What Am I Doing Wrong?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey y'all, I hope I'm posting this in the right category, if not, my apologies.

I am not a makeup pro by any means. I know enough to get by and not look like an idiot but that's about it. I used to have perfect skin when I was a teenager so I really didn't have to wear makeup to cover things, just to even out skin tone, but now at 22 my skin is a disaster. I don't know if it's because of hormons, enviroment, my love of fried food (yumm ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> ) or stress but my skin looks terrible.

I've been wearing Bare Minerals for about 5 years now, and I'm pretty happy with it, but it just doesn't have that full coverage that I need. I try layering it like they tell you to but it's still not full coverage and you can still see acne marks and scars through it, which is okay for everyday makeup, I really don't care if you can see marks when I'm just running around town but when I go out for the night I would like a more full coverage look.

I use the Bare Minerals moisturizer, and then Smashbox pore minimizing primer, some BM concealer, and then about 3-4 layers of the original powder BM foundation. (in that order)

Is there something else I could be using to cover up acne/scars? I've looked at BB creams, and I saw a lot of good reviews on the Urban Decay Naked BB cream, does that stuff work? I haven't used liquid foundation since high school because I never could get the color match right and always ended up with that dreaded orange mark on my jawline, but I think I'm old enough now to apply it better if that would give me more coverage.

Any advice you have I would LOVE to hear, I'm planning a trip to Ulta within the next few days so I would like to get some reccomendations from you guys.

Thank you! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Since you seem kind of shy about liquid foundation, I would go for It Cosmetics CC cream. I didn't like it, but a lot of people do and it really does give good coverage. 

I am 30 and I still get breakouts - sometimes cystic ones, worse than I did as a teenager, too! Before you stress about new foundation, make sure you're lessening the problem as best as you can :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I know part of it is definitely hormonal, and some is definitely stress, but some is preventable!

I cut my hair a couple of years ago, into a kind of bob, and now mostly wear it down...I've noticed that I break out more along my cheeks and jawline, from my hair products! So I'm more careful about my products and try to keep my hair off of my face a bit more.

Make sure you're washing your pillowcase often...I try to change mine twice a week (but often fail).

EXFOLIATE. If you don't get the dead skin off of there, it clogs your pores and causes more breakouts. Everyone's different with this, but I have to exfoliate every other day (I alternate physical scrubs and the enzyme ones). 

Masks! I use a mask once a week (sometimes twice if it's a bad skin week) and I alternate between brands and types. Clay and charcoal are both good with breakouts. 

Try a toner with witch hazel or tea tree oil. Lush makes a good tea tree one but there are several etsy shops that sell them, too, and I intend to try more of them this year. 

Make sure you're moisturizing enough! I have to twice a day.

Even with all of this, my skin isn't perfect, but it looks pretty good most of the time, if I keep on it.

Now, foundations...I prefer to not wear too much of it, but when I do, I actually have had the best luck with Revlon Colorstay, when it comes to coverage. They have a formula for oily/combo skin that doesn't make my breakouts worse.

A note on the UD BB cream - it does not have coverage. I mean, none, it isn't intended to, it just kind of "blurs" lines/marks...probably not what you're looking for. BB creams generally have very little coverage and a very small range of shades.  I would try to find a foundation shade that suits you, first. Luckily, a lot of brands have much wider shade ranges than they used to :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Thanks for the replies!

Greendaisy, I will definitley look into the CC cream, I've never really paid much attention to It Cosmetics but they seem to have really good reviews, I will have to try them!

Michaela, thanks for the helpful post, I had developed a routine for about 3 or 4 weeks using coconut oil with sugar as an expholiator a few days a week, Bare Minerals purifying face wash and Bare Minerals moisterizer. My face seemed to be clearing up pretty well, but I ran out of the coconut oil and the face wash and then we went out of town so for about two weeks I didn't keep up that routine and my face is breaking out worse than before it seems. I'm trying to get back on track and I hope that helps.

You mentioned washing pillow cases, I don't remember the last time I washed my pillow case (gross, I know) and that makes a lot of sense because I usually sleep on my right side and that's where my breakouts are the worst.

I used to use witch hazel (on and off, never for long periods of time) but I couldn't stand the smell, I guess I will have to try it again and just plug my nose :unsure:   lol.

On another note, if y'all don't mind answering another question, what stores do you prefer? Ulta or Sephora? About 4 or 5 years ago we didn't have either one where I lived, but now we have two Ultas with a third on the way and a Sephora in the JC Penney at the mall. I've never even been in the Sephora because of the points system Ulta has, I usually try to rack up points there so I can get money off at Christmas, but I've heard the employees at Sephora are better/more knowledgeable. Where do you prefer?

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello there,

To my best of knowledge, RCMA foundations have 50% pigment (colour) as compared to regular foundations that are mostly 15-30 with the highest being 40. Also the quantity you get is pretty good so it will last a while, so its a good deal.

It's a cream formula, so if you feel like it's too thick for you, you can always add a little bit of your favourite moisturiser to it to make it lighter or you can buy their (RCMA) foundation thinner which does that for you.

Also, you're using concealer 'before' your foundation instead of 'after'. What I have noticed is that, when you do this, the concealer wipes off when you're applying foundation on top of it which spoils the whole point of using it in the first place, don't you agree? :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

You can also try correctors as well, as these tend to cancel out darkness and redness or any kind of blemish before applying concealer which seals the deal ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />.

Also, remember to set your under eye concealer with powder to avoid creasing (this is when make-up sets into fine lines in skin)

And THEN(the final stage), you can now add powder( finishing powder) not powder foundation. So translucent powder, or any setting powder that doesn't deposit TOO much colour like a powder foundation would. By the way, powder foundations don't give full coverage especially if you have acne or some sort of blemish or pigmentation as compared to cream or even sometimes liquid.

So to recap: It's moisturiser->primer->corrector->foundation->concealer->finishing powder .

With these tips, you definitely will be able to get that flawless look you're going for ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I hope this helps, and if it doesn't, please let me know how else I can be of help.

All the Best,

Stacey :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Hi Stacey, thanks for the advice!

When you say "corrector" do you mean something like CC cream? I went to Ulta today and purchased the IT Cosmetics CC cream that Greendaisy reccomended and I haven't tried it yet but I will tomorrow.

I've tried putting concealer on both ways, before and after foundation but I've found that either way I apply it, it just doesn't give me the coverage I need. It does seem to cover less when I put it on before foundation though, so I do see your point.

I was doing a little research last night after I saw a post on the mineral foundation forum about Bare Minerals giving people cystic acne, and it all started to make sense. I had almost flawless skin as a teen (when I wasn't using BM), I started using BM about 5 years ago, about 2-3 years ago my face started to break out pretty regularly, and now it's just full on cystic acne on my cheeks, jawline and chin. Apparently a lot of people have had that happen while using Bare Minerals. So I'm going to go to Sephora in the next week or so and ask them if they can point me towards the best type of foundation for my skin and the best shade, I've heard most of the people that work there are actually makeup artists, so I'm hoping they can help me.

Hi again,

You're welcome. I'm happy to help.

Good to hear about your new product. I love new stuff :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Colour Correctors cancel out redness, darkness etc on your face and brighten them up. So, after you have used a corrector, and you've applied your foundation, there will be a HUGE difference as all your darkness and blemishes would have cancelled out (basically that odd colour would have been blurred out).

Once you apply your concealer, and you will only need a tiny bit at this point,  I promise perfection!!

CC Creams are basically equal to the result of mixing a moisturiser with your foundation to make it lighter,  Some CC creams have some healing properties too but if you are looking for coverage, a CC cream will do nothing for you I am afraid. It will be useful for those Hot  summer days where you don't want a lot of make up on your face.

Make up Forever have good colour corrector palettes. Buy the one with colours like green, purple, salmon, peach, yellow, etc. that sort of thing. I will add  a link that explains how colour correcting works and a video that shows you how to use them the right way.

About Bare Minerals, I have never used any of their Foundations on any of my clients, so I can't really give my opinion on that, but I will tell you one thing; don't use anything on your face you're not comfortable with. 

http://www.teenvogue.com/beauty/makeup/2013-08/color-correcting-concealer (An Article on Colour Correcting)

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any more questions.

All the Best,

Stacey:)

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back