I tend to have a pear shape so my shirts all still fit, at least.

On the bright side, I now have a new car (with a warranty) and I was able to squeeze the payments into my budget by cutting my cable service and a few subscriptions.  So no more worries about unreliable transportation.  Plus, I have set an entirely reasonable goal weight for the end of the year (means losing maybe 1/2 pound per week, which is totally doable).

I am identifying with a LOT of the issues people have brought up here and in the other thread.  I'm glad I decided to join.  I don't really know anyone in real life who would be a good accountability partner, or who would understand, so this community is awesome to have found.

• Like 6

Here's what I am doing to get ready these last few days, being extra attentive to my skincare. I will  be using my PC Resist Weekly Resurfacing Treatment today, followed by Dr Jart's Ceramidin Cream so I have a smooth, fresh canvas of skin for Day 1.

Also doing the ELF lip exfoliate treatment for smooth flake-free lips, and using a clarifying shampoo. I love the idea of a fresh, clean start!

I've been teasing myself by wearing no makeup for the past few days, and not allowing myself to wear any until January 1st. In the meantime I've been tempting myself by going through my keep stash and working up excitement to use my pretties!

Singing "Like a Virgin" to my stash, even though I don't care for Madonna, the song is appropriate to the situation.

• Like 4

Hi 100'ers!

Dipping my toes in the water over here.  I've been following the other thread and am trying to wrap my head around my parameters.

I recently found out that my summer part-time job as a bartender is gone.  The venue is going with another vendor and I'm not sure if they'll hire us back.  So for now, I'm just a teacher.   :)

I'm thinking about using NYE as a time to organize my stash to help me mentally prepare for this.  I have a few other options for NYE that involve going out, but I'm just not feeling it.  Added bonus, I'm home when my dogs freak out at midnight due to fireworks. 

Hi! I love the name 100'ers! CUTE!

Good idea to use NYE as a time to organize! Also, glad you'll be home with your poor pooches as they get scared of all the loud fireworks!

I reorganized my cosmetics today and felt overwhelmed, and depressed with how much I have. It made me feel down .... but I guess that is the first step to getting better.

I am so impressed with these threads and the positive energy! When I open my email, there among the sales ads are wonderful posts from these threads! You guys are awesome.

I keep clearing my browsing history so I won't get ads from the beauty sites I visit. I was looking at bronzers on a site, and then I went into my email and got a photo of them and a message saying "You know you want it." LOL

This is the last weekend of my old life! :lol:

I love this post! First of all, you're so right about making a change- I guess we have to see how bad it really is before we can truly change. And I'm also impressed with all the positivity in this group! Also- terrific idea about clearing your browser. Hahah, I hate how it tracks what I've been searching for and then reminds me here in the no buy area through ads!

Yay! Here's to the last week of our old, clutter-filled, make-up acquiring lives!

I'm so enthused over this that I haven't glanced at a single sale! After doing the sort-a-palooza and getting the most incredible Secret Santa gifts I feel glutted and giddy on makeup. For now at least I have zero temptations, which is an odd but exciting feeling of freedom.

That's awesome! Having no temptations must be just wonderful! I have some, but I don't feel like I'm going to act on them, they are more just wants in the back of my mind that I'm keeping track of on a list but will not make any purchases. Oooh, I haven't made a makeup purchase since.... two weeks ago, I think. Maybe more! YAY!!! I am considering returning some things I had purchased though. We'll see!

I've decided I'm going to try to use things I already have.  I have a flat iron and a curling iron that have never been touched.  I'm not good at styling my hair, so I'm going to learn (and I have a ton of styling products from sub boxes so I don't need to buy anything).  I also have non-beauty-related stuff I don't use or haven't used in a long time, like a sewing machine and a pressure cooker.  So I'm going to learn how to use those.  I have an entire closet full of craft supplies so I'm going to try to work my way through that stash, too.

Also I need to work on cleaning my condo.  That takes up time, which is good.  (I have pets so I should clean much more often than I do.)  And I have a massive number of books (both paper and electronic) that I haven't read, so I'm going to work on that.

I think I'm also going to leave my credit cards at home.  I do a lot of my impulse buying at work when I run out of real work to do.  Can't do that if I don't have the cards with me.  Most of the numbers got changed this year (I shopped at Home Depot and Target) so I don't have them memorized any longer.

Those are some seriously good ideas! I'm going to copy off of you!

For at least the first month, I'm going to go sort/clean whenever I feel the need to shop.  I'm doing a year-long closet clean-out where on Jan 1st, you take all the clothes in your closet and hang them backwards.  Everytime you pull something and wear it, hang it back the regular way.  At the end of the year, anything you haven't worn that year (excluding formalwear or not-regular clothing) that is still hanging backwards must be given away/donated/trashed (if it's torn/has holes/etc).

So if I'm wanting to shop, I'll go to my closet and design an outfit based on something I haven't worn in awhile!  It will spark my creativity AND help me not spend money!

YES! Wonderful idea! I'm so going to do this!

I love the idea of combining a clean out project with the no-buy. I have a never-ending list of projects that need to be done around the house sonI think I will start working on those. I gave a terrible all or nothing mentality (if it can't be done in one sitting I tend not to do it) so I need to start tackling things slowly instead of thinking I'll get the entire house perfectly clean and organized in one weekend.

I have the same all-or-nothing mentality. I really need to toss that out the window!!

After two years of unemployment, I start a new job 1/5!

My first impulse is to say I need new clothes. It's a casual office, but my momma uniform of jeans, t shirt and stretched out sports bra won't really cut it. I've ordered new bras because you can't fudge that. But in spirit of the no-buy, I'm going to spend this week going thru my closet and trying things on to see if I can't pull together at least five decent work outfits. That's all I really need, right?

Congratulations, @@acostakk !

I know that feeling.  I'm on the heavier side (for me) at the moment.  I was doing so well and then my car randomly died (in the middle of an intersection) in early October.  That caused a lot of stress.  I quit exercising and just started eating all kinds of crap.  I have pants in at least 3, maybe 4 sizes in my closet.  I tend to have a pear shape so my shirts all still fit, at least.

On the bright side, I now have a new car (with a warranty) and I was able to squeeze the payments into my budget by cutting my cable service and a few subscriptions.  So no more worries about unreliable transportation.  Plus, I have set an entirely reasonable goal weight for the end of the year (means losing maybe 1/2 pound per week, which is totally doable).

I am identifying with a LOT of the issues people have brought up here and in the other thread.  I'm glad I decided to join.  I don't really know anyone in real life who would be a good accountability partner, or who would understand, so this community is awesome to have found.

I'm the heaviest I've ever been and my pants are really uncomfortable right now. I might have to start exercising so I can fit into my clothes, hahahah!

Congrats on the new car and how that all worked out- you did a great job digging in there and getting it to work!

Also, I am so so so having the same identifying feelings to the issues people are mentioning here. I love how this 100-day no-buy challenge turned into so much  more than just that!!!! Thank you so much @@Kristine Walker !!!!

Guys, just 2 days left after tonight!!!!!!!!!! ARE YOU READY? I can't hear you. ARE YOU READY?????????????

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

• Like 6

Oh, another thing that's not related to makeup, but for getting ready for a New Year, is cleaning out the fridge, freezers, and pantry!

Be sure to rotate your food supplies so that you use things up before they expire! Once I rotate by expiration date I group things by type so there's no confusion on quantities before making a grocery list. If I don't keep a close eye I easily end up buying more than I need of one thing, and running slap out of another.

Tomorrow DH and I tackle the chest freezer all the way to the bare bottom, and repack with newest on bottom and oldest on top, he just doesn't know it yet.

• Like 3

We are in the same situation!  I am a pear shape as well and I can fit into shirts from middle school (I'm a sophomore in college).  This last semester was crazy stressful and busy so I was eating tons of unhealthy food and didn't go to the gym.  I haven't actually gained too much weight, I just find my pants and skirts not looking extremely flattering.  So I've been buying clothes like crazy thinking that once I look better I'll feel better, but I've realized it's the other way around.  I'm going to cut back all spending, especially on clothes and makeup and just try to be happier.  I'm hoping this 100 day challenge will help

Oh, another thing that's not related to makeup, but for getting ready for a New Year, is cleaning out the fridge, freezers, and pantry!

Be sure to rotate your food supplies so that you use things up before they expire! Once I rotate by expiration date I group things by type so there's no confusion on quantities before making a grocery list. If I don't keep a close eye I easily end up buying more than I need of one thing, and running slap out of another.

I need to keep up on this. As part of the 33 Days of Decluttering challenge I ended up throwing out some old, un-used and expired food items from my pantry. This should not be happening. I think I'm going to rotate everything and then wait until almost all of the canned and boxed goods are gone before buying anything new. Same goes for our freezer. We have more than enough food to feed us for quite a while.

• Like 1

I am a pear shape as well and I can fit into shirts from middle school (I'm a sophomore in college). This last semester was crazy stressful and busy so I was eating tons of unhealthy food and didn't go to the gym. I haven't actually gained too much weight, I just find my pants and skirts not looking extremely flattering.

Sounds like me when I was in college.  At first clothes just didn't fit well.  Weight gain did eventually come, but probably not until sophomore or junior year.  I've lost it and put it back on a few times since then (grad school was the worst...I gained 40 pounds in about 3 years).  I let stressful things get to me.

If I still had shirts from junior high, though, I think they'd be falling apart from age...

So anyway, one way I deal with stress is eating (eating too much, eating junk, etc.).  Another one is stopping exercising.  The third one is buying stuff.  At different points in my life, it's been different stuff.  For a long while, it was craft supplies -- went through a fabric stage, a bead stage, a yarn stage, etc.  Then it was animals (I had SOOOOO many pets at one point -- like 28 birds and 2 rats and 4 hamsters and a guinea pig and an iguana and a tortoise and a dog and 5 cats and 4 aquariums).  I had a houseplant stage as well (and a lot of orchids and African violets and all of the various meters and types of potting material and fertilizer that went along with them).  I've gone on novel-buying binges before, too, and once I went a little nuts ordering different types of tea and whole grain flour.  Oh, and shoes and handbags.  Lately it's been beauty products, hence my participation in this thread.

• Like 6

Sounds like me when I was in college.  At first clothes just didn't fit well.  Weight gain did eventually come, but probably not until sophomore or junior year.  I've lost it and put it back on a few times since then (grad school was the worst...I gained 40 pounds in about 3 years).  I let stressful things get to me.

If I still had shirts from junior high, though, I think they'd be falling apart from age...

So anyway, one way I deal with stress is eating (eating too much, eating junk, etc.).  Another one is stopping exercising.  The third one is buying stuff.  At different points in my life, it's been different stuff.  For a long while, it was craft supplies -- went through a fabric stage, a bead stage, a yarn stage, etc.  Then it was animals (I had SOOOOO many pets at one point -- like 28 birds and 2 rats and 4 hamsters and a guinea pig and an iguana and a tortoise and a dog and 5 cats and 4 aquariums).  I had a houseplant stage as well (and a lot of orchids and African violets and all of the various meters and types of potting material and fertilizer that went along with them).  I've gone on novel-buying binges before, too, and once I went a little nuts ordering different types of tea and whole grain flour.  Oh, and shoes and handbags.  Lately it's been beauty products, hence my participation in this thread.

I have one shirt from jr high -- remember those (Generra?) color changing shirts?  Yeah, I still have that, tho it no longer changes color. It must have been HUGE on me since I can still wear it.  

Everything highlighted is why I'm here.  I'm a thing-chaser.  They aren't trends, per se, rather ideas that get in my head.  And then I get bored.

I did make a deal with myself today.  Provided all goes well in this 100 days, I know what I'm getting.

The full size Jo Malone candle in Lime, Basil and Mandarin (not the $455). I bought the travel candle today and it is my goal to light it when I'm feeling weak. Remember the goal. Sixty-five dollars is way less than what I would normally spend on 'stuff' in a month, so saving for over 3 months for my WANT item seems reasonable.

I told the girls in Nordstrom's about my challenge and the details for the above purchase.  They thought it was fabulous and told me they'd see me in 100 days.

Ya know, I'm kind of looking forward to using my hair samples.  I'd love to be able to not buy shampoo during those 100 days.  I'm going to see how long I can make it!  (And I should b/c I just remembered I have another set of liters of Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Sham/Cond.  Totally making it.)

OMG -- imagine this.  I could blow through ALL of my mascara samples.  Wouldn't that be awesome???

• Like 1

Okay since I'm feel in all inspired by you guys. I went ahead and cancelled my Wal-Mart box and my FCS box. I was on the fence anyway so it feels good to ahead and cancel both.

• Like 5

Sounds like me when I was in college.  At first clothes just didn't fit well.  Weight gain did eventually come, but probably not until sophomore or junior year.  I've lost it and put it back on a few times since then (grad school was the worst...I gained 40 pounds in about 3 years).  I let stressful things get to me.   If I still had shirts from junior high, though, I think they'd be falling apart from age...   So anyway, one way I deal with stress is eating (eating too much, eating junk, etc.).  Another one is stopping exercising.  The third one is buying stuff.  At different points in my life, it's been different stuff.  For a long while, it was craft supplies -- went through a fabric stage, a bead stage, a yarn stage, etc.  Then it was animals (I had SOOOOO many pets at one point -- like 28 birds and 2 rats and 4 hamsters and a guinea pig and an iguana and a tortoise and a dog and 5 cats and 4 aquariums).  I had a houseplant stage as well (and a lot of orchids and African violets and all of the various meters and types of potting material and fertilizer that went along with them).  I've gone on novel-buying binges before, too, and once I went a little nuts ordering different types of tea and whole grain flour.  Oh, and shoes and handbags.  Lately it's been beauty products, hence my participation in this thread.

I absolutely love your honesty. 

• Like 5

Yesterday I posted in the no-buy forum that I have an unofficial goal to generate  at least 100 empties (deluxe & full-sized items = 1 used product; 2 foils = 1 used product) in 100 days all while not buying any more beauty products.  

Today, I am wondering whether or not I should post pictures of the non-makeup & makeup products I plan to use or at the very least hit pan on during the 100 day challenge?  At the end, to show progress, post a photo of the empties.

Is this a good idea?  What are your thoughts?

• Like 4

Yesterday I posted in the no-buy forum that I have an unofficial goal to generate  at least 100 empties (deluxe & full-sized items = 1 used product; 2 foils = 1 used product) in 100 days all while not buying any more beauty products.  

Today, I am wondering whether or not I should post pictures of the non-makeup & makeup products I plan to use or at the very least hit pan on during the 100 day challenge?  At the end, to show progress, post a photo of the empties.

Is this a good idea?  What are your thoughts?

Yes, definitely! Pan photos are so much better when you have a before to compare them to!

• Like 1

Hi guys,

I am not completely done shopping online yet, though I am tapering off a lot. I spent my Christmas money on food so I could use my pay to get ahead on credit card bills. That was a good idea because yesterday, my boss cancelled most of the work week as he cannot afford payroll due to a Christmas slowdown! I am so burned out on my job, I was actually thrilled and relieved.

This morning as usual I woke up at 3am and got on my computer. And as usual the first thing I did was look for cosmetics. I shopped a little, but then I APPLIED FOR A NEW JOB!!!! Guys, I am getting better!

• Like 5

I am not completely done shopping online yet, though I am tapering off a lot.

I have let myself look at a few sites when I've gotten promo details and I've been surprised, but I haven't hit "buy" on any of them.  I think sorting my stash last week really helped.  At first I was like, "ooh, 30% off on Wantable makeup" and then I'm like, "what could they possibly send me that I don't already have like 10 (or 30) of?"

• Like 7

At first I was like, "ooh, 30% off on Wantable makeup" and then I'm like, "what could they possibly send me that I don't already have like 10 (or 30) of?"

That is SUCH a great attitude!!! :)   

• Like 2

I think I'm ready for this. This past week I took my backups and organized then by type I to separate empty Memeboxes. There should not be anything that needs to be replaced in the next 100 days. I've made a few after Christmas purchases to stock up on a few items that I'll need (it was all very calculated). I also got some storage drawers to pretty up my vanity and make it easier to see what makeup I already have. I also filled up a box with my makeup gifts from Christmas to pull out when I need something new. Finally, I put all of my foils into a Birchbox so that I can easily grab a few each week to try out.

I'm a little nervous but definetely excited!

• Like 4