Kat Von D Foundation, Am I Doing This Right?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I've been procrastinating about going to Sephora for a few weeks now but I finally did it today. I've been looking for a replacement for my Bare Minerals powder foundation, I believe I must be allergic to it because it makes my skin itch like crazy and I think it's causing all of my bad breakouts. SO, I went to Sephora, the (very nice, and helpful!) girl that worked there swiped that thing across my face to get my color match (that was awesome!) one of the few things that came up was the Kat Von D liquid foundation in #46, I think it was light with pink undertones, I'm not sure though.

I left there with a sample to try at home, I was told that this was a FULL coverage foundation but when I got home I put some on (with my new beauty blender) and it doesn't cover much of anything. AND it looks a litle cakey. The cakey factor may be because I haven't moisturized my skin in almost 7 hours when I put it on and my face was probably dry from the cold air, but the coverage thing is bothering me. I wanted something to cover my current acne and the scars I have from previous breakouts.

Should I give this another try or go back and sample something else? The other options I had that matched my skin weren't great and didn't fit with what I needed for my skin type.

Is there a certain way (or other products to layer underneath) to apply liquid foundation to get a full coverage/non-cakey look? I've been using powder for almost 7 years now so I'm really not sure what I'm doing. HELP!

Thank you!

I've heard that the Kat Von D foundation is no good for dry skin and I also heard that it dries really fast. I personally have never used it because I have very dry skin and those two factors make me stay away. I know the Georgi Armani Luminous Silk foundation is suppose to be very good for dry skin and will give you more of a dewy finish. I personally like Urban Decay Naked Skin and Makeup Forever HD foundation. I'm also in love with Maybelline Fit Me foundation and it's obviously way cheaper. You could always take it back and ask for a few different samples so you can decide. If you wanted to give it another shot I would definantly use a moisturizer underneath and apply it in small sections.

Hello there,

How are you ? Sorry to hear about your foundation problems.

The simple solution to your problem is this: foundation is a base makeup. Meaning,its purpose is to be applied as a base for other products to be put untop of it so if it is coverage you are looking for, you will keep Piling and piling and it will just end up looking cakey without even giving you that flawless look you want.

Now what do you do? I will tell you in a second. Get a corrector. These are concealers in odd shades like green, orange, purple etc that cancel out blemishes and imperfections on the face.

Next step, get a concealer in the shade of your skin tone.

Another thing I suggest is to get a makeup sponge, either a beauty blender or a normal cosmetic sponge, dampen the sponge before applying foundation and this will help achieve a natural looking coverage So you can completely avoid the cake look. Don't drench the sponge in water. Just wet it a little and squeeze the excess Out.

With powder, you are only supposed to apoly a little bit because powder is for setting makeup, removing excess shine and making makeup last longer throughout the day. You can't pile it on or else it will be cakey again just like with the foundation.

I hope this has helped,

let me know if you have any more questions.

All the best,

Stacey:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the advice, ladies!

So I gave the foundation another shot, this time with moisterizer and primer and it looked flawless. It actually looked better as the day went on, I'm not sure why but hey! I'll take it!

The Bare minerals I was using pretty much destroyed my skin, I'm not 100% certain that BM caused my acne but I'm pretty sure. Since I've quit using BM I've also been using a new face wash/exfoliator/moisterizer combo (they're separate, not all in one). It's by First Aid Beauty and it seems to be working so far. I've had a TON of whiteheads pop up since using it though, I've heard of your skin "purging" when you start to exfoliate more, so maybe that's what's happening (hopefully!). 

I do have another question though, I would like to start trying to contour and highlight. I have a wide nose that I would like to slim a little. What do you y'all recommend for a beginner like me to highlight and contour? I think I would prefer something that is a cream rather than a powder, but I'm open to suggestions!

Thank you!

Thanks for the advice, ladies!

So I gave the foundation another shot, this time with moisterizer and primer and it looked flawless. It actually looked better as the day went on, I'm not sure why but hey! I'll take it!

The Bare minerals I was using pretty much destroyed my skin, I'm not 100% certain that BM caused my acne but I'm pretty sure. Since I've quit using BM I've also been using a new face wash/exfoliator/moisterizer combo (they're separate, not all in one). It's by First Aid Beauty and it seems to be working so far. I've had a TON of whiteheads pop up since using it though, I've heard of your skin "purging" when you start to exfoliate more, so maybe that's what's happening (hopefully!). 

I do have another question though, I would like to start trying to contour and highlight. I have a wide nose that I would like to slim a little. What do you y'all recommend for a beginner like me to highlight and contour? I think I would prefer something that is a cream rather than a powder, but I'm open to suggestions!

Thank you!
You can check out the contour and highlight thread here: https://www.makeuptalk.com/f/topic/132766-contour-and-highlight/ It's a good read with great info.

HTH!  ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Latest posts

Back