TwirlyGirly

Copy & Paste & Quote Issues

It's been a few months since I've posted here, and have replaced my computer in the interim.

Today, I logged in and tried to respond to a couple of posts, and discovered I can no longer copy and paste!

In addition, the quote function isn't working for me....if I try to quote a previous post by hitting the "Quote" button in the lower right-hand corner of a post, my cursor jumps to the "Reply to this post" window, but the text from the post I'm quoting doesn't appear.

If I hit the "Quote" icon in the "Reply to this post" window toolbar, the quote window opens, but then if I highlight the text from a post I wish to quote, copy, and then place my cursor in the quote window of the "Reply to this post" and click "Paste," nothing pastes. This is true whether I use either of the "Paste" icons on the post toolbar, OR the "Paste" icon on my IE toolbar. When I use one of "Paste" icons on the post toolbar, I do get the pop-up asking permission to access my clipboard, and even though I accept, STILL nothing pastes!

I've also tried (just as an experiment) writing something in an email pane (in my email client), copying it, and trying to paste THAT into a reply here, and still nothing.

As a third experiment, I copied text from a website and tried to paste it into a reply window, and nothing happened, yet I could paste that same text into an email.

Is it me? Did something change, and I didn't get the memo?

BTW, my new computer is running Windows 8.1.....(maybe that matters)

TwirlyGirly

Edit: I'm accessing the site using IE 11, and I have turned off my Ad Blocker for Makeup Talk....

Edit: I just discovered I *can* copy & paste text into various fields of my profile...just not into forum posts. Weird!

Edited by TwirlyGirly

@@TwirlyGirly this is usually a cookie/temp internet file issue.  what browser and version are you using?

Make sure you, clear your temp files(cache) and restart your browser.  Also, try alternate browsers as in Internet Explorer E, Firefox and/or Chrome as well just to rule out browser issues '

Check out this topic here as well.

@TwirlyGirly this is usually a cookie/temp internet file issue.  what browser and version are you using?

As mentioned in my OP, WIndows 8.1 and IE 11.

Make sure you, clear your temp files(cache) and restart your browser.

Did that. Didn't help, unfortunately.

Also, try alternate browsers as in Internet Explorer E, Firefox and/or Chrome as well just to rule out browser issues '

And that appears to have been the issue. Initially, I didn't try other browsers as the only browser I had on this new computer was IE 11 (has worked fine for everything else thus far; if it ain't broke.....)

But, as a last resort I did download and install Firefox, and Voila! As long as I access MakeupTalk with Firefox and not IE, I can copy, paste, & quote. (As evidenced by this reply... ;) )

Kind of annoying, though, to have to use a different browser for MT than I am able to use for everything else I do ( I've had this new computer for a month now and this is the first website I've visited that has presented issues for me when accessed with IE, but of course I could easily stumble upon more over the next days/weeks).

Is this the sort of issue you would normally report, so that it can be corrected for other users of IE?

Hi @@TwirlyGirly

Looks like you're correct. I was able to duplicate the NO copy/paste issue with IE 11.  Looks like it's some sort of bug. 

for now, just use chrome or firefox until we can work this out.

thanks for reporting it