SquareHue February 2015

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, I reactivated my SqH account and have been billed for the February box.  Any ideas what will be in the box for the 1910s decade?

I frankly have no idea.  The main event of the decade seems to have been The Great War, aka WWI, which doesn't sound very cheery.  No, wait, I know!  Votes for women!  I read that the color gold was used symbolically by the suffragettes.  And wasn't navy blue a popular color for clothing then?

Let's start guessing.  :-D

I have no idea what to expect from February! If the website is any spoiler, I would expect a coral/orange, but who knows if that is really a spoiler?

As for the Historical events, definitely WWI (but how do you symbolize that in nail polish?) Red for Poppies would be neat, although they have sent a lot of reds lately and that is more of a UK/Commonwealth tradition. I think they may wait until 1920 to signify Women's Suffrage, but I could definitely see that this month as well. Maybe something about the Titanic? This link has some interesting 1910s history (including that Oreo Cookies were introduced in this decade!)  http://history1900s.about.com/od/timelines/tp/1910timeline.htm

Basically, I have no idea! I'm excited to see what they send out! 

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, KatieS131, you have lots of great ideas.  I love the poppies one and the Titanic reference too.

I guess I think of women's suffrage as more of a 1910s idea because so many individual states passed laws allowing the vote in that decade, although the wider U.S. amendment was not until 1920.  Btw, the first U.S. congresswoman was Jeannette Rankin, from my state of Montana!

Update:  I received the January box yesterday, which I had asked SqH if I could buy, after seeing the colors, all three of which are perfect for me.

On the back of the swatch card is that text that's written like a letter or diary entry from the fictional "Siren."  Part of it reads, "What a thrill to have witnessed the first flight!  The world is changing so much it makes my head turn.  Laura was telling us that soon women will have the right to vote."

So I think that's a hint about a polish for next month indeed!  Something to do with suffrage, and I'll guess a gold since that was their symbolic color.  That would go nicely with a poppy red.

So I think that's a hint about a polish for next month indeed!
I didn't even catch that part!  Laura is one of the SquareHue people, so I'll have to remember to keep an eye out on future cards for this!  It would be interesting if they did bookend shades:  One for the Volstead Act for February and another one in April for the repeal of Prohibition.  And I would love to see one representing Jack Johnson.  And the discovery of Machu Picchu.  And a kick-ass chrome for the invention of stainless steel!  I always embrace any reason for silvers and chromes.

Duh, me!  I forgot Laura is one of the customer service people!  And she's always so great to me; how could I have forgotten that.  My brain cells are dying as I speak and falling on to my keyboard.

For repeal of Prohibition -- a champagne color?  Hmmm, SqH has already had several of those but it's still a good idea.  I wish SqH would do some colors with more "depth" to them, so to speak.  For example, the polish in my avatar was a limited edition from OPI that was silver but had bronze/copper specks and I love it so much.  One of my fave polishes from Butter London is Scuppered, which is a brown-bronze foil with green specks.  Sounds odd, but it really works.

I have a package from Squarehue sitting at my grandmothers....when do they send out the next months packages? I also got the promo for a free gift with my first sub so it could be that also.  B)

I have a package from Squarehue sitting at my grandmothers....when do they send out the next months packages? I also got the promo for a free gift with my first sub so it could be that also.  B)
Boxes always go out right around the first of the month.  Sometimes it's a day or two before, and sometimes it's a day or two after, just depending on whether it's a weekend or holiday.  Due to their billing cycle, your first monthly box will always be the following month's collection, so my guess is that this is probably your free gift!

I'm so excited for this box (and my surprise one) since it is my first one! I love some of the theories - a nice gold or something inspired by Titanic!

I'm skipping a little ahead but I'm really hoping the 1930s acknowledges The Wizard of Oz (like a sparkling Emerald City green) or, being the nerdy nuclear engineer I am, something inspired by the splitting of the atom!

I'm totally excited for this whole year! I can't help but have my fingers crossed that they send me January as my surprise box......perhaps I should beg them..... :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I think I've figured out their shipping emails:  You get one from Stamps.com when they generate the shipping label, and then you get another one from SquareHue themselves *without* the tracking number when it's actually picked up.

Yep, I got my shipping notice too; hope my box arrives Monday.  I really wonder if there will be anything related to the Titanic, yet feel that might be hard to do without sounding morbid.  I'd guess a metallic gray except we just got one -- a great one -- in the January box.

My guesses are:  a poppy red (Great War), a gold (women's suffrage), and a medium-dark blue (for no particular reason).  I never care if my guesses are right or wrong!  :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I was also going to make my guesses for a blue, red, and cream/beige/gold.

The blue could represent the Titanic and the Atlantic ocean. Deep, sparkly, maybe slightly teal.  Poppy red seems period appropriate. Squarehue seems to have done several reds lately (Oct, Dec) so I'm not sure about that. Something influenced by Coco Chanel? This is an interesting website of fashion of the time http://glamourdaze.com/history-of-womens-fashion/1900-to-1919.   

Mine is scheduled for delivery on Monday but we never get our mail before 4pm. 

Anyone in Canada who can tell me how long they usually take to get here?

Btw, SilverNail, I must thank you for your post about begging for January! I did too and they agreed to send it as my "surprise" box! Yay! They seriously have the best customer service out there! Now I won't miss a single decade! So stoked!

As of Monday, I'm going to try and force myself to avoid all feeds that might give away the surprise......this will likely last for mere hours before I cave from the suspense. Hahaha!

Anyone in Canada who can tell me how long they usually take to get here?

Btw, SilverNail, I must thank you for your post about begging for January! I did too and they agreed to send it as my "surprise" box! Yay! They seriously have the best customer service out there! Now I won't miss a single decade! So stoked!

As of Monday, I'm going to try and force myself to avoid all feeds that might give away the surprise......this will likely last for mere hours before I cave from the suspense. Hahaha!
You are very welcome!  Sing with me -- "Ain't too proud to beg, sweet darlin' ...."  :lol:

Spoilers!

Once again Squarehue is duplicating

colors. The olive color from Passport: Prague that I loved so much, Na Prikope, has actually returned as War Crinoline. Not close to, not similar to, but the same dang color!

I am leaving this site after I post this, but I really enjoyed discussing SquareHue with all of you!

This month is terrible! I think that

the medium pink color ("Tunic")
is good but I am very unhappy with the others! Especially the olive because as @@Hariette pointed out, it is the EXACT same color sent out in November! SH has sent out similar colors before, but I am convinced these are the same, I even painted several fingers with each and couldn't tell the difference. I also am not a fan of the names, I mean "Tunic" really? All the events in the 1910s and that's what you come up with?

Anyway, sorry for ranting but I am so disappointed in this month. It is probably my least favorite box I have received from SquareHue and I am so mad about the duplicate olive polish.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back