Days 31-40 of the 100 Day No Buy Challenge

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I hope no one will mind that I start this thread for us to track our goals and progress through days 31-40.  Looking forward to reading about everyone's successes and triumphs, and also commiserating about the slip-ups!

Very exciting that in a few days we'll be 1/3 of the way through this :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Woo! The last cycle was my first full cycle without a purchase. Even though the last one was planned, it feels good to say that I haven't purchased any cosmetics whatsoever in almost 3 weeks.

Still continuing my goal of getting into the habit of wearing eyeshadow. Last cycle was about 4/10 days I think. Still aiming for 5+. Maybe this will be the one! I also want to do my nails at least once. For purchases, no cosmetics (obviously). But I'm adding on no clothing (last purchase was January 2) and no fragrances (last purchase was January 28). No accessories or shoes either, but I should be okay with that since I haven't purchased any this year. Basically I'm allowed food/entertainment like dinner out with friends. I'm going to work on that category next time though.. that's kind of my one residual area of overspending.

Go team! Let's do ourselves proud this cycle!

Okay so other than my large overarching goal which is simply not to buy anything beauty related, here are the 7 I decided on (I explained in the other thread that I think 7 is a good number for me since that is evidently the number of things an average person can keep in mind at once, and I think it's nice to be able to easily-ish remember your goals):

Makeup/Beauty

1. Wear full makeup 8 of the 10 days.  I think even as much as I love makeup, full makeup all 10 days is not realistic given my current unemployment and the fact that my partner is now living out of the country (I know, I know, we should only wear makeup for ourselves but I can't lie it is nicer when someone other than the grocery store clerk will see it). As well as the fact that I can be kind of lazy. Oh well.

2. My hair is really long and probably one of my better features but until recently I have never done much other than putting it in a ponytail. Recently, I have realized there is a lot of really cool looking stuff you can do with long hair (well, sort of I guess I knew that part) AND that not all of it is really that complicated once you know how.  So I am going to try to keep watching some youtube tutorials about hairstyles, and I am going to make it a goal to do my hair in some actual style other than a plain ponytail 5 of the 10 days.

3. Last time I had a goal to polish my nails 5 times; that was unrealistic.  So I am making it my new goal to Polish my nails 3 times.

4. I want to use up at least 10 beauty items over the course of the week. This can be in the form of empties, including samples, or it can be things like a bath bomb. The only rule is it has to be a beauty or hair or bath product and it has to be gone. It counts if I try a sample or product, hate it, and toss it, but I have to have given it a fair try. Unfortunately, given the size of my stash, 10 things should be totally doable with a bit of mindfulness and planning. In fact depending how it goes I might end up trying for 20, but I will give it a few days and see how it's going.

5. Use at least 3 face masks.

Non-makeup goals

6. Continue to plan out goals for the next year in all areas of my life. I currently have goals set out in 5 of 10 areas but they need to be refined and the other 5 areas also need goals. I also want to make a sort of bucket list, generally, but that can come after.  I don't necessarily want to finish this in these 10 days but I do want to make real progress.

7. Clear out my bedroom and bathroom entirely (minus essentials) in preparation for upcoming move.

Yay!  New 10 Days, New Goals!

1) Continue No-Buy of anything beauty related (makeup/skincare/perfume/nailpolish).  I've only slipped up once so far, and managed to turn 3/4 of what I bought into a gift for someone else, AND I'm adding one thing from my stash to make the gift 4/4!  

2) Continue to use stash!  I've been doing great with using skincare, but I definitely need to do makeup more (even if I'm not doing anything more than picking the kids up from school that day!).  I need to see makeup as more of a fun, relaxing thing.  Plus the more I do it, the better I'll be!  So my current goal is skincare EVERY DAY, makeup at least 5/10 days, and paint my nails at least 3x.

And now for the house!  I'm sticking to 5 total house goals, which worked much better for me in days 21-30.

3) Finish that cursed Spare Bedroom & Closet.  I made great progress this time, and I'm about 80% done.  My goal is to finish it and NOT let it get turned into the upstairs dumping ground anymore!

4) Re-clean kids' room & closet.  The bunk bed drawers are unfortunately not quite enough storage for their winter wardrobes, so I'm going back through and removing any shirts they don't regularly wear (honestly my 5-year-old has a rotating tshirt wardrobe with dinosaurs and superheroes and WILL NOT WEAR anything else without a fight, and I refuse to fight him at 6:30 am every day!).  If they wear it regularly, it can go into the drawers.  If not, I have to find a way to either store it in their closet, or donate it.  There is no reason to keep clothing they don't wear, unless it's a few "dress-up" type outfits that we need occasionally.

5) Sort toyroom.  I do NOT have to clean it yet (next time!  that will be next time!) but I need to go through while the kids are at school and pull out all toys that are way too young for them.  They do not need baby toys hanging around!  All age-appropriate toys will go into 4 bins, and we will rotate the bins every two weeks.  For every toy they bring in, they have to donate one they already have.  If the dog chews up/damages a toy, then it will be thrown away, and not replaced.  They need to learn to take responsibility for leaving stuff where the dog can get it.

6) Living Room:  I've been doing a good job of keeping it "picked up", but there are a few areas (TV stand, end table) that end up as catch-alls for STUFF.  I want to get these areas clear, come up with a plan for storing the boys' video game figurines (Skylanders and Super Smash Bros), TV Remotes, and board games.  Then I'd like to implement a new furniture arrangement!  

7) Husband's side of Office and Closet.  I've gotten mine organized, he comes home tonight, and he's getting his areas organized next week! Muahaha.  I'm listing this as a goal because I'm pretty sure I'll be putting at least a few hours in on this.

Sounds good for now!  Of course, all goals are subject to change, update, or complete abandonment if I deem necessary for my health or sanity! Good luck ladies!  I can't wait to hear what you all have planned!

My goals for this time frame...

1. I'm in a gift exchange, and aside from adding a few finishing touches the gift is coming along nicely. I'd like to have it mailed out (within these 10 days), but I'm still waiting on a few items to arrive, so we'll see if this happens.

2. Start a new craft project (diy gifts from my daughter to my husband for Valentine's Day).

3. I received awesome nail art tools from this past SS Nails exchange, and I plan to master a cute look for Valentine's Day...even if it is just a heart!

4. Continue with healthy cooking for my family.

I don't usually set goals for these.  I just keep trying to use up products, wear eyeshadow to work everyday, etc.

I did buy something today.  But it was on my "allowed" list, because I don't have any equivalent replacements in my stash, and it's something I think is important.  I got a full-sized CoTZ SPF for face.  I try to wear facial sunscreen every day, but I can only use mineral sunscreens on my face (sensitive skin).  This past 10 days, I finished off a sample of this product and was pleased with the results.  Plus, it's cheaper than the Coola equivalent.  I was good, though.  I bought it from Birchbox (free shipping with no minimum because I'm an Ace) and I waited until payday so I could use money from my checking account (i.e., money that I actually have).  Plus I resisted the temptation to add more crap to my cart to get GWPs or use codes.

So, I don't think this is a failure.  I thought about the purchase for several days, too, I didn't just rush out like I would've in the past.  I'm still pleased with how I'm doing.

Can you believe it has already been 30 days? You ladies are Rock Star No Buyers! I'm still too sick to think up any goals for this segment, this flu has me too weak to post a lot here. For now I will just say I want to continue on not buying makeup and beauty items.

Hugs and love to all of you!

My goals:

1.  Continue no-buy of all beauty items unless a replacement is needed. 

2.  Wear makeup every day.

3.  Use a face mask and a hair mask at least once.

4.  Clean around the house.

5.  Write thesis.

6.  Figure out and work on a valentines gift for hubby.  

Weekly Rollover Goals

1. Paint nails.
  2. Use at least 3 new hair products on wash day.
  3. Do a chemical peel once or twice a week.
  4. Cook at least once.
  5. Wear at least 3 different scents a week.
  6. Completely use up at least 5 products or samples during the 10-day period.
Goals for Days 31-40

1. Order eyeglasses to update my look.
  2. Inventory beauty products in Excel.
  3. Organize beauty products in effective manner.
  4. Organize closet/donate more clothes.
  5. Send emails to at least 5 professional contacts I've been meaning to reach out to.
  6. Read three books on my prelim reading list.
  7. Come up with professional goals for this year.
  8. Finish two TV shows (I know this sounds crazy, but I spend so much time online and on forums when I could be completing other things I've been meaning to do).
  9. Begin writing prospectus (this is a HUGE goal).
  10. Start a daily gratitude journal.

1. Seriously.   I need to study more and get caught up on my schoolwork.  

2. I am sure that I will generate my 100th empty and continue to generate more (before day 40).

3. Since I have been ill I need to make sure I am taking good care of myself for the foreseeable future so I don't get sick again.  Lots of fluids, lots of rest...

4. I still need to gather some documents for tax reasons.  That chore still needs to be done since I was ill recently.  This is a legendary pain in the ________ .

5. Continue to declutter & purge things I no longer need from my living space.  

6. Spend money wisely.  

Can you believe it has already been 30 days? You ladies are Rock Star No Buyers! I'm still too sick to think up any goals for this segment, this flu has me too weak to post a lot here. For now I will just say I want to continue on not buying makeup and beauty items.

Hugs and love to all of you!
I hope you feel better soon, Kristine!

My goals for days 31-40 (basically a continuation of past goals in order to form new habits and a couple of new ones added):

1) Continue a successful no-buy. The only thing allowed are replacement products only. I can't think of anything that I can possibly run out of in the next ten days.

2) Continue to eat clean and plan meals.

3) Continue to plan outfits for the work week by Sunday evening.

4) Use a facial mask at least twice

5) Walk at least 7000 steps per day. I've been averaging around 5500 steps. I really want to increase my movement, but I need to be practical as well. If I up it to at least 7000, that seems doable if I set my mind to it.

6) Get in the habit of flossing (I know...ew!) I brush religiously, but I fail at flossing. I do it once in a while and the hygienist (I've gone to her for 16 years now) told me that I need to do better, lol. So my goal is to floss at least once a day (I'll work on making it twice a day in the near future)

7) Organize pantry. I have a busy work schedule for the next few weeks, so I wanted to pick an easier task organization wise. The pantry isn't super big and I can get it done in a couple of hours, I think.

Ok...that's enough for this go around! 

Something I really don't get are when foils for skincare only have enough in them for one use.  How am I supposed to know if something is a HG or  works with my skin after only one use? I can tell I guess if I've had a really awful reaction, but the absence of a really awful reaction isn't exactly enough to make me run out and buy something.

I guess in this case it's a good thing sort of though- another foil bites the dust.

No new goals, just a continuation of old ones:  polish fingernails once in the 10 days, polish toenails once in the 10 days, wear eyeshadow at least 5 days out of 10, continue to use up project pan items.

I am seeing progress on all my project pan stuff, but I've only finished 3 things.   I keep telling myself they do not have to be done by the end of these 10 days, just as long as I keep working on them and finish them up by the end of the no-buy in April.  I like having these 10 day increments, because they make the time go so fast, but I also feel pressured to accomplish a lot every 10 days.

Goals for Days 31-40

Pack up and ship one more box of returns of some things purchased with retail credit card in December, in order to get refund on card. Want to pay off $450 balance by April 10!

Continue working on using up Birchbox filled with skin care foils. 

Use a mask two times, and while mask is on, work on one of the following: 1. Organize one drawer of paper clutter. 2. Vacuum. 

Goals for Days 31-40

1. Wash makeup brushes

2. Drink more tea

3. Post in Empties and Monday Club threads

4. Set up new Project Pan

5. Clean/organize kitchen

100 Day No-Buy Goals

1. Paint nails 2-3x, paint toenails 1x (for each 10 day period)

2. Wear more eyeliner (pencil or dark eyeshadow)

3. Wear eyeshadow even when not going out

4. No-buy

I think these are simple enough goals... I'm going to be studying for exams for the next 2 weeks, so no shopping for me ^_^ /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Ok my goals for this stretch are simple: LIPSTICK.

I have so freaking much, lippies are the area of my collection that needs the most attention, and I need to use them more. Goal is to have THREE lip products (as in products with color in them, not chapstick) in my empties next month. So use lipstick, put it on throughout the day, and CUT DOWN the massive stash of half used lipsticks I'm hording.

Good luck everybody!

Last edited by a moderator:
My goals for the next ten days:

• Complete my capsule wardrobe.
  • Nail polish! My nails have gone undone for a few weeks and I want to pay closer attention to them. 
  • Also, use a mask at least twice. Likely one of those nifty sheet masks or something hydrating. 
My allowed purchases:

• New nude bra to replace the one that wore out. 
  • Day moisturizer with SPF as my current bottle is nearly out. (Only allowed to open after I use up the two tiny sample tubes though!) 

6) Get in the habit of flossing (I know...ew!) I brush religiously, but I fail at flossing. I do it once in a while and the hygienist (I've gone to her for 16 years now) told me that I need to do better, lol. So my goal is to floss at least once a day (I'll work on making it twice a day in the near future)
I also need to step up my flossing frequency, I just haaaaaate doing it.  Even though I am good about brushing my teeth and not drinking sodas I seem to get cavities more often then people with worse dental hygiene.  It's probably something I should focus on during this 10 day period too.

Latest posts

Back