No-Buy Rewards!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I wanna talk about my rewards, but I don't want to cloud up no-buy threads with mini-hauls and shopping plans. So, here we are.

My reward for the first ten days was redeeming the $10 Gap code from Birchbox. The store closest to me had a bunch of clearance, so I got two tee shirts and a convertible maxi skirt/dress for 85 cents out-of-pocket, including tax, and I feel pretty good about that.

I'm not sure what to do for my second ten days. What sorts of mini-rewards are you guys doing?

Last edited by a moderator:
My reward for each of the 10 day periods is $10 to spend at the end of the no-buy. I could end up with a total of $100 if I meet my challenge each time. I want all of the money to spend, so I am trying really hard. So far, I've earned $10! Yay!
Congrats! I was thinking about your awesome reward for yourself today and thinking, well, she got $10, yay!!!

Ok for mine, I had some ideas:

1. frozen yogurt (not so good for winter/spring)

2. try on running shoes in order to find the best pair for my feet

3. swatch makeup at sephora or ulta

4. can redeem sephora points for some reward

I don't know... I just don't like them, so I'm stealing your idea, @@Natasha01 and I'm giving myself $10 to spend! I think I'll take out ten bucks cash and put it in an envelope and when April 10th rolls around,

I'll take that baby to Sephora for Chic Week! YEAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for your freaking awesome idea and for letting me steal your idea!!!!! :smilehappyyes: :flowers:

My reward for each of the 10 day periods is $10 to spend at the end of the no-buy. I could end up with a total of $100 if I meet my challenge each time. I want all of the money to spend, so I am trying really hard. So far, I've earned $10! Yay!
I'm stealing this as well.  But I'm going to save the (potentially) $100 til June on a b-day spree.  I'm trying hard not to make a list of wants ATM, because that will just cause me to casually look and if there happens to be a deal running, I'm not certain I could hold onto the no buy.

@@eastofthesun @@Megan27ist @@Natasha01

I am putting my tempted items in my sephora loves list, and when I go in to look at them, some of them stay, and some of them get deleted because I change my mind. So I will know what I am most interested by April, and I will buy some within a budget-- I am thinking maybe ~$120? I am not sure yet-- will have to see how my inventory gets used up-- I will spend 80% of the budget on skincare.

I like the $100 for 100 days of no buying too. I've been wanting a new pair of shoes that are in that price range so that will be my big reward at the end of the 100 days if I refrain from buying anything beauty related and use up 100 items. 

I'm not rewarding myself.  For me, this has been about NOT spending money (on things I don't need) -- it's about changing habits.  So spending money (now or in the future) is kind of counter to what I'm going for.  I mean, no, eventually my stash will go bad (it will NEVER get used up, no matter how hard I try; there is just too much stuff) so I'm not on a no-buy forever.

Can't buy food, because that was part of the problem in the first place (obviously I don't have a stash of food but I was eating way too much junk).

That being said, this is only *my* personal situation and of course I don't claim to speak for everyone.  We are all here for our own reasons and what works for one person may not work for another.

I won't be rewarding myself with beauty items - I have too many already, and I don't want to undo my progress with downsizing. I do think rewards are very important though, and I usually like to focus on experiences rather than more stuff. This time though I think I'll buy a bathing suit after the 100 days. I'm going on my first out of country vacation in about 14 years and I don't own one right now so it's something I actually need!

I'm planning to do a reward but I'm not sure what. I need a new brush (it's been like 7 years and it's literally falling apart). I'm considering a Mason-Pearson brush because I like buying nice things once. Plus the brush that I have isn't sold anymore. On the other hand, I brush my hair after every shower, when it's still wet. MP brushes are really expensive, and you're not supposed to use them wet. Might not be the brush style for me.

Tonight, I'm treating myself to a long bubble bath, face mask and a glass of wine. That's my treat for 10 days of not spending $$. I'm trying to think of ways to treat myself that don't include bringing more stuff in the house, but I may allow myself to purchase a couple of indie products that have been on my wishlist forever and a day when the no buy is over. As long as I legitimately cannot find anything remotely close to it in my stash and if I can use up or get rid of a similar item. For instance if it's an eyeshadow, I have to finish an eye shadow (which is doable) or get rid of one. 

I'm still looking for ideas!

I hope to use up most of my stash with this 100 days, and if I find something I love through it, the $100 would allow me to pick it up.  But I'm not going to limit myself to just makeup with my spree (but that's probably what it will be).

So I'm not doing a no-buy but I am on a low buy because this year there is a specific item I really want to treat myself to and that can't happen unless I resist temptation. Soo, if I am able to stick to my low-buy until May (I'm talking approximately $100 a month on all beauty essentials, including subs and replenishment) then I can get...

Celine Luggage Phantom (color and size TBD by available selection at Barney's)

Spoiler tags because I'm so ridiculous I don't even want to see it myself. But I've been wanting it for three years now, so I think I've been pretty good. Anyways, this is the year but I'm not going to just splurge. I'm going to have to give up some of my other purchases, for sure.

@@eastofthesun @@Megan27ist @@Natasha01

I am putting my tempted items in my sephora loves list, and when I go in to look at them, some of them stay, and some of them get deleted because I change my mind. So I will know what I am most interested by April, and I will buy some within a budget-- I am thinking maybe ~$120? I am not sure yet-- will have to see how my inventory gets used up-- I will spend 80% of the budget on skincare.
That's great- you just inspired me to go through my Loves list and I just deleted a bunch of stuff!!!  Yeah, same here, what I end up purchasing will depend on what I learned through my no buy. It'll probably be mostly skincare and maybe a lipstick too. Possibly an indie contour powder that I've had my eye on.

I'm not rewarding myself.  For me, this has been about NOT spending money (on things I don't need) -- it's about changing habits.  So spending money (now or in the future) is kind of counter to what I'm going for.  I mean, no, eventually my stash will go bad (it will NEVER get used up, no matter how hard I try; there is just too much stuff) so I'm not on a no-buy forever.

Can't buy food, because that was part of the problem in the first place (obviously I don't have a stash of food but I was eating way too much junk).

That being said, this is only *my* personal situation and of course I don't claim to speak for everyone.  We are all here for our own reasons and what works for one person may not work for another.
That's a very good point- and while I'm afraid to get back on the same lifestyle I had, I don't think it will. I think knowing I earned the $ through willpower and having gone through my stash (depending on how much I use up and what I learn about myself through the products) then I may feel good and safe about buying myself something that I'll need or at least that I'll use and be happy to use. I want to keep the same lifestyle, and I think it won't be too hard, as I'm really enjoying this! It's actually cut down on some of my anxiety somehow... probably just keeping me from worrying about making the 'perfect cart' and maximizing my GWP and all that. It's a relief not having to follow all the sales and things. My mind can concentrate on other things until I'm almost out of a product I need and use daily.

Tonight, I'm treating myself to a long bubble bath, face mask and a glass of wine. That's my treat for 10 days of not spending $$. I'm trying to think of ways to treat myself that don't include bringing more stuff in the house, but I may allow myself to purchase a couple of indie products that have been on my wishlist forever and a day when the no buy is over. As long as I legitimately cannot find anything remotely close to it in my stash and if I can use up or get rid of a similar item. For instance if it's an eyeshadow, I have to finish an eye shadow (which is doable) or get rid of one. 

I'm still looking for ideas!
Great treat! What kind of wine did you have, and did you drink it in the bathtub? Hehee, that seems so much more luxurious! I'm still kind of looking for ideas, but I'll probably go with the $10 per 10-day increment.... I'm not sure yet, though.... it's hard to decide on a reward. Maybe I shouldn't stress over it anymore.

I hope to use up most of my stash with this 100 days, and if I find something I love through it, the $100 would allow me to pick it up.  But I'm not going to limit myself to just makeup with my spree (but that's probably what it will be).
Yeah, same here!

So I'm not doing a no-buy but I am on a low buy because this year there is a specific item I really want to treat myself to and that can't happen unless I resist temptation. Soo, if I am able to stick to my low-buy until May (I'm talking approximately $100 a month on all beauty essentials, including subs and replenishment) then I can get...

Celine Luggage Phantom (color and size TBD by available selection at Barney's)

Spoiler tags because I'm so ridiculous I don't even want to see it myself. But I've been wanting it for three years now, so I think I've been pretty good. Anyways, this is the year but I'm not going to just splurge. I'm going to have to give up some of my other purchases, for sure.
Sometimes it's really nice to save up for a really big treat for yourself. Good luck to you!

My liquor cabinet is basically empty and truth be told I am not much of a drinker.  Though, if I have a successful 100 days of not buying beauty products then maybe I should get myself a nice bottle hard liquor. I'm not thinking of going on a bender - just something to have on hand. 
Hehe, that's a cool idea. I have been wanting to pick up a locally-made vodka flavored with honeysuckle... so maybe that can be one of my 10-day rewards instead of $10? We'll see!!!

I was going to make my reward concert tickets originally. Then I really thought about it honestly and I know that even if I fail at the no buy I will still buy myself tickets for any shows that get announced so that's not going to work. So since I have tickets for 1 concert already in March and am possibly going to 1 next week and possibly another in March and there are a few I'm debating on in February (if you can't tell I love music even more than makeup xD) I decided my reward will be: If I stay on track then I can buy merch at the shows I go to! So I'm thinking each 10-day period I stay on track = 1 shirt. Or I can use two 10-day periods for 1 hoodie or sweatshirt or something more expensive than a shirt. Perfect incentive because I know I will be wanting all of the shirts!

DH and I had $75 in GCs to Cracker Barrel, so on the 11th we went out to breakfast. Purses were being marked down 75% off, so I snagged a new purse that was only $9 after discount.

Since we paid for everything with GCs his Mom gave us for Christmas, we had only $5 cash outlay for the tip.

I've been trying to something I could reward myself with but I just don't know.

I will need new clothes at some point, but it might take a while before I can buy new ones since my estimated due date is April 24th... So clothes are not an option. I'm thinking a set from Sephora, something around $50-$75 (skincare, probably), nothing huge because I'm trying to buy less and I feel that I would undo all the hard work. Or I just might wait a few weeks and get clothes once I'm back to my pre-pregnancy weight. I'll see. But I know I'll buy clothes even if I don't suceed on this no buy...  :rolleyes:

I decided to restructure my no buy, and think of doing a no buy for each of my 14 credit card balances. Each time I pay off a card completely, I can treat myself to something non essential. I completed my first card payoff after one solid month of no buy, so I treated myself to a DVD I have been dying for. I will get tangible things, not something like food - I want the rewards to be items I can keep to remind me of past successes. 

What a great idea! I love the reward being a tangible thing that you can enjoy for times ahead. Makes the reward so much more sweeter and the hard work so much more worth it! Keep up the great work!!!

Latest posts

Back