annatomical

100 empties in 100 days - Challenge starting January 2015

Its time for take a break from using so many random samples and I need to start using the same products consistently for at least a couple weeks. The skin on my face is looking like its getting ready for a nasty breakout.  Now may be a good time to try out the acne product samples in my stash?  Part of me was afraid something like this was going to happen.  Though, I will continue to use samples of haircare and bath/body items.  There is still sooo much makeup...

This is one of the reasons I have been so hesitant to use up a lot of my samples. My skin breaks out so easily, it likes consistency. Also I've been having some issues with it, and I'll be going on vacation in mid-March. Every time I go to grab a sample I just freeze and think "I don't want my skin all screwy when I go away. I should wait."  Like you said though, there's plenty of haircare and makeup to be used up.

• Like 2

This is one of the reasons I have been so hesitant to use up a lot of my samples. My skin breaks out so easily, it likes consistency. Also I've been having some issues with it, and I'll be going on vacation in mid-March. Every time I go to grab a sample I just freeze and think "I don't want my skin all screwy when I go away. I should wait."  Like you said though, there's plenty of haircare and makeup to be used up.

I'm having this same problem. For a while I was on a mission to use up my samples but ended up messing up my skin. I stay away from samples now for the most part but if I do want to try something, I make sure I only try one at a time. This way if my skin gets all weird, I know it was that particular sample that caused it and by getting back to my usual skin care routine usually fixes the problem. I love samples and have tons of them and wish my skin didn't react so much so quickly like it does when trying something new.

• Like 1

21. Dove Deep Moisture Nourishing Body Wash - I had impulsively signed up for Beauty Box 5 at the end of 2014, but cancelled because they sent me unexciting samples like this one. However, they sent me one thing I was thrilled with, because I knew I was going to be starting this no buy:

Extend Your Beauty Cosmetic Tool. It is a special wand that helps you extract that last bit of product from your bottles. Thanks Beauty Box 5! 

22. Deborah Lippmann The Stripper to Go - single use foil. I did not like it. I always have trouble getting the polish off near the nail edges, and I had even less control to do so with the little mitt. Plus it has acetone and you have to use it with ventilation - although the lavender essential oil makes it nicer to use. 

23. Caudalie Vinosource Serum foil. Such a cute foil-pink, and shaped like a tiny sour cream packet. But it was hard to get the product out of it. 

24. Caudalie Vinsource Moisturizing Sorbet - Vinosource is Caudalie's hydrating line. This cream feels wonderful on the skin. Though Caudalie products are strongly scented, the scent dissapates upon application. 

Edited by EdithS2
  • Like 3

I have been keeping track to  get  to  the 100 to coincide with my 100 day no buy.    so far so good  1 small purchase ( it was a face sponge).   I have used up about 15 products  mix of fs/ds/foils  but will post my list once I hit 25.  I cant  really see a difference in my stash yet  but am feeling  positive that I am on on way..

• Like 3

My empties for the 3rd 10 day set.

Empties week 3

36. Travel toothbrush - not sure how old
37. See by Chloe sample
38. MAC Zoom Lash Mascara- deluxe sample
39. Clear Conditioner - full size
40. Lancome concealer - sample pod
41. Priori moisturizer -foil
42. Olay Regenerist Mositurizer - full size
Not pictured
43. Sephora Moisturizer - foil
44. Sephora Moisturizer - foil
45.Sampoo Sample - travel size
46. Conditioner sample - travel size
47. Body Wash - Travel size
  • Like 2

I haven't posted any empties yet, so these are mine starting from day 1.. there may have been more, but since I hadn't emptied the bag and accounted for Dec, these are the ones I definitely remember finishing in Jan.

1. Beauty Protector Protect & Detangle (full size)
  2. Beauty Protector Protect & Shampoo (deluxe sample)
  3. Beauty Protector Protect & Condition (deluxe sample)
  4. Beauty Protector Protect & Oil (deluxe sample)
  5. C.O. Bigelow No 4103 Shampoo (deluxe sample)
  6. C.O. Bigelow No 4103 Shampoo (deluxe sample)
  7. C.O. Bigelow No 4104 Conditioner (deluxe sample)
  8. C.O. Bigelow No 4104 Conditioner (deluxe sample)
  9. Eucerin Daily Protection Face Lotion SPF 30 (deluxe sample)
  10. EVA NYC Therapy Session Hair Mask (deluxe sample)
  11. L’Oreal Advanced Haircare Volume Filler Shampoo and Conditioner (foil)
  12. L’Oreal Advanced Haircare Total Repair 5 Damage Erasing Balm (foil)
  13. Lumene Vitamin C+ Pure Radiance Night Cream (deluxe sample)
  14. MD Solar Sciences Mineral Tinted Creme SPF 30 (deluxe sample)
  15. Michael Todd Jojoba Charcoal Facial Scrub (travel size)
  16. Nutra Nail Bullet-Proof Strength (full size)
  17. Number 4 Lumiere d’hiver Reconstructing Masque (foil)
  18. Origins Checks and Balances foaming face wash (travel size)
  19. Paula’s Choice Clear Anti-Redness Exfoliating Solution (travel size)
  20. Pixi Tinted Brilliance Balm in Unique Pink (deluxe sample)
  21. Sephora Express Nail Polish Remover (travel size)
  22. Tarina Tarantino Magic Hour Cream Shadow in Golden Shadow (full size) TRASH
  23. The Body Shop Seaweed Clarifying Toner (full size)
Edited by kira685
  • Like 2

Just started this on Jan 25th...!

1) Clinique almost lipstick in black honey FS - A staple for me, already cracked open my backup.

2) 1 minute hand scrub true blue spa FS - Lasted forever, will rebuy if they still sell it.

3) Lush vanishing cream moisturizer DS - Prefer gorgeous by far.

4) Bite Lush Fruit Lip Gloss in Currant DS - Loved, will buy again!

5) DR. JART+ Water Fuse Water-Full Hydrogel Mask 1 MASK - two piece mask that made it be a universal fit for my tiny face. Overlapped on cheek but it was awesome- most masks are very badly aligned on me.

6) Boscia black mask DS - I am an exfoliate-a-holic. A mask that I see hair and gunk on when I peel it off is strangely exciting.

7) Philosophy pure grace 3 in 1 LITER - One of my all time favorite scents but it's time to use up my Lush body washes.

8) Yes to Carrots cleansing wipes FS - My second round of these. Decent quality for the price.

9) Sephora Rose Sheet Mask 1 MASK - Meh. Doubt I'll re-buy.

10) Boscia Purifying Cleansing Gel FOIL - Nothing special.

12) Clinique Acne Solutions Clinical Clearing Gel FOIL - didn't like on whole face but a good spot treatment (directions said either, so I tried both).

13) Origins Clear Improvement DS - Love these and tend to hoard the samples!

14) Almay oil free gentle eye makeup remover pads FS - Great for travel when I try to slim down my routine.

I'll check in again @ the end of Feb / beginning of Mar with an updated list and pic! Keep up the good work everyone!

• Like 2

Major cleanup today in our house... It feels amazing to throw away/recycle/give away so much stuff! I threw away LOTS of beauty items I've had for YEARS. I feel amazing (but exhausted, it's been a long day).

1. Yves Rocher Green Tea shower gel (FS, I buy these when I don’t want to spend a lot on SG, but didn’t love the smell)
  2. Yves Rocher Youth Elixir (foil)
  3. Escada Sunset Heat perfume (threw away, I don’t wear perfume anymore and it’s soooo old!)
  4. Another Escada Perfume I’ve had for years (threw away)
  5. Nivea Lip Smoothie (major cleanup, threw away, I don’t like it)
  6. La Senza gloss (old and expired… threw away)
  7. Baby Lips gloss/lipstick (threw away didn't like color)
  8. Live Clean Argan Oil (threw away)
  9. Lush massage bar (threw away)
  10. Lush massage bar (threw away)
  11. Fruits & Passion Frosted Birch Hand Soap (FS)
  12. Fruits & Passion Frosted Birch Hand Cream (FS)
Edited by avaisdancing

Still doing this, though my no buy is messed up:

25. Travel size Eucalyptus Body Wash. It is nice when you have a bit of a sinus headache.

26. A second Caudalie Vinosource Moisturizing Sorbet foil

27. Pack of Swisspers cotton rounds. I love these, but when they were used up I thought I should use up my cotton balls rather than repurchasing special cotton rounds. But I was happy to find another pack of cotton rounds in my drawer - a no name brand, but soft. 

Edited by EdithS2
  • Like 1

Still doing this, though my no buy is messed up:

25. Travel size Eucalyptus Body Wash. It is nice when you have a bit of a sinus headache.

26. A second Caudalie Vinosource Moisturizing Sorbet foil

27. Pack of Swisspers cotton rounds. I love these, but when they were used up I thought I should use up my cotton balls rather than repurchasing special cotton rounds. But I was happy to find another pack of cotton rounds in my drawer - a no name brand, but soft. 

How do you like Caudalie Vinosource Moisturizing Sorbet ? Do you think it's worth the price for a moisturizer? =) 

How do you like Caudalie Vinosource Moisturizing Sorbet ? Do you think it's worth the price for a moisturizer? =) 

To tell the truth, I found the Vinosource Sorbet a bit overperfumed, heavy, and just a bit irritating. Tonight I am going to try a sample from the Vinoperfect series, their brightening line, and I'll see how that compares.  

28. Travel size Caudalie (1 ounce) Cleansing Water. I enjoyed using up the pretty little bottle. To tell the truth, I have not been wearing face makeup, just face cream. But even with a bare face, every morning and night when I used the cleansing water, I could see grime come off on my cotton round. On the other hand, even though the product says "face and eyes" it does not remove mascara very well. (The best all in one face and eyes product I have found through my foil trials is the Fresh Soy Cleanser. The mascara just slid right off with that one.) 

29. Caudalie Vinoperfect Serum foil - their brightening line. I loved the story on the brand's site, stating that this product was inspired by a traditional natural remedy of girls using grapevine sap on their face and hands to lighten brown spots. So I put the serum all over my face and hands, but it made the skin feel sticky, irritated, uncomfortable, red. It could be that I have sensitive skin, and did not realize it.

30. L'Oreal EverSleek Intense Smoothing Shampoo foil - I loved the scent (sunflower), and the texture. The first time I used it, my hair looked marvelous, but it was oily the next day. The second time I used it, my hair was even oilier. A beautiful product, but not made for my hair type.

31. Juara Rice Facial Cleanser foil - Another product inspired by a traditional natural remedy - an Indonesian ritual of a rice water rinse - rice starch being rich in amino acids. I loved this! The foil gave me three uses. The cleanser smelled wonderful and was rich and creamy! 

Takeaways:

I would be better off going to the drugstore and buying shampoo and face cream for my type (fine, oily hair, possibly sensitive skin) than hoarding samples like they are gold; even though the samples are excellent and costly products, if they are not for my type, they are just hurting, not helping. 

I am drawn to products inspired by natural remedies - maybe I should go to the library and check out some natural beauty books. 

I am enjoying my project of using up all my foils. When the products don't work or bother my skin, it helps me see what not to buy. 

• Like 1

More!! I think I'll reach 100 if I keep at it.

49. Natural Style Deep Conditioner (foil)

50. Philosophy Miracle Worker Overnight (foil)

51. Embryolisse creme (tiny BB sample)

52. Tony Moly Avocado Sheet Mask 

53. Philosphy Back to Nurture (sample, liked it but I have FS of Clinique moisturizer to go through before I'd purchase it)

32., 33. Two foil packs of DHC Cleansing Oil. This is an olive oil cleanser. Very soothing. 

34. Foil pack of Jurlique Purely Bright Radiance Serum. Has a lovely floral scent that I found relaxing at bedtime.

35. Foil pack of Lancome Advanced Genifique. It has no scent and sinks right into the skin without a trace. Very pleasant to use. 

36. The Face Shop Blackhead Out Aloe Nose Strip. I never get any results with nose strips, and this one also came off white, with nothing showing on it. I was disappointed. But I have four more of these, so I will keep trying. 

• Like 1

Used up my first two items today:

1. 625 ct Q-Tips (the box from Costco) ... don't worry, we have more ;) And this empty was probably a combined effort of at least 2 or 3 years, just me. Hubby has his own box. That being said, don't need to repurchase, already own another box or two.

2. Crest Pro-Health mouthwash, the travel size. Cool, refreshing mint flavor, was nice, but I'm looking forward to using my Listerine whitening mouthwash instead. Would repurchase if I don't like the Listerine.

3. it Cosmetics CC+ 50+ SPF, full size. Okay for me, not excellent. Not worth the price. WNR

4. Crest Whitening toothpaste, full size. Did the job, but due to new/necessary homemade toothpaste needs as recommended by dentist, WNR. Turns out I'm allergic to flouride & other ingredients, so now have to use baking soda/coconut oil/peppermint oil/hydrogen peroxide only to clean my teeth & whiten.

5. Bareminerals original foundation, fairly light N10, sample size. Excellent mineral powder, matched my skin tone perfectly. Will purchase full size when I run out of powder next year.

6. Amika nourishing mask, sea buckthorn berry, sample size. Didn't notice a difference, WNR

Full Size: 3

Deluxe Size: 3

Edited by AliciaKnits
  • Like 2

37. L'Occitane Ultra Rich Comforting Cream foil pack - 25 percent Shea Butter. I love the rich texture. 

38. Shu Uemura Cleansing Beauty Oil Premium A/O Advanced Formula foil - a beautiful green oil that smells lovely. It helps clear the skin of pollution. Drawback: it's mineral oil based. 

39. Sunday Riley Ceramic Slip Cleanser foil - I so enjoyed using this! It has French Green Clay and essential oils of jasmine, sandalwood, and frankincense, yet has no scent. It promises not just small pores, but miniscule pores. You can leave the cleanser on for one minute, as a mask. The cleanser left my face so clean, but not irritated. 

I'm finished with all of my face cleanser foil packs, so now I can begin using up my travel size cleansers! I still have a large pile of foils to use in other product categories. 

• Like 1

The L'Occitane cream sounds nice. I have a sample jar of their Divine cream and I really like it. Thanks for the info on the Shu Uemura Cleansing oil having mineral oil. I had been wondering about trying some Shu uemura products again. I used to use some of their products years ago although mostly cosmetics. Since it's mineral oil, it won't work for my breakout prone skin.

• Like 1

Hi,

I've been really busy with work but here is my latest post on empties for the 4th set of 10 days

48 - 7 perfume sample cards

49. Maybeline Powder sample card

50. Neutrogena foundation sample card

51. Benefit BB Cream Sample Card

52 Estee Lauder Foundation sample

53. Kiehls eye cream foil

54. Dragonfruit Mask

55.  Passion peel off mask

56. Eyeko Mini Liquid Eyeliner

57. Orange Ginger Travel Handwash

58. Cotz Mineral Suncreen deluxe sample

59. h20 Moisturizer deluxe sample

60. Glam Glow Mask deluxe Sample

• Like 2

40. Freeman Barefoot Lemon and Sage Foot Balm - foot shaped foil pack. Very nice! Fresh smelling, cooling, fun to use. 

41. L'Occitane Light Comforting Cream foil - This cream is just lovely. It's a Shea Butter face cream for combination skin. The texture is so rich, but it dries to a powdery finish, and has a lovely soft powdery scent too.

• Like 1

42. Travel size Hair & Body Therapeutics Energize Shampoo. Every year for Christmas I get a gift bag of old leftover hotel toiletries. Some are really nice, some blah. I did not like this one at all but pushed myself to use it up. Luckily it was gone after two shampoos! 

43. Yves Rocher Serum Vegetal Wrinkles and Radiance Day Cream foil. A nice cream with a floral fruity scent. 

44. Bliss Body Butter Lemon and Sage foil. Amazing scent. Smells like real fresh lemon, real fresh green leaves.

I must use up six more items by day 50 of the 100 day no buy! 

• Like 1

Finished 50 items in 50 days!

45. Another Face Shop Blackhead Out Aloe Nose Strip. I think it worked pretty well. But no dramatic result. 

46., 47. Two foil samples of Boscia Revitalizing Black Hydration Gel. This has charcoal to detoxify. I found it fun to use a black colored face cream. It has a nice scent, like a Fango product. 

48., 49. Two foil samples of Yu-Be Moisturizing Body Lotion. At first I thought this was blah - an all purpose, family moisturizer with a camphor scent. But I came to love it after a day or two - it made me so soft! It is a glycerin formula. 

50. Dr. Hauschka Cleansing Cream - little deluxe sample metal tube. A very fine almond meal paste. I love this brand. I got this when I bought a ton of boxes when Sample Society had their big sale on past samples. Of course I still have to use them all up! 

I can see I use up product slowly - so maybe I will not feel the need to hoard so much. Plus, I think that by working so hard to use up my foils, I may get a little tired of them - they only give enough to experience the scent and consistency of a product, not to see the results. When you really like a foil, it is a let down as it will be gone in two days. Maybe this will make me less likely to go for GWP of a cute bag of foils with $100 purchase - yes, I have bought things I don't need just to get a pretty bag of cute samples! 

• Like 1

Great job! The Bocsia and Dr. Hauschka sound interesting. I used to use Bocsia years ago and like it. Dr. Hauscka too. It's a great brand. All those samples sound great.

• Like 1