100 empties in 100 days - Challenge starting January 2015

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Since I like shopping - a bit too much - its evident I like acquiring things.  Since I have a significant stash of makeup and other beauty products its evident that I like having things.  Though in sharp contrast to acquiring things and having things - I'm not using enough of the products I have so the accumulation has gotten a bit out of hand.  Having a low-buy or a no-buy goal is only going to resolve half of my problem.  My personal challenge - as listed below - is going to help me start to reduce my stash and I hope the reduction is significant.  After all what's the point of having something -- unless you're going to use it?!?!

In the first 100 days of 2015 - I want to generate at least 100 empties. My rules are as follows:

• Full-sized products and Deluxe-sized samples count as one item used.  
  • Two foil packets count as one item used (i.e. one shampoo foil + one conditioner foil = one item used).  This is sort of a personal incentive to use the foil packets and just make them go away since I generally dislike foil packets and don't normally use them - hence the accumulation.  That said I definitely don't want the majority of my empties to be from foils.
  • Some products need to be tossed and replaced like eye lash primer, mascara, and liquid eyeliner though they may not be used until the product is gone - I generally toss and replace these products because I see them as expired.
  • I will consider a full-sized pressed blush or a full-sized pressed eye shadow 'used' when I hit pan because I want to put a serious dent in my blush & eye shadow collection in 2015 and this is a good way to get started.
  • The vast majority of products have to to be used until they're gone in order to count.
  • If there is a sample that I don't like and don't use until its gone - I will toss it and it won't count for this challenge.
  • If I accumulate 100 empties before 100 days is over, I will not stop.  Rather, I will see how many additional empties I can generate.
Through out the course of this challenge my empties are going to go in an empty identical bin so I can keep track of my empty container progress one item at a time.  I will provide updates periodically and a final tally at the end.

Sorry for the short notice ladies -- is anyone else up for another challenge?

Love this challenge as well! I won't be doing 100 because I don't subscribe to any boxes and I tend to use or toss any samples that I do get right away anyway. Plus I just finished and repurchased most of my essentials. But I do plan to keep a list of everything I finish this year and I'm hoping to put a dent in more of my makeup.

There is the official used it up thread...you can set different goals for posting.  Most do monthly posts.

I don't use things up very often, and I don't get tons of samples since I have most of my HGs all figured out. However, I'm going to keep on using the monthly 'used it up' thread to track what's what.

I keep a bag on the handle of my closet doorknob that I toss empties into and then at the end of each month I take a pic, post there, and review what I've used.

I love the idea of using up 100 products in 100 days, I also love how you're not 'cheating' by using up lots of foils, since you address that. Awesome! Good luck to you and anyone else who embarks on this challenge. I wish I could do it, but I don't think it will be possible for me. I think I could set a smaller goal of.... 40 items in 100 days!! I'll try that!

I don't use things up very often, and I don't get tons of samples since I have most of my HGs all figured out. However, I'm going to keep on using the monthly 'used it up' thread to track what's what.

I keep a bag on the handle of my closet doorknob that I toss empties into and then at the end of each month I take a pic, post there, and review what I've used.

I love the idea of using up 100 products in 100 days, I also love how you're not 'cheating' by using up lots of foils, since you address that. Awesome! Good luck to you and anyone else who embarks on this challenge. I wish I could do it, but I don't think it will be possible for me. I think I could set a smaller goal of.... 40 items in 100 days!! I'll try that!
Thank you for your words of encouragement.  I am definitely pushing myself outside my normal comfort zone to do this and I think this 'challenge' for self is only going to happen once because I don't want to accumulate a bunch of products like this ever again.  Its not like I am a frequent traveller and its not like I have lots of forgetful house guests.

As I said before, I don't like using foil packets and I have accumulated a bunch of them.  Many of the foils actually contain very nice products and more than one use and/or more than one of the same product.  I guesstimate that no more than 20-25 per cent (or so) of my final tally will be the result of used foils and imho any more than that seem kind of silly.

For some odd reason I like holding onto things and sometimes leave the last bit of product inside a container for a longer period of time than I probably should before I use the last of it or toss it and I don't know why I do this. All I know is that its got to stop.  I think I will be able to rid myself of this strange little habit I have developed by taking on this challenge.  

Thank you for your words of encouragement.  I am definitely pushing myself outside my normal comfort zone to do this and I think this 'challenge' for self is only going to happen once because I don't want to accumulate a bunch of products like this ever again.  Its not like I am a frequent traveller and its not like I have lots of forgetful house guests.

As I said before, I don't like using foil packets and I have accumulated a bunch of them.  Many of the foils actually contain very nice products and more than one use and/or more than one of the same product.  I guesstimate that no more than 20-25 per cent (or so) of my final tally will be the result of used foils and imho any more than that seem kind of silly.

For some odd reason I like holding onto things and sometimes leave the last bit of product inside a container for a longer period of time than I probably should before I use the last of it or toss it and I don't know why I do this. All I know is that its got to stop.  I think I will be able to rid myself of this strange little habit I have developed by taking on this challenge.  
I do this too- I just keep it because.... why? I really don't know. I guess I don't want to 'run out' of some things, even though if I'm not using the last bit, obviously I don't need it. My logic defies me!

Anyway, so I actually thought more about this, and I decided to jump in the challenge for the full 100 products! I made a list of all the products I want to finish up and I think I can do this!!!!

If anyone wants to see my list, I'll put it in spoilers below:

1. Tarte Be Mattenificent Elevated blush
  2. Tarte Be Mattenificent 'Sand out from the crowd'
  3. Tarte Be Mattenificent 'Rose to the occassion'
  4. Tarte Be Mattenificent 'Peach for the stars'
  5. Tarte Be Mattenificent 'Pink outside the box'
  6. Tarte Be Mattenificent 'View from the Taupe'
  7. Tarte Be Mattenificent 'Two plums up'
  8. Tarte Be Mattenificent 'Dream in chocolate'
  9. Tarte Be Mattenificent 'Don't stand black'
  10. Fresh sugar deluxe-sized balm
  11. Fresh sugar advanced repair deluxe balm
  12. BareMinerals BareSkin in-store samples: Bare Shell
  13. BareMinerals Bareskin in-store sample Bare Ivory
  14. BareMinerals Bareskin deluxe sample without ball
  15. BareMinerals Bareskin deluxe sample #2
  16. Ren bioretinoid deluxe sample
  17. Hourglass veil primer in-store sample
  18. Ren lactic acid mask deluxe sample
  19. Supergoop eye cream deluxe sample
  20. Origins Ginzing eye cream deluxe sample
  21. Juice Beauty concealer
  22. Hydraluron
  23. Lioele water drop sleeping mask
  24. Lush sexy peel soap
  25. Lush mask of magnaminty
  26. Shea Moisture conditioner bottle #1
  27. Shea Moisture conditioner bottle #2
  28. Shea Moisture body wash
  29. Ole Henriksen body wash
  30. Suave mint and rosemary shampoo
  31. Ren cleansing balm opened samples
  32. Ren cleansing balm full size
  33. PC Resist C15 serum
  34. Josie Maran light
  35. Dr. Dennis Gross purifying concentrate
  36. Dr. Dennis Gross hydrating concentrate
  37. Bite lip duo Musk/restina
  38. Bite lip duo Date/Fig
  39. Tarte maracuja lipglosses in star
  40. Tarte maracuja lipgloss in play
  41. B&BW twilight woods lotion
  42. B&BW candle ski lodge
  43. Ulta candle tropical pink
  44. Dermalogica deodorant
  45. Lavanila full size deodorant
  46. Lavanila deluxe size deodorant
  47. Gap grass lotion
  48. Lavanila rollerball perfume pure vanilla
  49. Paula's choice hand cream #1
  50. Paula's choice hand cream #2
  51. Mac fleur d'coral lipstick
  52. Anastasia brow gel
  53. Paula's choice toner
  54. PC exfoliant
  55. PC body lotion
  56. PC cleanser
  57. Acne.org lotion
  58. Acne.org treatment
  59. Acne.org cleanser #1 shower
  60. Acne.org cleanser #2 sink
  61. Physician's Formula mascara
  62. HardCandy brow primer
  63. HardCandy lash primer
  64. Tarte LCL deluxe sample
  65. Physician's Formula liner
  66. Lorac Front of the line liner
  67. NYX brown mascara
  68. Blinc mascara
  69. NYX brow kit
  70. NARS Rikugien lip crayon
  71. Dr. Brandt dual fusion water
  72. Mario Badescu mini facial spray
  73. Maro Badescu full size facial spray
  74. Neutrogena hand cream
  75. Goldbond hand cream
  76. Sally Hansen cuticle oil
  77. Sephora cuticle oil pen
  78. Essence lip liner in nude
  79. Essence lip liner in rose
  80. abreva (bedside table)
  81. abreva (purse)
  82. Burts Bees mango butter balm
  83. Kroger spf lip balm
  84. Lavanila rollerbal perfume in lavendar
  85. up and up version of persagel
  86. Queen Heleine mask
  87. Algenist eye cream deluxe size
  88. FAB ultra repair cream tub
  89. Burts Bees hand cream
  90. Badger lip balm (work)
  91. Burts Bees pumpkin spice lip balm
  92. B&BW Leaves mini candle
  93. B&BW cranberry woods candle
  94. DIY makeup remover
  95. Red Apple Lipstick The Lash Project mascara
  96. MUFE artist lipstick birthday gift
  97. Agave oil mask hair treatment sample (2)
  98. Murad Vitamin C peel sample
  99. Sephora body butter sample
  100. Aloette enzyme peel
  101. Epielle facial cleansing tissues
  102. Hourglass illusion ivory sample
  103. Paula's choice resist triple dark spot eraser foils (2)
  104. B&BW mini hand sanatizers (5)

That's actually 104 products, but I counted foils, and I doubt I'll finish up all the pans in my Tarte Be Mattenificent palette- it's just something I'm working on panning this year a la the Pan that Palette 2015 thread.

I'll still update monthly in the 'used it up' thread, but when I get to each quarter mark (25, 50, 75, 100) I'll post here!!! YEAH!!!

Thanks for inspiring me to take on this challenge! It'll not only help me be more excited about not buying things, and consequently help with my no-buy, but it will also push me to use things before the go bad and are a waste!

Last edited by a moderator:
I do this too- I just keep it because.... why? I really don't know. I guess I don't want to 'run out' of some things, even though if I'm not using the last bit, obviously I don't need it. My logic defies me!

Anyway, so I actually thought more about this, and I decided to jump in the challenge for the full 100 products! I made a list of all the products I want to finish up and I think I can do this!!!!

If anyone wants to see my list, I'll put it in spoilers below:

That's actually 104 products, but I counted foils, and I doubt I'll finish up all the pans in my Tarte Be Mattenificent palette- it's just something I'm working on panning this year a la the Pan that Palette 2015 thread.

I'll still update monthly in the 'used it up' thread, but when I get to each quarter mark (25, 50, 75, 100) I'll post here!!! YEAH!!!

Thanks for inspiring me to take on this challenge! It'll not only help me be more excited about not buying things, and consequently help with my no-buy, but it will also push me to use things before the go bad and are a waste!
You are awesome.  Thanks for doing this along with me.

I hope that after 100 days I have a somewhat smaller stash and a healthier mindset.  Ideally I will be more focused on using the products in my home and far less concerned about buying more product than I realistically need.  Without a doubt it will take a while for me to dwindle my makeup stash down to a reasonable number of items and this seems like a good start!

I agree- I want to whitle down my stash of things so that I don't ever feel the need to create an 'inventory' again and I'll just know in my mind... I don't know, we'll see!

I edited my post with my list of items and added numbers so it's easier to read.

Yesterday I finished my first product of the year!

1. George's Aloe Facial Spray

I also tossed 17 lip products, mostly glosses. I already feel a weight lifted! I used some of my dry clay mask this morning to work on using it up - I prefer my tube of hydrated clay

Here is a list which I'm going to consider a just general guideline for my 100 products in 100 days.  I have listed over 100 products.  There will be impromptu additions, impromptu omissions (if I try and dislike a product), and there's a chance I may fall short of using a few products until they're gone.  

In some cases I have picked products from my stash to target - i.e. eye shadow and blush.  The products I have picked are the ones which excite me so I will want to use them.  I think I'm going to really enjoy this.

1 d/s Estee Lauder - Resilliance Lift, moisturizer
2 d/s Lancome - Genifique, eye cream
3 f/s Lancome - le Lipstique, lip pencil
4 f/s Ellovi - lip butter
5 f/s Lancome - Aquatique, eye shadow base
6 f/s Lancome - Cils Booster XL, eyelash primer
7 f/s Biotherm Biosource - bb cream
8 f/s Biotherm Biosource - face cleanser
9 f/s Lancome Artliner - liquid eyeliner
10 f/s Bare Minerals - Correcting Concealer
11 f/s Bare Minerals - Marvelous Moxie, lip gloss
12 d/s Benefit - Stay Flawless, face primer
13 d/s Bare Minerals BB Advanced Formula Eye Shadow
14 f/s Pacifica Enlightened Gloss
15 f/s Bare Minerals - Well Rested
16 f/s Avalon Organics - Shampoo
17 f/s Avalon Organics - Conditioner
18 f/s Briogeo hair mask
19 f/s Pacifica Tuscan Blood Orange shower gel
20 f/s Pacifica Tuscan Blood Orange lotion wipes
21 f/s Pacifica Tuscan Blood Orange perfume
22 f/s Pacifica Tuscan Blood Orange body butter
23 d/s Lancome Nutrix Royal Body
24 f/s MAC Well Dressed blush
25 f/s theBalm Down Boy blush
26 d/s Lancome Blushing Tresor blush
27 f/s Girlactic Star Blush Milan
28 foil Bare Minerals Luminous Duo (12 foils = 6 items)
29 f/s Pacifica face wipes
30 d/s Lancome Genifique serum - will use approx. 6 of these
31 f/s Lancome Gloss in Love
32 f/s Lancome Color Design eye shadow All That Brigtens
33 f/s Lancome Color Design eye shadow Matte Latte
34 f/s Lancome Color Design eye shadow Successorize
35 d/s Lancome eye shadow quad
36 d/s Bare Minerals Bareskin foundation
37 d/s Bare Minerals Original foundation
38 d/s MUFE Microfinish Powder
39 d/s Bare Minerals touchup veil
40 f/s Bare Minerals Ready bronzer/luminizer
41 d/s Lancome Bi-Facil - will use approx. 4
42 d/s Clairins extra-comfort anti-pollution cleanser
43 f/s Pacifica Sea Foam complete cleanser
44 d/s Cake Beauty velveteen hand cream
45 d/s Amika dry shampoo - will use approx. 4
46 d/s Lancome Renergie moisturizer x2
47 d/s Lancome High Resolution moisturizer
48 d/s Lancome Absolu night x2
49 d/s Nourish Organic face cleanser
50 d/s Nourish Organic body lotion
51 d/s Nourish Organic face cream
52 d/s Ole Henrickson Truth Serum
53 d/s Vasanti Brighten Up x3
54 foil Avalon organic shampoo & conditioner
55 d/s Pantene Smooth & Sleek shampoo x2
56 d/s Pantene Smooth & Sleek conditioner x2
57 f/s Mask Aide sheet masks x3
58 d/s Shu Uemera cleansing oil shampoo
59 f/s Burt's Bees face wipes
60 f/s Olay Fresh face wipes
61 foil - Benefit foundation x1
62 foil - Nano Blur x7
63 d/s Nano Blur
64 d/s Bioderma shower gel x2
65 foil - John Frieda shampoo & conditioner x2
66 foil - Boo Bamboo shampoo & conditioner x2
67 foil - Tresemme shampoo, conditioner & style x4
68 foil - Jergens natural glow x3
69 d/s Clear Scalp & Hair Therapy conditioner x5
70 d/s Clear Scalp & Hair Therapy conditioner x5
71 d/s Benefit total moisture moisturizer
72 d/s Benefit total moisture eye cream
73 d/s Yves Rocher skin scrub
74 d/s Barefoot Venus dry body oil
75 d/s Lancome La Base x4
76 foils - Roger & Gallet x4 (2 items)
77 d/s - Belvada Nail Polish Remover
78 d/s Uniq One hair mask
79 d/s Fekaki Shampoo
80 d/s Fekaki Conditioner
81 d/s Ayres Body butter
82 d/s Evolvh shampoo
83 d/s Evolvh conditioner
84 d/s Indigena sugar scrub
85 d/s Vitabath shower gel
86 foils - Lise Watier foundation x2
87 d/s Marc Anthony Beach Waves spray
88 d/s OSIS dry shampoo
89 d/s Dr. Brandt Microdermabrasion
90 foil - origins moisturizer
91 foil - philosophy cleanser
92 d/s - philosophy cleanser
93 foil - FAB moisturizer
94 d/s FAB cleanser
95 d/s Oneka shampoo
96 d/s Smashbox 24h photo finish primer
97 foil - Sri vectin scrub
98 f/s Weleda millet shampoo
99 d/s Sri vectin - neck cream
100 d/s Benefit benetint
101 d/s Benefit posietint
102 assorted perfume vials

Just a quick update:  While I realize it is still early on something kind of exciting and unforeseen is starting to happen.  I am trying different things and so far a have fallen absolutely in love with a couple of them.  While I don't think I will go out on a shopping spree after this is over and buy all of them I think I am going to have to treat myself to a few new things before the end of the year and after I have made a solid reduction in my beauty stash.  Since I am feeling kind of inspired though its too soon to share at the end of 100 days I plan to make a list of the 10 best and probably 10 worst items.  

I would love to join in and use up all my samples, and a few full size if I can. I will use this thread and post as I go along, rather than list right now what I want to use up ... I'm very close in finishing a few full-size items this next week. I had joined Birchbox in June as a way to get nicer samples for things I might want to try in the future, because I was feeling stalled with my limited makeup/bath/body collection. I "only" own 150 products (not including samples), and now my samples total close to 50 so I just need to start using them in conjunction with my full-size items as well.

Just a quick update:  While I realize it is still early on something kind of exciting and unforeseen is starting to happen.  I am trying different things and so far a have fallen absolutely in love with a couple of them.  While I don't think I will go out on a shopping spree after this is over and buy all of them I think I am going to have to treat myself to a few new things before the end of the year and after I have made a solid reduction in my beauty stash.  Since I am feeling kind of inspired though its too soon to share at the end of 100 days I plan to make a list of the 10 best and probably 10 worst items.  
That is such a awesome idea to make a list of the 10 best and 10 worst products that you used up in this challenge! I'll do the same.

Actually, I kind of love this one deluxe size product I'm almost finished with. I don't think I'll repurchase it though, but I'm really enjoying it and I'll have to remember to add it to my list!!!

I have a quick question... if you use 100 items and there are still days left in the challenge are you going to continue with the challenge beyond 100 items?
yes, I think I will continue on. I like the idea of using up items that I either have too many of, or using them up before they expire. What about you?

I would love to join in and use up all my samples, and a few full size if I can. I will use this thread and post as I go along, rather than list right now what I want to use up ... I'm very close in finishing a few full-size items this next week. I had joined Birchbox in June as a way to get nicer samples for things I might want to try in the future, because I was feeling stalled with my limited makeup/bath/body collection. I "only" own 150 products (not including samples), and now my samples total close to 50 so I just need to start using them in conjunction with my full-size items as well.
Glad you're joining us!!!!

I'm excited as I already have 11 empties and it keeps growing more every day!

I plan on posting my monthly used it up in the Offical used it up thread but I plan on saving all my empties and at the end of 100 days taking a picture and posting it.  I am curious what 100 empties will look like!  Or the potential for more than 100.  I need to find a bag big enough to hold them.

I'm going to treat this as a 100 day challenge.  Inside 100 days I'm going to see how many empties I can generate - the more the better.
Good idea! Me too! If I get past 100, keep going!!!! Now that I'm discovering my holy grail beauty items plus colors that work on my skintone, I won't need countless samples of stuff lying around anayway!

I'm excited as I already have 11 empties and it keeps growing more every day!

I plan on posting my monthly used it up in the Offical used it up thread but I plan on saving all my empties and at the end of 100 days taking a picture and posting it.  I am curious what 100 empties will look like!  Or the potential for more than 100.  I need to find a bag big enough to hold them.
Go you!!!! That's awesome!

I also want to save all mine and take a huge picture at the end. Hahaha, I'll keep it in my closet I guess. Right now they are in a paper gift bag on the handle of my closet door, but that'll fill up fast. I might go with a box instead of a bag... but we'll see!

ETA: I discovered another lovely product that I tested from a foil packet last night. It was a hair oil, and I just couldn't believe what it did to my hair today! Damn, may seriously consider purchasing this when my no-buy is up!

Latest posts

Back