How often do you clean your make-up brushes?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I try to actually wash, shampoo, and dry them once a week, but it's usually every two weeks or so. In between there, I clean my eyeshadow brushes with a little spritz of alcohol between each color, and I have a Japonesque brush spray that I use to clean the other brushes I use regularly. If I use the same color of blush two or three days in a row, the brush might not get sprayed and cleaned until I change colors, but each brush get's "cleaned" at least once every few days. 

i spray face brushes after each use with a daily spray from sephora. you just spray, wipe it off, and let it air dry. super quick and easy.

they all get an actual shampoo wash on the weekend.

Um, I'm a dirty person, I guess. I dust off powder brushes but don't actually spot clean them unless I've used a dark shadow or blush and I don't want to compromise the next color. I spot clean my liquid and cream product brushes after every use, but I guess I don't give them all a deep clean except maybe once a month or so since I switched to the Parian Spirit. And even then I don't use water and soap - I use the little jar, and the thingy... uh... the thingy that comes with it.

There is a whole thread about it somewhere, but it is soooo easy and I am so happy I switched. It used to take me three hours to clean all my brushes, now it takes 30 minutes.

Um, I'm a dirty person, I guess. I dust off powder brushes but don't actually spot clean them unless I've used a dark shadow or blush and I don't want to compromise the next color. I spot clean my liquid and cream product brushes after every use, but I guess I don't give them all a deep clean except maybe once a month or so since I switched to the Parian Spirit. And even then I don't use water and soap - I use the little jar, and the thingy... uh... the thingy that comes with it.

There is a whole thread about it somewhere, but it is soooo easy and I am so happy I switched. It used to take me three hours to clean all my brushes, now it takes 30 minutes.
Whenever I see this topic I get nervous. I never, ever cleaned my brushes prior to a few months ago.  It took me awhile to realize why.  Because for most of my makeup wearing years I just used the applicators that came with products.  I never worried about mixing colors because each color had its own applicator, or at least 'side' of an applicator.  Same with blush -- they all came with a tiny brush.  (Yes, my old makeup skills were survivalist at best.)

So, now that I have pretty brushes I try to clean them at least once a month.  I have two sets of eye brushes, so I don't have to worry too much about compromising colors.  I'm pretty neutral, so that helps, too.

I use the Japonesque solid cleaner.  I love the scent and there is just something really satisfying about seeing those clean bubbles. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I used to wash mine weekly! That's when I only had like 7 brushes and only used 4 regularly.

Now I have a lot more and use them more often! I need a new brush-cleaning routine. I try to spot clean my brushes between uses with a makeup remover wipe, and deep clean with makeup-remover and facial cleanser (they are all synthetic bristles) once every few weeks. I'd like to give those solid cleansers a whirl.

What irritates me is I don't have a good drying system. My brushes take forever to dry. I have brush guards but I need a cup with holes in it. Plus, some of my brushes just don't work with brush guards (dual-ended brushes, kabukis) so I need a better system. I thought about investing in one of those brush trees, but they look ridiculous and I can't afford them.

I'm going to try to find a better system this year. I'll add it to my 2015 beauty resolutions!

Thanks for the great topic and the reminder! Also, you might find some other topics on this in the 'beauty tools' area of the board as well. ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

For personal use, cleaning them once-a-week is fine.

For people who wear heavier looks or multiple looks in a day, (for example day/night looks), cleaning your brushes once-a-day is recommended. 

For Professionals, cleaning them after every person is highly recommended. 

I used to wash mine weekly! That's when I only had like 7 brushes and only used 4 regularly.

Now I have a lot more and use them more often! I need a new brush-cleaning routine. I try to spot clean my brushes between uses with a makeup remover wipe, and deep clean with makeup-remover and facial cleanser (they are all synthetic bristles) once every few weeks. I'd like to give those solid cleansers a whirl.

What irritates me is I don't have a good drying system. My brushes take forever to dry. I have brush guards but I need a cup with holes in it. Plus, some of my brushes just don't work with brush guards (dual-ended brushes, kabukis) so I need a better system. I thought about investing in one of those brush trees, but they look ridiculous and I can't afford them.

I'm going to try to find a better system this year. I'll add it to my 2015 beauty resolutions!

Thanks for the great topic and the reminder! Also, you might find some other topics on this in the 'beauty tools' area of the board as well. ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
To dry mine, I go low tech....I fold a towel and then roll it up until there's enough left unrolled for the bottoms of the brushes to rest on, and then I prop them up against the roll part.  It works! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

(Let me know if that doesn't make sense and I'll post a picture)

Last edited by a moderator:
To dry mine, I go low tech....I fold a towel and then roll it up until there's enough left unrolled for the bottoms of the brushes to rest on, and then I prop them up against the roll part.  It works! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

(Let me know if that doesn't make sense and I'll post a picture)
I have a little plug in fan near my makeup area.  To dry the brushes I prop them up on the end of my tray (on a washcloth) and let the fan at 'em.  Those blush/powder brushes take awhile to dry!

The best way to dry brushes is to air dry them... I know, I know...  ^_^ /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Forget about the brush guards as they trap moisture. Resting or tilting them on an angle will cause the handle to eventual swell near the ferrule causing cracking.

After you towel squeeze the excess water out...

1) Lay the brushes flat on a towel covered counter with the bristles laying over the edge. 

2) For medium to large bristle brushes like fluff, blending, contour, crease, blush, powder brushes... You need to rub the handle back-and-forth super fast in your hand causing the bristles to spin or splay outwards, then gently reshape them by running them through a hole made by your index finger and thumb. And then do step 1. This will prevent any flat areas and as your brushes start to dry, the bristles will slowly dry themselves to their original shape.

3) For dual ended brushes, lay the brush over a can so that both end bristles hangs over the cans' edge.

Your brushes will be dry in a few hours in a warm room, several hours in a cool room.

You can also hang them upside down as another option to laying them flat. This method is DIY and is a bit time consuming but it does work quite well. You can use the magnet technique or the twisted wire with hooks technique. I've seen both on Pintrest. 

Again for medium to large brushes, never blow dry them! Ever! Fans will blow the bristles out of shape and will blow dust into the bristles. For smaller brushes like liner, angle or shader brushes, it should be ok.

Have any of you tried a natural method for spot cleaning? I saw a YouTube video on it and what was used was just organic Witch Hazel (natural astringent) and organic Tea Tree Oil (natural anti-bacterial) combined in a spray bottle. I haven't tried it yet. But it completely cleaned the brushes in the video! Perhaps you could try it if you'd prefer a more natural way that won't cost much either. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

- Kailey

Soap and water once a month. Have done it for years. Never got any problems.

Once I used the Strictly Professional makeup brush cleaner which I bought from Amazon. It was a disaster!

Ruined all my brushes- about 20 of them - and had to buy a new set. They are not exactly cheap, are they?

I say steer clear of that brand.

My sis use to wash it every week previously. She is still possessive about the brush but has gone lazy, now she wash it with soap and water every month or so. 

I clean my brushes at least once every two or three weeks to help make them last a little longer. If my makeup bag is clean it also helps me keep my brushes cleaner!

It depends on the brushes really:

I try to clean my face-brushes at least once a week. I would prefer twice-3 times a week, but I don't always have time for this. The more I clean my face brushes the less break-outs I have.

For eyeshadow brushes, I clean once every two weeks - I have A LOT of brushes, so it's such a chore to wash them all at the same time :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

:) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

every 2 weeks or so. I have a ton of brushes, so if one is dirty...I just use a different one. I need to better about that though.

This makes me feel awful! I also mainly use the brushes that come with products or my fingers!, though I have a lovely concealer brush and eyeline brushes but I just tend to wipe those on tissue to clean...

I don't seem to have any serious problems from not cleaning them, but I will start to now anyway!

Nat xo

Latest posts

Back