Help!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does anyone else have seborrheic dermatitis on their face? I have flaky skin on my nose, forehead and eyebrows :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I've tried cleansing and moisturising and priming my face before using foundation and concealer but the flaky skin still breaks through and want to be able to actually wear make up.

for really dry, flaky skin... use CeraVe PM Facial Moisturizer. you can get it at target... or walmart. 

it restores the skin barriers and gets rid of those flaky patches of skin. 

i had this problem with my forehead & after one use it went away! i love it. so defiantly try it out!

I haven't been diagnosed but I suspect that I do have it. I have been trying products like crazy the past 6 months or so. The best moisturizer I found was Benefit Total Moisture Cream. I use it at night before I go to bed because it is a very thick cream and I don't feel like it would wear well under makeup. I also exfoliate about every other day with St. Ives Green Tea Scrub. I do get some flakiness in my scalp so I also use Neutrogena T-gel a few times a month and I also apply it to my forehead while I'm shampooing my hair. I notice it's a lot worse if I "forget" to take my makeup off at night. So I would definantly make sure you are cleaning your face properly. I have not gotten rid of it completely but I don't have any problems wearing makeup.

Have you tried coconut oil? I don't have seborrheic dermatitis but have psoriasis and coconut oil internally and externally along with fish oil supplements helped.

Does anyone else have seborrheic dermatitis on their face? I have flaky skin on my nose, forehead and eyebrows :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I've tried cleansing and moisturising and priming my face before using foundation and concealer but the flaky skin still breaks through and want to be able to actually wear make up.
I do have seborrheic dermatitis on my face and I have the same issues. One thing to remember is that seborrhea is NOT dry skin. It looks like dry skin but how my dermatologist explained it is it's not dry skin. It's your skin reacting to yeast and by reacting it flakes. So be careful not to OVER moisturize-don't treat your skin like it's super dry because that won't really help. If you eat a lot of yeast products, you will notice flare ups on your face. Another poster mentioned using CeraVe for moisturizer, I use that as well as that brand's facial cleanser because my doctor recommended it and it helped a TON. Also your doctor can prescribe topical steroid cream for your skin for flare ups and that will calm it down pretty quickly. I find that a mix of using the right cleanser and moisturizer (and if I ever stray from the CeraVe I get flare ups, so I don't mess w/ that skincare regime) and using the topical prescription cream on bad days, I can wear foundation pretty regularly! Some foundations just will always give you problems though-there are so many I can't wear. I've had good luck with Lush's "Jackie Oates" foundation as well as Bare Minerals powder foundation when I don't have flare ups. 

@

I suppose it's possible that I just have dry skin. I haven't made it to the dermatologist yet so I really have no clue. This dry, flaky, and patchy skin is a new thing for me and I feel like it can be pretty bad. I'm really interested to know what you mean by over moisturizing. I had no idea that could ever be a problem. Why exactly would it be bad to "over" moisturize?

@

I suppose it's possible that I just have dry skin. I haven't made it to the dermatologist yet so I really have no clue. This dry, flaky, and patchy skin is a new thing for me and I feel like it can be pretty bad. I'm really interested to know what you mean by over moisturizing. I had no idea that could ever be a problem. Why exactly would it be bad to "over" moisturize?
I'm not sure I can explain it as well as my doctor. Seborrheic dermatitis is a reaction to yeast, and if you keep it moist all the time and don't let it dry it will breed more/react more to yeast. For instance you can get seborrhea on your scalp which I do have, and my doctor asked me not to use conditioner. I used to apply moisturizer all day every day because I thought the flaky skin meant my face was dry, but that wasn't the reason behind it.

If your skin is bothering you and you can't find something that works I recommend seeing a doctor. I suffered for so long and was so self-conscious about my skin but as soon as I saw a dermatologist I sought instant results and I've been a lot happier!

If you have been diagnosed by a dermatologist that you have seborrhoeic dermatitis then you might want to read http://www.patient.co.uk/health/seborrhoeic-dermatitis-leaflet Hope this helps you.   I certainly learnt a great deal about seborrhoeic dermatitis that I did not know before!

Latest posts

Back