Kristine Walker

Days 11-20 of 100 day No Buy Challenge

Day 11: success. Even went to the gym! Just finished eating supper, will go use some of the face mask stuff in a jar from memebox. I feel like I've been concentrating too much on the sheet masks.

I feel good. I can't wait to pay off my discover card in February. I'd like to use up some of my indie samples, but then i get the whole "but they'll be gone and you'll miss them...buy full size so you don't miss out!" I feel like if I don't buy something, I'm going to miss out on something..but really, it's make up, and I need to keep remembering that!!

• Like 3

Day 11: success. Even went to the gym! Just finished eating supper, will go use some of the face mask stuff in a jar from memebox. I feel like I've been concentrating too much on the sheet masks.

I feel good. I can't wait to pay off my discover card in February. I'd like to use up some of my indie samples, but then i get the whole "but they'll be gone and you'll miss them...buy full size so you don't miss out!" I feel like if I don't buy something, I'm going to miss out on something..but really, it's make up, and I need to keep remembering that!!

If there is a product that you really love, allow yourself to purchase it after your no-buy is over. Chances are it will still be available then. :)

• Like 2

I had initally said I would not do weekly (sets of 10 days) goals but it also kind of works as a to do list for me:

Days 11-20

1. Use 1 hair mask, 1 face mask and paint nails 1x

2. Now that my makeup is inventoried find a way to organize it.  This may mean buying storage as opposed to using storage I have.  I will research how much storage I need and come up with a budget (if anyone has great storage ideas, or pictures I am very visual it is appreciated!)

3.  De baggie some indie shadows

4.  Find some indie shadows that went AWOL.  Hoping when I work on organization they will pop up.

5. Finish book I started last week (it is a library book and not due till 1/23 but I have another one to read and 2 to pick up!)

6. Start culling through stash for things I am not using.  Either swap or donate them.

7.  Continue to find things for donation pile and take bag when full.

Day 11: went to target and so far so good!  Had to buy a new deoderant as I used one up and attempted to use the travel one I had but it malfunctioned resulting in deoderant stuck in the cap and the base disconnected from the bottom!  I did pick up 5 $1 baskets for potential storage but if I do not use them by next weekend I will take them back.

Hope everyone gets their week off to an amazing start!

• Like 2

Fighting an urge not to sub to petit vour. I have to wait until march because I made a rule to only sub to 2 boxes a month. 

Otherwise doing well, although I traded one addiction (shopping) for another (sample collecting). I have to go cold turkey and find more positive things to do. Like finish my book and the hat I'm knitting.

• Like 3

Completed days 1-10 so here are my goals for 11-20.  I've included more general goals because listing them out seems to hold me more accountable for finishing them.

• Use a facial mask/peel twice.
  • Use up 6 products, foils are okay.  
  • Read another book.  
  • Watch at least one youtube tutorial video to learn how to use the stuff I already have better.
  • I've been good about going to the gym 3x week for strength training but I'd like to add 2 cardio workouts during this 10 day period.
  • Wear my fitbit everyday and average 8k steps.   It's a lot harder to get in steps during the winter.
  • Bonus goal - Car stuff.  Clean out car, replace windshield wipers, use rain beading stuff on windshield, and anti fog stuff on the inside.
  • Like 2

Completed days 1-10 so here are my goals for 11-20.  I've included more general goals because listing them out seems to hold me more accountable for finishing them.

• Use a facial mask/peel twice.
  • Use up 6 products, foils are okay.  
  • Read another book.  
  • Watch at least one youtube tutorial video to learn how to use the stuff I already have better.
  • I've been good about going to the gym 3x week for strength training but I'd like to add 2 cardio workouts during this 10 day period.
  • Wear my fitbit everyday and average 8k steps.   It's a lot harder to get in steps during the winter.
  • Bonus goal - Car stuff.  Clean out car, replace windshield wipers, use rain beading stuff on windshield, and anti fog stuff on the inside.

Cleaning out the car is a good idea.... Definitely going to do that tomorrow.

Lots of Fitbit people here.  Anyone interested in starting a Fitbit group?  Or if I start one, would anyone sign up?

I have a Fitbit, too.  We get points through our health insurance at work and we can redeem them for gift cards.  I got like $300 in Amazon gift cards last year, which meant a fair amount of free cat food.

I actually get more steps in during the winter, though.  My dog is very big and black, and she does not like hot weather.  So I bundle up and we walk more when it's cold (which she seems to love).  Also I can take the stairs at work in winter (I work on the 8th floor) but not in summer because there is no AC in the stairwell and I don't want to arrive at the office drenched in sweat.

• Like 3

Accomplishment alert! I canceled my MSA Quarterly subscription as well as my Walmart Beauty Box today! $220 saved! The only subscriptions I have now are Birchbox and Popsugar and are prepaid.

BB is paid for a year because of a crazy sale at the end of 2014 and Popsugar is paid for six months for the same reason. Both were part of my husband's Christmas gift to me. With the crazy low price + my reviews, the BB just about pays for itself. Part of the Popsugar items will be saved to use for Christmas gifts for others. I got many Christmas gifts that way this year.

Meals for the week are planned and shopped for (with the exception of some fresh lettuce later in the week).

I exercised for 45 minutes today and am drinking lots of water.

I want to add painting my nails at least once to my list of 10 day goals. My current polish will probably only hold out for another day or so.

• Like 7

What about making a condition that you have to use up a certain amount of samples before you can buy a full size of the sample that you really like after the no buy is over (that sample has to be one of the ones you use up)?  Delaying buying the full size until you've used up the sample and a couple others gives you some time to think about if you really need it and if you really miss having it.  Maybe there's something else in your stash that's just as good or better.

I'm going to do something similar with lip products.  I've found a sample I really like and want to buy a full size but I'm going to wait until I finish off that sample and 4 other lip products (and after the 100 days).

• Like 2

Goals: exercise 4x a week

Reorganize my desk at home

That's it. I'm shuddering just thinking about the desk. I'll be exercising three times a day just to avoid the damn desk

• Like 6

What about making a condition that you have to use up a certain amount of samples before you can buy a full size of the sample that you really like after the no buy is over (that sample has to be one of the ones you use up)? Delaying buying the full size until you've used up the sample and a couple others gives you some time to think about if you really need it and if you really miss having it. Maybe there's something else in your stash that's just as good or better.

I'm going to do something similar with lip products. I've found a sample I really like and want to buy a full size but I'm going to wait until I finish off that sample and 4 other lip products (and after the 100 days).

That's what i should do-finish fhe samples, take pictures of the colors I like, and then see if I want them after my no buy.

I do pretty good with short term goals, but my long term goal is to continue with the no buy/low buy. I really need to pay down some debt-my goal is to get my debt paid down and then I can buy a new car-this is my long term goal through summer of 2016.

• Like 1

Lots of Fitbit people here.  Anyone interested in starting a Fitbit group?  Or if I start one, would anyone sign up?

I have a Fitbit, too.  We get points through our health insurance at work and we can redeem them for gift cards.  I got like $300 in Amazon gift cards last year, which meant a fair amount of free cat food.

I actually get more steps in during the winter, though.  My dog is very big and black, and she does not like hot weather.  So I bundle up and we walk more when it's cold (which she seems to love).  Also I can take the stairs at work in winter (I work on the 8th floor) but not in summer because there is no AC in the stairwell and I don't want to arrive at the office drenched in sweat.

Yes a fitbit group would be great!  I currently have a Garmin Vivofit  (bought to replace my Fitbit Force that was recalled) but I ordered the Fitbit Charge HR which will be here in 8-10 weeks -____-

I am able to get steps in and meet my goal pretty regularly.

I would love to be able to redeem my fitbit stuff for amazon GCs!  In the first 6 months I had my Garmin I walked 2,370,374 steps which was 1121.25 miles.  I miss the altimeter on the fitbit and can't wait till I get mine.

My goals for days 11-20

1. Continue no-buy on beauty products, basic hygiene items do not count, but I must be nearly out to replace ( no hoarding hygiene items)

2. Clean out car, it's gotten kinda tragic :(

3. Continue to scrutinize my keeps, checking for dupes, and finding great dupes in my stash for my high-end items

4. Watch YouTube videos for more makeup looks to try to get out of a rut with my look, but match colors from my stash.

5. Find an alternative to shopping and eating to deal with emotions. I think I'll try brushing my teeth more often to deal with the eating, I hate to eat right after I brush. Bonus-whiter smile!

• Like 5

I have been wanting one, so once I get it, I would definitely join! I was thinking of swapping it out for one of my rewards I have planned anyway, since they are about the same price.

I think I'll start sorting nail polishes this time. I didn't include them in the massive sort-a-palooza before January 1st. I know I probably have massive amounts of purples and blues, so I need to whittle out the dupes.

I'm about 1/3 way through writing down everything I have.  I decided to write down everything into the notes section of my phone.  I always have my phone on me, and that way I can look at it if I need a reminder of what I've got.  Unfortunately, it only allows for 1,000 characters at a time, and I'm onto my 4th note.  1 entire note was just perfumes, yikes!  It will probably be just as bad for my lotions, though.  That reminds me, I need to put a lotion in the bathroom, after a shower I always think to put some on, but since there's none in there, I forget about it by the time I leave.

I also did a mask today, while wearing it I started to read the bottle, and it says to expect it to last 18 months.  Right now I'm in the 17th month of having it, and it's probably only got a few more uses left.

• Like 5

I've done well so far. No more buying things I don't need. The best part is that I am actually making progress on my destash! Seeing the amount of stuff I have definitely has me disgusted and not wanting to buy more. I'm glad I collected some stuff because it helped me discover the items I really love, but there's really no need to keep around a bunch of stuff I don't love. I am still having some issues getting rid of some stuff, but I have a ton of stuff now that I am getting rid of. For 11-20, I will keep destashing my makeup/skincare collection and list stuff on ebay/edivv/donate so I don't have a bunch of stuff lying around. It's a very exciting process. 

• Like 5

I tried another blush today. It was a creme blush which I had no idea how to apply. I also made a list of subs and canceled 3 today. I put them in the spoiler because I wasn't sure if I could write about it or if it had to be in a spoiler.

I emailed Petit Vour to cancel. I use one or two products from each box and after looking back at the boxes I received decided it was time to cancel. I emailed HomeGrown Collective to cancel before my 3 month sub renews. I am not even sure if it autorenews. I have to email them every month for my box. It always comes, but I don't want to chase after the sub. The last one made me sad. I cancelled Gourmet Body Treats. This was an easy cancellation because it was through PayPal. I cancelled it because I love their cleanser, moisturizer, and mask. I'm committed to those items and don't need to continue the sub.

• Like 5

Mini Goals/Updates that are on my mind:

So I didn't come up with any mini goals for the first 10 days, but I'm going to kind of list some that have been floating in my mind these past few days and see if I can split them up to be used in the next 9 sections of 10 days. Hehehe.

1. Cotton pads for face- I use the Shiseido ones, and I want to make flannel ones from baby blankets, then compare and see if it's soft enough to take the place of me buying those.

2. Nail polish remover with old rag instead of cotton pads.

3. Make DIY eyelash and brow serum using old mascara tubes. (Already cleaned out 2 tubes for this, and it takes several days because you have to let them dry before you add your oils in.)

4. Fix my Mint.com account- it's working but having trouble attaching to my bank account.

5. Buy Roth IRA for 2014/2015. I think I already maxed mine out for 2014 last December, but that could have been 2013 instead... so I need to check on this!

6. Check on TSP/401k. I just want to check in on this and see what's up.

7. Update address at Raymond James.

8. Start the envelope method soon- get it ready for February.

9. Clean out closet.

10. Go through all clothes and get rid of 20% of clothes.

11. Make list of things I may need so I can plan for their purchases (running shoes, prescription sunglasses, hair clips and hair pins).

12. Keep list of things I want and reevaluate if I still want it at the end of 100-day no-buy.

13. Keep running! At least 3x a week! (I ran Monday and Tuesday after work, now I just need to run one more day this week to keep this goal going!)

14. Pack lunches for work.

15. Go to my credit union's annual dinner. (1/27 at Muse Center, Hinds CC).

16. Get the ex off my credit card, and my name off his.

17. When I start running out of items I need, consider emailing companies for samples instead of repurchasing. Or going to Sephora for samples to try. But only a few times, not indefinitely.

18. Get back into reading and sending letters to friends to keep myself from obsessing over makeup.

19. Start obsessing over my thesis and get it going! Work on it 2 days a week at the minimum!!! Consider going to the library Saturday 9-12 to work on it every weekend.

20. Regularly get rid of mascara and lip balms after 3 months.

21. Clean makeup brushes one time in each of the 10 10-day sections!

22. Take a look at my December and January bank statements!!!

23. Keep writing your 'morning pages' where you list out what time you went to bed, when you woke up, what time you got to work, what you ate, what you purchased, if you exercised, and what tempted you and how you're dealing with it!  I did this today and it's awesome!!!

Here's a sneak peak at my page for today!

attachicon.gifphoto 1(3).JPG

I didn't quite finish up all my plans, so I'm continuing the list quoted above from the first 10 days. I've crossed out ones I was successful with already, and have bolded the ones I want to focus on first.

Also, I want to continue with:

#23 on my list of writing my morning pages every day. I also want to type up and print out a checklist of things I want to make sure I do daily (like meditating, treating my skin well, exercising or stretching, flossing, you get the idea.)

#11 Make list of items that I may need to buy so I can plan for them

#12 Keep list of items that tempt me for reevaluation

#13 Run and excercise!

#14 Pack lunches so I don't have to spend money on going out to eat

And I'm adding some new ones:

24. Paint nails and toenails twice a week- Make sure to oil cuticles multiple times a day!

25. Keep working on style inspiration notebook to zero in on your style. When you figure it out, work on your style wardrobe thingy at Into Mind blog (http://into-mind.com/2012/12/20/building-a-capsule-wardrobe-101/) My goal is a minimalistic, quality over quantity curated set of belongings that help make me happier, rather than make me anxious!

26. Pay off credit card

And a note on my first 10 days: I did it!!!!!!! I haven't bought any beauty items or even any other items that were not planned for (rx sunglasses I purchased had been in the works for a loooong time, and I had to replace my necessary skincare items). I'm so happy!!!!

Congratulations to everyone who has participated in the first 10 days of the 100 day no-buy!!! And if you were successful, even more props to you!!!! :wizard:

Edited by eastofthesun
  • Like 11

Congratulations to everyone who has participated in the first 10 days of the 100 day no-buy!!! And if you were successful, even more props to you!!!! :wizard:

Congrats to you too and everyone else who made it! 

I managed unscathed, and it really helped to keep a wish list. 

My main goal is to not redirect my urge to buy makeup toward clothes. I bought a bunch of stuff in December and should be able to manage without buying more for a while. So no clothes purchases for these 10 days.

I also really need to clear out my linen and coat closets. Every time I open the doors, something falls out on me.

Mainly, I am trying to focus my time and attention elsewhere.

• Like 3

I found you all!! 

I missed the first 11 days and was inadvertently successful on the no-buy because work has kept me super busy, a little too busy for the start of January! I did buy some things like a coat and some sweaters, but absolutely nothing beauty related so that's a success in my book!

Goals for the next 9 days include: 

• Working out at least 3x this week: I've had this Zumba game for my WiiU for almost a YEAR NOW and I have yet to ever try it, so yeah it's time to break that sucker in
  • There are 3 major organization projects I need to get done in my home: organize my closet , organize my office and organize my beauty stash.  In the next ten days, I will plan to organize my closet, by giving away a ton of items I've been holding on to for far too long, and only keeping new pieces and pieces that I absolutely love wearing and feel fabulous in.  Life is too short to have a closet full of clothes I don't fully love! 
  • Continue to cook as many meals at home as possible.  With my busy job that is a difficult task, but my boo helps out a lot with meals as well so I can count on him to help us complete that goal. 

That's all for me, if I get that all done over the next 10 days, I will be supremely happy!

• Like 4

Today I returned some shirts I ordered last year that arrived on friday and did not fit.  I also exchanged a pair of sunglasses I got as a gift that did not fit.  No $ out of pocket.  No purchases and no additional items brought into the housr 

• Like 2