Days 21-30 of the 100 No Buy Challenge

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kawaiisofoxy

Indie Ingenue
Reaction score
Hi all!

Due to a technical issue, the original thread has been deleted.  We're working to see if it can be restored (and will merge the two if it can be restored), but for now, here's the new 21-30 days thread!  Feel free to post updates, confessions, and success stories here!

I have done all of my goals for the ten days (nails, mask, use my old Epilady) except for the couponing - family member too busy to purchase the Sunday paper, and I do not wish to buy one. Probably a good thing. 

I did talk to a credit counselor yesterday, and I filled out a form for another credit counseling place today. I am looking at a debt management plan. I printed all the data I put in the online application today, and now I have a clearer idea about my debt. This felt great. 

I went through a drawer of hoarded paper (I have a huge problem with paper hoarding) and I found some decorative stickers. I used them to decorate the Glossyboxes, Birchboxes, Sample Society boxes, etc., in which I keep all my stuff, organized by product type. I also found some pretty orange tissue paper and used it to line my serum box. What was really interesting was when I found some journal pages where I was attempting no buys (without success). Some were from November 2012, and I was trying to create an apricot eye look to copy something I saw at the Dior counter. Some were from last summer, at the height of my Memebox/Korean beauty obsession. I was dying for something called:

History of Whoo Royal Secret Court BB Powder - beauty secret of Korean Empresses. It was super expensive. 

I have a journal for this no buy - they are really fun to look back on. 

I am fighting a big temptation:

Last night I dreamed Beauty Bar had an awesome deal on Sample Society, and I purchased it and had to come on here and post that I did it. So then when I got up I said I think I will look and see what Beauty Bar has. Just out of curiosity. Sure enough, I fell in love with the January Sample Society box, because of the Erno Lazlo Sea Mud Soap and the pretty Zoya pastel polish. I cannot give in to this! I can buy from Beauty Bar in April. They are always selling boxes of past samples. I bought a ton in 2014 and I have not even used them yet. This is a big temptation, though. 

Today is Day 25, so we will be one quarter of the way through after today. Plus, it is almost time to start getting credit card bills with no new charges on them for this past billing cycle. Hang in there everyone; January is a tough month; February will be more fun. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Too bad the original thread got messed up...

Anyway, from what I can remember of my goals, I am still on track--I've polished toenails and fingernails.  I used up my bath sachet (part of my project pan)!  I've only worn eyeshadow two days (and today would be three if I manage to get some paint on my face...) So I still have to work on that.  I can't remember the other mini goals for this section.  

I am struggling with how to use up the various lipsticks I have.  What works for all of you?  Use one at a time until it's gone--I think that would get boring.  Use 2-3 at a time to prevent boredom--but then do the others go bad in a drawer somewhere?  Focus on using up lipsticks or lip glosses first?  I just don't know.

I am struggling with how to use up the various lipsticks I have. What works for all of you? Use one at a time until it's gone--I think that would get boring. Use 2-3 at a time to prevent boredom--but then do the others go bad in a drawer somewhere? Focus on using up lipsticks or lip glosses first? I just don't know.
I have over 120 lipsticks/glosses.  I decided to use at least two of them (one bright red and one nude) once a week each to try to use them up, and other than that, I use whatever color suits my mood that day.  A fair number of mine are sample sizes, thankfully, though there are plenty of full-sized ones in there, too.  Sometimes I'll put a gloss on top of a stain and use two in a day.  I don't worry about expiration dates so much with these; I figure I'll know something is bad when it smells/tastes off.

Too bad the original thread got messed up...

Anyway, from what I can remember of my goals, I am still on track--I've polished toenails and fingernails.  I used up my bath sachet (part of my project pan)!  I've only worn eyeshadow two days (and today would be three if I manage to get some paint on my face...) So I still have to work on that.  I can't remember the other mini goals for this section.  

I am struggling with how to use up the various lipsticks I have.  What works for all of you?  Use one at a time until it's gone--I think that would get boring.  Use 2-3 at a time to prevent boredom--but then do the others go bad in a drawer somewhere?  Focus on using up lipsticks or lip glosses first?  I just don't know.
Usually I pick one to focus on and carry it around everywhere. I wipe it off and reapply after drinking or eating and I wear it when I'm by myself at home too. If I apply several times a day it takes me 2-3 months to use up a lipstick or gloss. Sometimes I wear one during the day and then rotate my others in the evening to prevent boredom. I also try lipstick and gloss combos to keep it interesting. If you apply once a day it could take 6-12 months each.. multiply that by how many lipsticks you have and you can see how long it would take you to use up what you have. It all kind of depends on how you feel about it. For me personally I can't see the point of using up something you don't like while your favorite products are sitting in a drawer getting older and potentially expiring, so I regularly get rid of ones I don't enjoy using. I also really cut down on how many I purchase so I don't have more coming in than are getting used up. Now that my stash is smaller (I think I still have about 16), it's more managable.. but I'd still like to cut that in about half so I can regularly use up and replace them all within 2 years so my stash always stays fresh.

Aww dangit, I remembered to write down my goals for the last 10 days, but didn't write these down. I think I remember them though. I'm on track. Mostly. I've bought a few things that weren't allowed, but I'm putting much more emphasis on using my stash, so I feel good about getting through what I've already got.

Well, life kind of rained on my exception parade this weekend. 

My paychecks are supposed to come on Thursday so I can deposit them & have the $$ available on Friday. This weekend was/is the Fortune Cookie Soap GoT Collection release and the Haus of Gloi Valentine's Day release, both of which were exceptions for my no-buy.
Well, my check came on Saturday instead and I missed the cutoff so my check won't available to spend until Tuesday now. AKA no shopping for me! I think they'll be restock so it's not a huge deal, but kind of a bummer!

But, oh well! Aside from that the no-buy is going pretty well. My only slip up was a small order this week and technically it was LE so that's within my rules. 

No football today, so I'm working on organizing my makeup room more! :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> New containers to fill!

No football today?  I thought Facebook was kinda quiet...  :lol:

I'll put up what I remember of my goals and current progress:

1) Re-clean dining room (it was the first room I got clean, and then it re-cluttered!)  DONE.  There are a few things on the table still, but they're waiting to be mailed. There's a current homework station for my son right now as well (will be moved to either the office or breakfast nook table as I work out all the organizational stuff!).

2) Master Bedroom:  *Almost* done!  I just have to clean off my husband's nightstand and I'll be done!  Oh and vacuum, that would help.  I wish I had more $ right now to redecorate (we don't have a set of furniture in there, it's all mismatched pieces from other rooms!), but I'm going to try to keep it *at least* clean.  Not quite the calm oasis-like retreat I was hoping for, but it's a start!

3) Spare Bedroom & Closet: (carryover from last time) UGH.  If anything, it's gotten worse from putting stuff in there while cleaning the master bedroom!  Definitely need to power through it this week!

4) Study for GRE:  DONE (and ongoing!) - I've been kicking some vocab booty on the Magoosh app!  Of course, I picked the thing that's easiest for me to start with.  We'll see how well I do when I move on to math!  Going to try to finish out this vocab app in this 10 days and start on Math next time!

5) Linen Closet:  Haven't even started it.  BUT, I have plans in place, I repurposed organizers from another place in the house, so I don't even have to spend any more money!  Plus I have a fun craft project to do on the organizers before putting them in place, so I'm excited!

Progress:  2/5 done, with another goal *almost* done.  Doing well on maintaining what has already been accomplished (closet/master bath/dining room/my office), which is even more of a miracle than getting things clean in the first place!

So while the thread was down I interpreted that as a sign there was no evidence I was on a no buy and I cracked. I bought the UD Vice Ltd. that was released on Ulta today. However, this forced me to give a niece 2 smaller palettes I was pretending to like and didn't. She is 13 and they weren't very pigmented so it's perfect for her to learn with. She doesn't live close so I'm not there to teach her but at 13 it's about having fun with it. So in fairness I decluttered for its arrival and its already on its way to her.

I think I remember my goals, so I'll try an update, since we're halfway through this set. (Also 25 days, wow! I can't wrap my head around the fact that it's 1/4 done!)

1) Apply to 5 jobs. Not yet, but I do have a list of about 10 that I want to apply for, so I can make good progress in the next 5 days.

2) Stretch 5 times. 2 down out of 5!

3) Resist temptation! I had 2 circumstances where i was tempted that I detailed, and I did give into one of them, but waited until i was within the rules I set for myself, so I call it a win!  And now the other temptation seems less strong, so double-win!

4) Pick up around the apartment every evening for 5-10 minutes.  Successful so far!

ETA: Forgot a goal

Big hugs @@numbersmom !  The thread is BACK ON and so is the no-buy!  Sounds like you did a good job of following your rules and eliminating more than you brought home, great job on that!

Also, it's looking less and less like we can restore the old thread. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  I am SO SORRY, we've managed to fix the issue that caused it, but haven't been able to restore affected threads.  Hopefully everyone can still remember their goals!

And thanks to @@Suzaqu for the reminder!  WE ARE 1/4 DONE!!!! 25% through!  We've been tempted, we've resisted, we've fallen down and had a few skinned knees, but we are all doing so much better than we were!  I'm proud of all of us, WE CAN DO THIS!!!

Had no actual goals for days 21-30, but after my little birthday exception to the no-buy, I'm back on the horse. One thing I managed to do was get my vanity dusted and cleaned up a bit, and it's surprising how much change a little wood polish and duster can do to make me feel a lot more excited to sit down and get ready in the morning. 

I also went through a week ago and totally emptied out my closet, then picked about 30 pieces of clothing/shoes/jewelry after having learned about project333 and the capsule wardrobe. It's amazing how, when my options are limited, somehow my outfits get more polished and fun. I've received non stop compliments about my outfits, which is hilarious because these people have seen those same clothing items over and over without commenting, but when paired differently to complement my figure, everyone notices. since my clothes are now mostly neutral or grey/black, it has allowed me a whole lotta room to go experiment with the makeup...bold eyes or bold cheeks or bold lips. Pretty fun. I think I will take this idea of a capsule wardrobe into spring and re-do it once the weather warms up. 

EDIT: I'm with you @ ! Maintaining the tidiness is 10x harder than cleaning in the first place. That's what I'm also working on. 

I fell off my working out bandwagon, it's just something I seriously struggle with, so for the next 10 days I'll give it a hard try again. x-x. I'll also try to start organizing other areas of the home like i did my vanity and closet... it just makes everything much more pleasant. And of course, as always, no spending money. that's the first rule of the game! 

@ February is going to be my month. I figured out a few triggers to stay away from and will manage them better. Thanks for all the encouragement along the way!

I think my goals were

1) no buy... Blew it

2) 2 facial masks... I'll do one tonight

3) work out 3 times... Ran once this week

4) stay out of enablers thread... Success

5) family game night on next 2 Fridays... We did Saturday afternoon teaching my 8yo Clue, and had a blast!

6) I think paint my nails once... Not done yet

I have a lot left to do this week!

Hey, if the old thread disappeared, did my slip up disappear as well, lol? My plan of withholding items pending working out worked - one workout done!

I've been fighting some strong urges but still holding on. I did purchase some replacement tems, which is allowed. I think with the Valentine's Day releases passing there will be less temptation for me. Or so I hope!

I went through my budget today, and I am on track with staying within my budget! Now, I just need to find the motivation to move onto organization projects.

Let's see if I remember my goals, lol...

1) Organize linen closet (DONE!)

2) Eat Clean

3) Walk 5 days/week

4) No new subs (I can't remember if this was on there or not, but it's always a temptation, so I'll put it on here now).

5) Facial mask at least twice

6) Get clothes/accessories ready the night before so as to make the morning rush out the door much easier.

7) No buy on everything H & B (well, except for what I spent at FCS already - but as I confessed to that already and purged to make up for it...we're pretending it didn't happen, lol).

I'm not sure if that was exactly what I had originally, but it works for me.

ETA - Just remembered another goal I had written down - take care of my hands by using lotion every time I wash my hands.

I think my goals were:

• Use at least 3 face masks: 2 down!
  • Finish at least 1 sample in the shower: Still not done, those pesky things are taking forever!
  • Throw away at least 5 times: DONE! 14 things, in the trash
  • Something about 3 or 4 empties or something?: 3 empties so far!
  • And probably something about organizing my skincare, which got done, but I still haven't added expiration dates to my spreadsheet.

I can't remember all of my goals! Here is what I think they were and how I am doing.

Cook meals at home with the exception of one meal out in the 10 days. So far have only eaten out once.

Only drink 2 sodas per week. DONE for last week. I know I can do it this week.

Moisturize feet 5X. I've done it twice.

Make as many empties as I can. So far I have 5 for this section.

Don't buy any cosmetics. Haven't bought any.

Work out 8/10 days. Have done this every day so far for at least a half an hour.

Polish nails at least once. Still need to do this.

Lesson plans completely done for the next week before leaving on Friday. DONE for this week.

Use at least one mask/peel. DONE.

Meal plan/Use up what we've got/Coupon? I can't remember if I had that down this time or not. Anyway, I have, and only spent $62 for a week's worth of groceries for 4 people!

In addition, I cleaned and organized the fridge, freezer, and pantry. I also organized all of the kitchen drawers and my husband's night stand. I also cancelled ALL subscriptions!!

Husband and I also reviewed the credit card totals for all of last year. Yuck! We pay them off every month, but there is still no excuse to be spending that much in the first place. We have been on our savings mission since January 1st, and cut our average per month spending from last year IN HALF for the new credit card statements. I'm very proud of us.

Husband and I also reviewed the credit card totals for all of last year. Yuck! We pay them off every month, but there is still no excuse to be spending that much in the first place. We have been on our savings mission since January 1st, and cut our average per month spending from last year IN HALF for the new credit card statements. I'm very proud of us.
Wow, that's very impressive!  Keep up the great work.

I have over 120 lipsticks/glosses.  I decided to use at least two of them (one bright red and one nude) once a week each to try to use them up, and other than that, I use whatever color suits my mood that day.  A fair number of mine are sample sizes, thankfully, though there are plenty of full-sized ones in there, too.  Sometimes I'll put a gloss on top of a stain and use two in a day.  I don't worry about expiration dates so much with these; I figure I'll know something is bad when it smells/tastes off.
Hmm, yeah I have some samples as well, and was thinking of trying to use those up first, as they wouldn't take as long, and it would be a nice bit of progress.

Usually I pick one to focus on and carry it around everywhere. I wipe it off and reapply after drinking or eating and I wear it when I'm by myself at home too. If I apply several times a day it takes me 2-3 months to use up a lipstick or gloss. Sometimes I wear one during the day and then rotate my others in the evening to prevent boredom. I also try lipstick and gloss combos to keep it interesting. If you apply once a day it could take 6-12 months each.. multiply that by how many lipsticks you have and you can see how long it would take you to use up what you have. It all kind of depends on how you feel about it. For me personally I can't see the point of using up something you don't like while your favorite products are sitting in a drawer getting older and potentially expiring, so I regularly get rid of ones I don't enjoy using. I also really cut down on how many I purchase so I don't have more coming in than are getting used up. Now that my stash is smaller (I think I still have about 16), it's more managable.. but I'd still like to cut that in about half so I can regularly use up and replace them all within 2 years so my stash always stays fresh.
I think I'd ultimately like to have about 10 or so lip products.  I usually forget to apply several times per day, and just do it once.  However, since starting the project pan, I've been carrying around that one lip liner and reapplying 2-3 times per day, and it is helping to get through it.

Thanks, ladies, for your input.  I think my plan will be to use up the lipliner in my project pan, and then to cycle through my stash following the Monday Club (or something similar).  If I hate something, I'll try to make myself toss it , rather than force myself to use it and ignore other things I like better.  But I want to try to use as many as possible--I did buy them after all.

Latest posts

Back