Help needed with my skin care

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all,

Before I go to a dermatologist I want to ask some advice.

I'm 27, I have a fair skin with freckles, copperish hair,...

Now what's my problem:

I have breakout on my chin and jawline, when I think it's clearing up more red spots appear, sometimes those painfull ones that you almost don't see but that hurt soo much.

My nose is currently so dry that it's showing even though I have many blackheads hidden there.

The middle of my forehead also has dry patches but I get breakout next to my brows.

The rest of my face is rather normal and doesn't seem to have a problem.

The products that I currently use are the Body Shop seaweed line. (cleaning gel, scrub, toner, night/day stuff) I remove my make up with the camomile cleansing oil. 

Starting from this week I have noticed that when I apply the toner and day or night cream that my face stings a little.

Before this I was using something from a brand called Jafra and the skincare line from Benefit.

I think something is wrong and I need other products. When I apply my foundation it looks horrid around my nose and forehead. Any recommandations for my skincare?

I was thinking that maybe I should get a clarisonic or try the clinique products. 

Thx

Hmm. It sounds like your skin parched! I would say try to stay away from any products containing SLS (sodium lauryl sulfate) or drying alcohols (denatured, ethyl, etc--a lot of poorly formulated toners have these in them). I don't know much about the exact product line that you're using, but definitely take a look at the ingredients lists.

It sounds like you're also struggling with cystic acne (the painful red bumbs, aka under-the-skin pimples). Anything that makes your skin burn, stop using immediately. You're probably irritating your skin, which isn't helping any, and may make acne worse. 

How often are you exfoliating? I have a Clarisonic, and I use it nightly, which helped a lot with my acne. My skin is dry, and so it used to peel because I wasn't exfoliating often enough. The flakes of skin would clog my pores, and then I would get a whole bunch of blackheads. If the Clarisonic is out of your budget (understandable), there are other ways to exfoliate effectively. I don't really like facial scrubs--I find them to be kind of harsh most of the time, and not the most effective way to exfoliate. If you're not using a cleansing brush like the Clarisonic, even taking your face wash on a washcloth could help. Also, I love BHA (salicylic acid) and AHA exfoliants. Paula's Choice makes some great ones. It'll also help ensure that you're removing your makeup effectively, which could also cause acne. (It also could be something in your makeup that's irritating your skin. It's hard to say). 

To start, eliminate your skincare routine to just the basics (maybe just the cleanser and moisturizers) and then once your face calms down, slowly start adding your other products back in so you can see what is irritating your skin.

Cetaphil is really nice because it has a really short ingredients list, so it's less likely to irritate. It doesn't have any antioxidants or any complex ingredients, but it's a good regiment to use for those with dry skin, and those who skin seems to be irritated. Then, you can go about finding a serum with antioxidants in it, or eventually move on to a more complex regimen.

I hope this helps! This is just my personal opinions, and you're the one who knows your skin best. You definitely might benefit from talking to your dermatologist or esthetician. Good luck! 

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm. It sounds like your skin parched! I would say try to stay away from any products containing SLS (sodium lauryl sulfate) or drying alcohols (denatured, ethyl, etc--a lot of poorly formulated toners have these in them). I don't know much about the exact product line that you're using, but definitely take a look at the ingredients lists.

It sounds like you're also struggling with cystic acne (the painful red bumbs, aka under-the-skin pimples). Anything that makes your skin burn, stop using immediately. You're probably irritating your skin, which isn't helping any, and may make acne worse. 

How often are you exfoliating? I have a Clarisonic, and I use it nightly, which helped a lot with my acne. My skin is dry, and so it used to peel because I wasn't exfoliating often enough. The flakes of skin would clog my pores, and then I would get a whole bunch of blackheads. If the Clarisonic is out of your budget (understandable), there are other ways to exfoliate effectively. I don't really like facial scrubs--I find them to be kind of harsh most of the time, and not the most effective way to exfoliate. If you're not using a cleansing brush like the Clarisonic, even taking your face wash on a washcloth could help. Also, I love BHA (salicylic acid) and AHA exfoliants. Paula's Choice makes some great ones. It'll also help ensure that you're removing your makeup effectively, which could also cause acne. (It also could be something in your makeup that's irritating your skin. It's hard to say). 

To start, eliminate your skincare routine to just the basics (maybe just the cleanser and moisturizers) and then once your face calms down, slowly start adding your other products back in so you can see what is irritating your skin.

Cetaphil is really nice because it has a really short ingredients list, so it's less likely to irritate. It doesn't have any antioxidants or any complex ingredients, but it's a good regiment to use for those with dry skin, and those who skin seems to be irritated. Then, you can go about finding a serum with antioxidants in it, or eventually move on to a more complex regimen.

I hope this helps! This is just my personal opinions, and you're the one who knows your skin best. You definitely might benefit from talking to your dermatologist or esthetician. Good luck! 
Thanks for this!

I just checked and the seaweed cleanser does have SLS, the toner has benzyl alchohol.

I searched my other stuff and I other products laying around.

I have been thinking to purchase the Clarisonic, it is expensive but if it helps it might be worth it.

There's also this one, it's a bit cheaper

http://www.clinique.com/product/12516/31047/Skin-Care/Cleansing-Brush/Clinique-Sonic-System-Purifying-Cleansing-Brush

I might just get a dermatologist appointment anyway

@ Wow sounds similar because I have bad cystic acne around jawline, mouth and chin area. But mine is coming from infections since I'm batteling chronic illness. But when you breakout like this it shows that there may be an imbalance on the inside as well.

But for skin care I use a cleanser from Trader Joe's, it's a clear bottle (don't remember the name, Nourish something) and then I use a toner. That definitely can help. Organic Witch Hazel is a natural astringent and helps with acne scarring. Also, organic Apple Cider Vinegar is really good too. I use both(not at the same time). I apply Apple Cider Vinegar on a cotton round and water on a separate cotton round (since it can be kind of strong alone, and can sting a little) But I go over the area with the Apple Cider Vinegar round and then immediately swipe over with the water absorbed round to dilute it. I heard drinking it can help a lot too. Some swear by it. But of course I'd recommend to ask your doctor before or doing research on it.

Also, you can apply Tea Tree Oil to help to acne too! Since Tea Tree Oil is a natural antibacterial. Another one that is amazing is Manuka honey. You can use that as a mask and seriously it'll shrink the acne! It also helps with redness! Manuka honey has healing properties. It's different than regular honey. Also organic Aloe Vera Gel can help with acne too! (Everything I'm recommending must be labeled organic so it's pure!)

After toner I use Aloe Vera to help with acne. Then I use a moisturizer! I have combo/oily skin. I use the Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturing Gel (for combo/oily skin). I like it! It doesn't do much for acne but doesn't bother it. It works great under makeup too. I also add a drop of organic Grapeseed Oil for the winter skin since I get a few dry patches.

I just recently ordered the Body Shop Tea Tree line in a trial size pack on their website. Also the Tea Tree mask I heard is good too. Since Tea Tree Oil helps with acne and is a natural antibacterial.

Also, Michael Todd (online website) has good natural products. Their Lemon Toner is great! Lemon is a natural brightener and detoxer anyways. It has AHA and DMEA and other helpful things in it too. The only thing I wouldn't recommend is their Moisture Lite moisturizer. It didn't help at all, left my face feeling sticky and oily. I also ordered a sample of their Jojoba and Charcoal cleanser and it's pretty good. It doesn't clear my acne though but I mix it with my Trader Joes and use it with my Clarisonic Mia 2. I definitely recommend the Clarisonic! It changed my skin texture to feeling smoother! It definitely cleans out my skin amazingly! So much better than just using my hands. I use it every night!

Let me know if you have any other questions! I hope this helps! ^_^ /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

- Kailey

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a licensed Esthetitican and sounds like you have cystic acne and that your skin isn't getting enough moisture.(with cystic acne you never want to try to extract, as the fluid might rupture under the skin and cause bigger issures.) I tried the seaweed like from The Body shop and although i liked it, I didn't see a huge difference in my skin. If manual exfoliating isn't working for you, I suggest getting a chemical peel at a spa to help with the build up of skin cells and help them turn over more quickly. If you don't change your pillow case ever 2-3 days I highly recommend doing that, such a small thing can make such a difference in your skin. If all else fails, I would see a dermatologist.

I'm a licensed Esthetitican and sounds like you have cystic acne and that your skin isn't getting enough moisture.(with cystic acne you never want to try to extract, as the fluid might rupture under the skin and cause bigger issures.) I tried the seaweed like from The Body shop and although i liked it, I didn't see a huge difference in my skin. If manual exfoliating isn't working for you, I suggest getting a chemical peel at a spa to help with the build up of skin cells and help them turn over more quickly. If you don't change your pillow case ever 2-3 days I highly recommend doing that, such a small thing can make such a difference in your skin. If all else fails, I would see a dermatologist.
I change it every week, sometimes it can be a bit longer.

I just decided that before I buy any new products, I'm seeing a dermatologist. 

I had some luck and there was a spot open tonight. I'll keep you update with my problems.

I always thought my skin was to oily and probably didn't give it enough moisture. I think that the day/night cream from the seaweed line aren't moisturising enough.

Hopefully I can get rid of this mess. I know you have to try and not touch but it's sooo difficult, it itches or it just bothers me and I go and touch the damn things on my chin.

Update gals!

I went to the dermatologist and I have acne (ofcourse) the kind you get when you are a teenager. I need to take anti biotics for 6 weeks. 

Minocycline Sandoz is the name.

The products he gave me are for washing my face Ducray Keracnyl foaming gel.

Lotion: La Roche-Posay Effaclar H multi comensating soothing moisturizer 

and at night every 2 day I need to use Epiduo wich consists of benzoylperoxide and adapalene. Lets hope this works, now I forgot to ask if I can use makeup :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> and if so if I remove it do I need to use something specific.

If you are taking antibiotics, it's always important to protect your gut lining since antibiotics kill everything. So taking probiotics is needed to keep your gut protected and prevent you from getting more issues. If your gut is in an imbalance then that can be why you're getting acne too. It will show in your skin. I hope this helps :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Good luck! ^_^ /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

- Kailey

I'm glad you went and hope that it works for you. I know it's winter but still be careful when you're going to be out in the sun. The antibiotics and the epiduo can make your skin sensitive and cause you to burn more easily. I'm sure the dermo told you this though :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> keep us posted!

Hey gals,

After a week my face is already starting to clear up. Less redness, woohooo.

I did get a few new big pimples but they are healing. The epiduo is giving me very dry patches though.

I actually forgot to ask the dermo if it's okay to still use make up. My foundation looks horrible at the moment though. Just got a make up mirror with 5x times magnification. Dear lord, the horror.

Hey all,

Just a little update. Some new bumps appeared :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

But I'm not giving up.

I was still using make up, got the Vice 3 palette. But no make-up on today. 

This weekend my eyelids were looking like a lizard (read flaky skin). Yesterday I applied some moisturizer on them and holly hell, I thought they were burning of. 

When I got up this morning I looked like I cried for hours and didn't sleep at all. Still flaky but puffy and redness under the eye and on my lids.

I applied my eyecream and it burned like hell again. 

I wonder if this is a side effect from the epiduo even though I didn't get near my eyes :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Latest posts

Back