Is it OK to Put Lash Glue on Eyelids??

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I saw youtube video, she applied Lash Glue on her eye lid with eyeliner pencil and THEN applied lashes. Is it safe to do this or will it damage my natural lash when removing if it gets on natural lashes??

I saw youtube video, she applied Lash Glue on her eye lid with eyeliner pencil and THEN applied lashes. Is it safe to do this or will it damage my natural lash when removing if it gets on natural lashes??
It's a stupid way of doing it. Vloggers can be pretty stupid at times - recently another vlogger made a video on DIY mascara made from something that's not suppose to be used in the eye area. Anything for viewers I guess even if their viewers would probably do it. Serve those vloggers right if they're sued if someone is hurt doing what the vlogger recommended.

Any how, don't do it that way. You can injure your eyes that way. Apply the glue to the lash using a toothpick if you really want a nice thin, clean line.

Ok, When applying the lashes, what do I do if the glue gets on my natural lashes by accident and notice that within hours? If it gets on my natural lashes, would it rip my natural lashes if I remove it after hours?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, When applying the lashes, what do I do if the glue gets on my natural lashes by accident and notice that within hours? If it gets on my natural lashes, would it rip my natural lashes if I remove it after hours?
If the glue gets on your natural lashes don't worry about it unless it's a huge glob. When you remove the lashes use an eye makeup remover intended to remove waterproof mascara. Also do not rip the lashes off like you would a band-aid. To remove lashes you close your eye and in a downward motion slide the lash off. If you're having a hard time still use more makeup remover on a cotton pad and hold on your closed eyelid for several seconds then try the slide motion again.

If the glue gets on your natural lashes don't worry about it unless it's a huge glob. When you remove the lashes use an eye makeup remover intended to remove waterproof mascara. Also do not rip the lashes off like you would a band-aid. To remove lashes you close your eye and in a downward motion slide the lash off. If you're having a hard time still use more makeup remover on a cotton pad and hold on your closed eyelid for several seconds then try the slide motion again.
Do you recommend cotton pad or q tip if I have trouble peeling it off?

Eyelash adhesive is very similar in composition to rubber cement (WARNING: NEVER use rubber cement to attach false eyelashes!!!).

You've probably used rubber cement at some point - it's used to temporarily or permanently bond together two pieces of paper/cardboard.

For a temporary bond, the rubber cement is applied to the back of the piece you may want to remove later. The rubber cement is allowed to dry until tacky, then the piece is applied to the background paper, adhesive-side down. Later on, that piece may be peeled off and the rubber cement will come with it, leaving behind a clean background. For permanently bonding paper, the rubber cement is applied to both surfaces, let dry until tacky, then pressed together.

Eyelash adhesive works the same way. You apply the adhesive to the band of the eyelash strip, let dry until tacky (how long this takes depends upon how much adhesive you apply and the relative humidity in the room), then apply the lashes to your eyelid. Optimally, the adhesive should be dry enough so that you get an instant bond with no leakage of the adhesive (this is tricky, though!).

If you consistently end up with adhesive oozing out from under the band when you place the lashes, and/or are able to move the lashes around when applying them, you are either applying too much adhesive, not allowing it to dry long enough, or both. This can lead to your losing some of your natural lashes, because if the wet adhesive seeps onto them and dries, those lashes can be pulled out when you remove the false lashes. (Follow Zadidoll's instructions for removing false lashes, above).

When applied correctly, when you remove the lashes ALL the adhesive should go with them, and there should be no residue left on your eyelids/lashes.

In most of the videos I've seen, the individual has not waited long enough for the adhesive to dry before applying the lashes. You really have to experiment with this - it takes longer than you think! Work on consistency with the amount of adhesive you apply, and observe changes in color/opacity of the adhesive as it's drying so that you learn to recognize what it looks like when it has dried to the "tacky" stage.

Eyelash adhesive is very similar in composition to rubber cement (WARNING: NEVER use rubber cement to attach false eyelashes!!!).

You've probably used rubber cement at some point - it's used to temporarily or permanently bond together two pieces of paper/cardboard.

For a temporary bond, the rubber cement is applied to the back of the piece you may want to remove later. The rubber cement is allowed to dry until tacky, then the piece is applied to the background paper, adhesive-side down. Later on, that piece may be peeled off and the rubber cement will come with it, leaving behind a clean background. For permanently bonding paper, the rubber cement is applied to both surfaces, let dry until tacky, then pressed together.

Eyelash adhesive works the same way. You apply the adhesive to the band of the eyelash strip, let dry until tacky (how long this takes depends upon how much adhesive you apply and the relative humidity in the room), then apply the lashes to your eyelid. Optimally, the adhesive should be dry enough so that you get an instant bond with no leakage of the adhesive (this is tricky, though!).

If you consistently end up with adhesive oozing out from under the band when you place the lashes, and/or are able to move the lashes around when applying them, you are either applying too much adhesive, not allowing it to dry long enough, or both. This can lead to your losing some of your natural lashes, because if the wet adhesive seeps onto them and dries, those lashes can be pulled out when you remove the false lashes. (Follow Zadidoll's instructions for removing false lashes, above).

When applied correctly, when you remove the lashes ALL the adhesive should go with them, and there should be no residue left on your eyelids/lashes.

In most of the videos I've seen, the individual has not waited long enough for the adhesive to dry before applying the lashes. You really have to experiment with this - it takes longer than you think! Work on consistency with the amount of adhesive you apply, and observe changes in color/opacity of the adhesive as it's drying so that you learn to recognize what it looks like when it has dried to the "tacky" stage.
How can I tell when it's at the tacky stage? Also do you mean if glue is still wet and if I apply, the natural lashes will come off even if I use make up remover?

How can I tell when it's at the tacky stage? Also do you mean if the glue is still wet and if I apply, the natural lashes will come off even if I use makeup remover?
It comes from experience...personally, I think it's easier to see with the adhesive that dries clear, as opposed to the dark one. When it's wet, it's opaque. When it's completely dry, it's clear. The "tacky" stage is when the adhesive is translucent. You can always practice with an old pair of lashes on the back of your hand. Apply the adhesive, wait about 30 seconds. Apply to the back of your hand. Are you getting an immediate bond? Is excess adhesive oozing out from under the band? If so, wait until the adhesive dries completely, peel it off the band, and try again - this time, using a bit less adhesive and waiting a bit longer before you apply the lashes to the back of your hand.

I didn't mean to imply if you follow Zadidoll's removal suggestions you will rip out your natural lashes. ;)But, that method is more time-consuming than if you're simply able to gently peel the lashes off, which you can do if you've applied them correctly to begin with (correct amount of adhesive, and allowing it to dry to tacky stage before laying the lashes down on your eyelid).

Practice makes perfect. I wear false lashes every day (due to a little accident I had with a sunlamp when I was a teenager - nobody told me to wear googles... I ended up burning my eyelids and apparently damaged the lash follicles...causing sections of my lashes to fall out, never to grow again).

BTW, really good "practice" lashes are the "Dramatic" lashes made by E.L.F. 1.00 a pair! They have a nice flexible band (which helps make them easier to apply) and while the lashes are long, they aren't terribly dense and I think, look pretty natural. I usually get 5-6 wears out of one pair if I take good care of them....

I'm wearing them in my avatar pic (and if my bangs weren't so darn long, you might even be able to see them!)

I have the MAC lashes #35. So do I wait about 20-30 seconds then practice on the back of my hand? Also if it accidentally gets glue/band on my natural lashes, do I use cotton pads with make up remover? I just want to doubly check with you guys because I had bad experience before when removing it. It was painful and some of my natural lashes came off.

It comes from experience...personally, I think it's easier to see with the adhesive that dries clear, as opposed to the dark one. When it's wet, it's opaque. When it's completely dry, it's clear. The "tacky" stage is when the adhesive is translucent. You can always practice with an old pair of lashes on the back of your hand. Apply the adhesive, wait about 30 seconds. Apply to the back of your hand. Are you getting an immediate bond? Is excess adhesive oozing out from under the band? If so, wait until the adhesive dries completely, peel it off the band, and try again - this time, using a bit less adhesive and waiting a bit longer before you apply the lashes to the back of your hand.

I didn't mean to imply if you follow Zadidoll's removal suggestions you will rip out your natural lashes. ;)But, that method is more time-consuming than if you're simply able to gently peel the lashes off, which you can do if you've applied them correctly to begin with (correct amount of adhesive, and allowing it to dry to tacky stage before laying the lashes down on your eyelid).

Practice makes perfect. I wear false lashes every day (due to a little accident I had with a sunlamp when I was a teenager - nobody told me to wear googles... I ended up burning my eyelids and apparently damaged the lash follicles...causing sections of my lashes to fall out, never to grow again).

BTW, really good "practice" lashes are the "Dramatic" lashes made by E.L.F. 1.00 a pair! They have a nice flexible band (which helps make them easier to apply) and while the lashes are long, they aren't terribly dense and I think, look pretty natural. I usually get 5-6 wears out of one pair if I take good care of them....

I'm wearing them in my avatar pic (and if my bangs weren't so darn long, you might even be able to see them!)
Also which glue would you recommend for beginners?

Also which glue would you recommend for beginners?
I usually use Duo Eyelash Adhesive. For a while, I thought I had developed an allergy to latex adhesive, so I tried a Revlon non-latex adhesive, but I didn't care for it because I found it extremely difficult to remove from the lashes. When you're wearing lashes almost every day, you want to resuse them multiple times, believe me!

The Duo Eyelash Adhesive is sold in both "Clear" and "Dark." I use the dark all the time now, but I think the clear is easier for beginners because its easier to see (IMO) it change from opaque to clear as it dries.

I usually use Duo Eyelash Adhesive. For a while, I thought I had developed an allergy to latex adhesive, so I tried a Revlon non-latex adhesive, but I didn't care for it because I found it extremely difficult to remove from the lashes. When you're wearing lashes almost every day, you want to resuse them multiple times, believe me!

The Duo Eyelash Adhesive is sold in both "Clear" and "Dark." I use the dark all the time now, but I think the clear is easier for beginners because its easier to see (IMO) it change from opaque to clear as it dries.
Duo also has a latex-free version. It comes in the green packaging.

I bought Revlon Precision Lash Adhesive in clear couple days ago :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> do you mean this glue is difficult to remove? I have not used it yet

I bought Revlon Precision Lash Adhesive in clear couple days ago :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> do you mean this glue is difficult to remove? I have not used it yet
I found it difficult to remove from the false lashes; not my eyelids.

With the Duo latex adhesive, generally I can easily peel off the old adhesive from the band of the lashes after I remove them. But that was challenging with the Revlon Precision non-latex adhesive.

Once I realized I am NOT allergic to latex, I switched back to the Duo Eyelash Adhesive for that reason.

Just as a clarification, I wanted to explain something in the post above in which I mentioned the similarities between false eyelash adhesive and rubber cement.

The reason for the comparison is because with both types of adhesive, you always apply the adhesive to the piece you want to later remove, NOT the piece you want to remove it FROM.

That is why applying false eyelash adhesive to your eyelids is a really. bad. idea.

If you do, when you peel the lashes off later, the adhesive will remain stuck to your eyelids. (Not to mention you risk getting the adhesive in your eyes and/or on your natural lashes).

In any case, it's going to be difficult to get that glue off.

If you're thinking about trying this "new technique," just don't. Really.

Latest posts

Back