The Beauty Reflection, Best and Worst of 2014

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What were your favorite and least favorite products of 2014? Were there things you completely regret buying? Did you find a new holy grail product?

Best:

Hourglass Eyeliner- my new holy grail eyeliner, the only one I have ever gotten to stay in my waterline all day

BH Cosmetics Sculpt and Blend Brush Set- not so much that the brushes were great, but that I really needed the face brushes. There were some products that I couldn't even find a way to use until I got these, and now they have become part of my everyday makeup look

Real Techniques Silicone Eyeliner Brush- I never understood gel eyeliner until I got this brush. 

Elf Lock and Seal- This product has saved me from glitter fall out on shadows and liners so many times. It's requires some extra work that could really be fixed with better preparation, but when you need it you need it. 

Worst:

Too Faced Milk Chocolate Bronzer- I told myself I wasn't going to buy it because it was 30$, but I did because it smelled delicious and looked like such a lovely shade. However, it made my face orange, and I just ended up back with my perfectly functional 3$ bronzer. I regret buying it.

Elf HD Mattifying Balm- I wish I had thought this through more before I put it in my cart. It felt like sticking vaseline on your face, didn't do a lot of mattifying, and then broke me out. 

It Cosmetics CC Cream- I got sucked into the hype and I bought a travel size, but that was too dark for me because I am a ghost and so I had to return it and purchase a full size of fair. It did have a lot fuller coverage than most CC creams, and it never made my face look oily, but my skin had a lot of oil on it which was gross. Also, snail secretion filtrate is the second ingredient, though I would have been totally okay with that had it worked out. 

Best: Lorac Mega Pro palette, Revlon Colorstay Whipped foundation, Read Techniques beauty sponge, Urban Decay Vice 3 palette, MAC Pro Longwear concealer, Makeup Geek eye shadows and blushes, TheBalm Cindy and Mary Lou-manizers

Worst: Maybelline Fit Me foundation, Urban Decay Vice Limited palette, J Cat beauty Fantabulous lipsticks, Kat Von D Studded Kiss lipstick in "Agatha"

Great idea for a thread! This is fun!!! I don't actually try lots of new releases typically, so this will be a short list for me.

BEST:

Lorac Megapro as well @@KaitlinKolors . Only thing I don't like about it is how it was released.

bareMinerals new foundation, BareSkin. Although it doesn't have great staying power, I really love this for a natural, good-for-your-skin foundation.

Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics' Primary Pack (you can mix any color under the sun, excepting shimmers and glitters- they are all matte).

UD Full Frontal Revolution lipstick set

Hourglass Ambient Blush palette

WORST:

Urban Decay Naked Vault- not a good value, and why not put in the Naked Basics instead of the cheek palettes- some people can't use every bronzer/blush color in it. WHY? And those lip glosses? Nobody gives a crap about those- they should have put in a bunch of mini Revolution lipsticks.

Christian Louboutin's nail polishes in general ($50? HELLO) but especially his $675 release of the Starlight Rouge lacquer for the holiday.

Benefit They're Real Push-Up Liner. Everyone I heard from who used this was so disappointed in it.

WORST:

Urban Decay Naked Vault- not a good value, and why not put in the Naked Basics instead of the cheek palettes- some people can't use every bronzer/blush color in it. WHY? And those lip glosses? Nobody gives a crap about those- they should have put in a bunch of mini Revolution lipsticks.

Christian Louboutin's nail polishes in general ($50? HELLO) but especially his $675 release of the Starlight Rouge lacquer for the holiday.

Benefit They're Real Push-Up Liner. Everyone I heard from who used this was so disappointed in it.
Actually, I kind of like it, but I think Benefit really missed their demographic with this product. As an eyeliner newb it worked rather well for me as a teaching tool because it's angled so that it goes on right despite how I want to put on my eyeliner (if that makes any sense), the angled tip was also good for doing a wing, which is something I've never been able to do before. It gave me the confidence to go back and work with other eyeliners and keep trying. 

I also think it would be good for someone who has a lot of time to learn a new product--but most people don't or won't. I was kind of meh about the formula though, I wish it glooped up less and went on smoother. I wouldn't pay 24$ for it again.

Best:

OCC Lip Tars (thank you @@eastofthesun !). There's a bit of a learning curve to keep this stuff from feathering, but the colours are so true.

Joe Fresh lip liner- an unexpected fave. Usually my impulse purchases end in disaster, but this is better than my MAC liner for only $6.

GOSH ultimate velvet liner- I'm so in love with these. I have four and no longer lust over the UD 24/7 liners (much). Every time I swatch them I gasp and stare. Though, they've seemed to change the formula so I'm very sad about that.

Worst:

NYX butter line: *wet fart noise* No. They taste like plastic :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> And the gloss was so milky, and the lipstick too patchy. Not a fan, and wouldn't recommend.

Wet N Wild Poster Child palette: Haven't touched it except to swatch. Not up to the calibre of their other color icon palettes.

Loreal Gel liner pot: Argh. It looked SO GOOOD when applied but transferred on my deep set eyes. I had, like, rings up by my eyebrows... and I had to go out that night. I had to cover it up with concealer, it looked like crap. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Surprises: Laura Mercier and Flower cosmetics! Was so ready to dislike them but there was no reason to. Looking forward to trying more from those brands.

Latest posts

Back