kawaiisofoxy

Days 21-30 of the 100 No Buy Challenge

I am in awe of you with 30 items in your closet. Does this include everything like t-shirts & pjs? Or do the 30 items consist of your work attire?

Thanks! That's sweet of you. <3 It's basically all of my core pieces for everyday, which is a casual/business casual style for work and classes. If you're interested in the numbers, I include 3 pairs of pants, 6 shirts, 6 tanks, and 6 dresses - enough outfits for 12 days. I also have 3 pairs of boots, 3 scarves, and 3 sweaters. I don't count jewelry because I only have a few really special pieces that were gifts and I don't want to limit wearing everything. I also have 1 belt that I wear with a certain dress that I don't count as a separate item. I have 3 bins of clothing items I don't include: underwear/bras and tights/socks (I didn't count but I tend to keep these limited too); workout gear (2 sets of hot yoga clothes, 3 sets of outfits for acro, and one for running), and PJs/lounge wear (3 matching PJ sets, 1 pair of sweatpants, and a few t-shirts). That's it! I have one small clear bin of summer stuff put away right now, and 3 suits and 2 formal dresses in the hall closet for interviews and special events. Plus a few other pieces of outerwear.

Almost everything can be paired with everything else. Lots of neutrals as a base. I really like gray and black, and I throw in accent colors I like on myself, usually navy and dusty purple/wine shades. I also try to add in interest with patterns, textures, and accessories. When I go shopping, I try to fill gaps in my wardrobe. If I find a piece I really like, I try to make sure I can wear it at least 3 different ways with things I already have.

Anyway.. long winded but I hope that helps!!

• Like 2

Love capsule wardrobes! I never have more than 30 items in my closet at one time anymore, I've just got so used to that size from being on Project 333 all the time. When I shop, I have specific items in mind and almost everything can be paired with everything else. Makes getting ready a breeze, and laundry is easier too. Plus, you really do end up looking more put together! So many benefits, iincluding more space to breathe.

I need to check out Project 333 and get started on my capsule wardrobe! I've been wanting to do it for a long time, ever since seeing these types of articles in magazines:

0b4fdf34b0186f69e47be75fd9ef7d16.jpg

hah no kidding! and the capsule wardrobe is changing how I look at my clothes! Though I have to say, I am very different with my closet than I am with makeup -- whereas makeup is an all-shiny-all-day-long love/hate relationship where I buy too much shit and can never make up my mind on what combo to wear (certainly don't have any go-to looks). ...clothes I wear until they basically fall apart, I hate shopping for clothing and I have no problem having a "uniform" of sorts, to the point where my other clothes get neglected. So for me, it has really helped! this is what my closet looks like now:

This was post-clean out. before this, it was PACKED to the freaking brim, shoes everywhere, could not see my bags because they were up higher due to baskets being where the bags are now. Now this is all I have in there (have added two shirts, but that's about it), and it's making changing a breeze...everything goes with everything for the most part, and walking into my side of the closet feels luxurious and I breathe a sigh of relief at how minimal it is. I love it.

If you're interested in the concept of a capsule wardrobe, check out un-fancy.com, the blogger there makes some amazing stuff happen with a basically 37 piece wardrobe. 

You guys are an inspiration!

You should also check out Into Mind if you haven't already- she does a lot of articles on capsule wardrobes. Like this one: http://into-mind.com/2012/12/20/building-a-capsule-wardrobe-101/

And this might help too- it's basically what color clothing to buy if the bulk of your clothes are certain colors. For me, that's navy blue and grey. http://into-mind.com/tag/colour-palettes/

It takes hundreds of uses to use up just one lip product, and I don't have the patience to just use one color that many times in a row. I'm taking a different approach.

During my no-buy, I'm trying to use my whole stash and make sure that I'm only keeping things that I really like, and no clutter or dupes. There are too many awesome things (both out there for sale, and right here on my desk) to bother using up a whole tube of a mediocre lipstick. I swatched everything to see if I had dupes, and to see if there were any colors that I just don't like. Now I'm trying to use everything a few times to determine if it deserves to stay.

I like having LOTS of color options, so my goal will never be a small collection. My goal is to have products that I enjoy, and that I use.

I have the same issue. I a few lip colors I thought would be perfect for me but weren't. Now I'm stuck trying to use them up while not loving them, sometimes hating them. I'm having to carry a few at a time because I have to layer them to get the right color.

I do know what the perfect color for me is, but I won't allow myself to buy it until the 100-day no buy is over. It's expensive ($32) but I think it's worth it. I've been trying to find a dupe for it for a long time and had some come close, but not exact matches.

I'll post my goals for Days 21-30 a little later, I'm still working on them, as dopey as that sounds, considering it's day 26!!!

Edited by eastofthesun
  • Like 2

I love project 333! I've done it a few times already and I'm starting to notice that some items never make it into my 33, so I'm expecting to do a purge and will probably put that on one of my next few sets of goals!

If anyone wants to lose a few hours playing around with color pallets, I highly recommend this website. A designer friend showed it to me, and it helps a bunch with generating random colors that still look good! http://coolors.co/ (I hope it's okay to link to this site, I don't think it's a competitor or anything). I'm working on using it to build my color palette in order to be more directed in my clothing purchases once the no-buy is over. 

I think I'll add coming up with a color palette to my goals for this set of 10.

• Like 2

I'm feeling good about the Pay-it-forward part of my no buy.  I mailed out two packages today with items I won't use to people who will enjoy them.  I want to try and do at least one or two of these a month for the duration.  I've been stalking the wishlist portion of everyone's the trade lists. It takes a while but it makes me feel like the no-buy fairy so I'll keep going.  I realized over the holidays that stalking and giving was my favorite part of secret santa so I'm selfishly trying make it last all year!  

• Like 9

They say it takes 21 days to make or break a habit and I guess they're not wrong. Here at day 26, with the blizzard going on over here as well as my new paycheck finally in hand, I started getting very, very twitchy for makeup. In fact, I wandered into Sephora today thinking I would treat myself, just a little something to shake those winter blues. But ultimately I walked out with nothing...I walked through Sephora's aisles and picked a few things up but put them back a few minutes later. I could basically talk myself out of everything. Oh that red lipstain looks so gorgeous! Wait I have 20 million reds in this exact color. Yes but this is a lipstain....I barely have any lipstains! Yeah because they dry my lips out. Okay, well, this peachy pink blush would be stunning this spring! Yeah but it's practically a dupe for Nars Orgasm, Tarte Glisten, MAC Springsheen, and TheBalm Hot Mama blushes that I already own. How about this tub of moisturizer? Surely you need moisturizer given how dry and cold it is! Yeah but I already have half of a giant bottle of Jergens left to finish first. I usually love spring collections but the collections this year at Sephora have been very underwhelming so far. Then again, that just might be a function of having so much makeup that you basically own something similar to everything in these collections. 

So I walked out with nothing. Which was great, and a huge accomplishment, but I can't help feeling a little blah. Makeup used to be a nice little mood booster, particularly in the grey, interminable winter months but I couldn't bring myself to get anything. All I could think of was the guilt I'd feel if I bought anything...so I passed on everything. So little victories! But boo for crappy winter moods. 74 days to go! Over a quarter of the way there!

• Like 13

Hmm...I'll be moving into a much smaller space late this summer. I had no idea capsule wardrobes existed but I'll seriously consider making seasonal ones later this year. Currently I am still participating in a personal experiment where I am working out the value of my clothes/shoes/accessories via cost per wear.

I would be really interested to hear more about your experiment. I'm so interested in things like that.

Brightestbulbinthebox blog has a series on cost per use of makeup and I loved it. Sadly, it seems as though just when I found her awesome blog a couple of months ago, she abandoned it.

@ if your goal is to save money and no buy. You should blog about just that. Post financial tips, free events to go to, saving on expenses, etc. Good luck, I wish you much success for the year!

• Like 2

I'm glad I am currently [email protected]$$ broke, today has been a shop triggery type day. I've been a bad combo of of anxious, depressed, lonely, and frustrated today, which is my usual "perfect storm" conditions to send me on a spending spree.

I didn't buy anything, because like I said, I am completely broke at the moment.I would like to believe that if I had money I would have resisted anyway. Hoping the feelings pass before February 1st, if they don't I'll be here begging y'all for encouraging words.

• Like 6

I love the idea of the capsule wardrobe. I have way too many pieces of clothing. Everybody has inspired me to clean out my wardrobe yesterday, however, I was only able to get rid of four pieces so far. I did fold and hang everything nicely. I need to work on letting go and don't need the mindset that "I will wear this later". 

I would love to do a capsule wardrobe.  I love the idea of getting dressed without a fuss in the morning.  I am going to check out these websites.  You guys are awesome for tips and advice!  

I'm definitely still taking baby steps towards a smaller wardrobe (after all, I did just learn about capsule wardrobes today!), but I took some time tonight while an indie flash sale was going on to go sort through and try on a bunch of dresses.  It helped me avoid the temptation of shopping online AND helped me eliminate more from my closet!  

There are now 7 dresses in the pile to go to the thrift store and 3 still hanging in the closet because I'd like to try to sell them rather than just give them away (One was a too big ModCloth surprise, two are thrift shop finds that fit when I bought them this summer, but then I lost about 10-15 lbs and now they're also too big.  And if I have to give up White House Black Market AND Ann Taylor (not Ann Taylor Loft, BRAND NEW with the $178 price tag still on!) dresses, I'm gonna try to get some of that money back!

And then because I was feeling bad about trying on a bunch of stuff that was ill fitting and just not right for me anymore (silly bubble dress making my booty look big!), I tried on a few dresses that I know make me look AND feel amazing, so I could end my sorting session on a positive note!  I have a fabulous dress that looks like it came straight from the set of Mad Men that is just waiting for warm weather for me to debut it! So now I *do* feel better that I've yet again eliminated items from my closet that I don't absolutely love, and confirmed some pieces that I do love and can't wait to wear!

• Like 11

I applied for another secondary job (the paychecks at my regular job are not coming on a steady basis, which makes my no buy vital right now). I am still working on my Birchbox of skin care foils, by brand. I finished my Fresh and Nude foils, and am starting on Caudalie. 

I have seen new things and a great sub box I want very badly, but I am fighting it. I am trying to tell myself, if it is worth having, it will be around after April 10. 

So far, since January 1, no beauty purchases, bought a new phone on January 1 for a phone job interview because all phones in the house are old and lose their charge very quickly (used credit card and accidentally went over limit), went to movies (I go to movies very, very rarely but I do not bypass the super expensive concessions), bought food and gas (am bad and do eat out and get takeout, not good at grocery shopping and cooking), but no shopping for anything. No new charges except the phone, and no new credit lines opened.  

• Like 2

Sorry for being MIA for a while! I've had finals - well, I still have one left tomorrow, but I'm taking a study break. No purchases in makeup so far, but I have to get some coconut oil soon. I finally figured out that my chicken-skin on my forehead and chest is Keratosis Pilaris and hopefully the coconut oil will do its magic! It'll be so weird not having a gross lumpy bumpy forehead... 
I'm going to go out and get a haircut this week so maybe that'll give my look the refresher I crave! 
Also my FOTD is gonna be wild. Be on the lookout! Lol.

• Like 3

I finally figured out that my chicken-skin on my forehead and chest is Keratosis Pilaris

I have this problem with my upper arms.  Body scrubs (pretty much any kind, I've tried salt/sugar/St. Ives ground apricot pits) and Amlactin lotion have really helped me out.

• Like 3

Sorry for being MIA for a while! I've had finals - well, I still have one left tomorrow, but I'm taking a study break. No purchases in makeup so far, but I have to get some coconut oil soon. I finally figured out that my chicken-skin on my forehead and chest is Keratosis Pilaris and hopefully the coconut oil will do its magic! It'll be so weird not having a gross lumpy bumpy forehead... 

I'm going to go out and get a haircut this week so maybe that'll give my look the refresher I crave! 

Also my FOTD is gonna be wild. Be on the lookout! Lol.

I have this problem with my upper arms.  Body scrubs (pretty much any kind, I've tried salt/sugar/St. Ives ground apricot pits) and Amlactin lotion have really helped me out.

Same here on my upper arms and legs. @@turntrekgodhead careful with coconut oil. It is very comedogenic (Rated 4 on the comedogen scale), and could break you out. If you're looking for an oil to help, I would go with jojoba which is closer to the one we humans produce, or something like argan. 

• Like 1

I'm game for a capsule wardrobe too. It's a clever idea and emphasizes that I should only be wearing clothes I love. Falls in line with my idea that I should only wear makeup I love as well!

• Like 1

My original goals being gone, I am going to take this as an opportunity to adjust them. I have an interview for a PhD program this weekend so no temptation to spend, just a lot of nerves. My only goal for this section (what's left of it) is to not buy makeup or beauty items. Everything else is on the back burner with no guilt until after this interview.

• Like 6

So I'm coming in here at the tail end of days 21-30, but I've been really successful with my no-buy.  Haven't faltered at all, save for my exceptions which were my Birchbox and Julep box (only if it was good, and it was for me!).  Haven't been as successful with organizing my closet but I will give that a go this weekend.  Onward! 

• Like 5

I'm doing pretty well.  I really haven't been tempted.  I do have a hair appointment at Ulta this weekend (you should see my roots, they're terrible) but honestly, their website was always more of a draw than the store, for me, in terms of impulse buys.  Mostly by the time I get done with the hair dye, I just want to get the heck out of there and go on about my day.

I might run out of SPF for my face before the no-buy is up.  I would consider it acceptable to buy that, though.  There is skin cancer (not melanoma, but still...) on both sides of my family so I am trying to wear SPF 30 or higher every day.  If I do run out, I'll probably hit up the Birchbox shop to get something with points and a code for as cheap as possible.  But I'm going to use all my samples and foils before I do that.

Wish I could use chemical sunscreens on my face because I have a ton of those, but some of them give me a rash.  I can deal with a rash on my arms (wear long sleeves and throw the remaining product out) but I don't want one on my face.  So I am saving those for my arms.

• Like 3

I'm bummed about the old thread since I don't 100% remember my goals, but c'est la vie.  

I've been doing well with not buying. I've been doing less well with using stuff up/doing my makeup this week. I've been telling myself my face needs time to breath :P

Not much to report, just wanted to get back in on the thread.  I haven't been getting updates and was like WOW everyone is quiet but now I see the issue :P

• Like 4

I have been doing really well at avoiding temptation.. I think it helped that I spent a few weeks being super sick, then busy catching up on things I neglected while sick. I have done a little "window" shopping online, but not actually purchased anything =D I'll need to make a run to target soon though (out of dryer sheets), so I'll need to hold strong and not make any impulse buys while I'm there.

I haven't been doing as well at using up my stash, but that's mostly because of the sickness related laziness.. just haven't even been bothering with anything outside of the shower and my morning toner/SPF routine. I had been doing really well with putting on eye makeup every day until I got sick, so my project pan has fallen to the wayside. I did finish a travel size toner, leaving me with only ONE open toner now.. yay! I think I'll set a goal for this week to use a face mask.. I spend a few hours a week watching lectures for school online, so i just need to be less lazy and slap one on my face while i do that.

• Like 3