Please tell me what i'm doing wrong or right?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello Ladies,

Brand new member here and super excited to have found this board.

I'm turning 41 this year and I just recently got hooked on all things makeup. I'm watching the YouTube tutorials, reading up on all the blogs. I'm trying out the highlighting and contouring (I definitely need more practice in that department!). I started buying up better brushes and better makeup.

Here's my issue...I'm seeing more and more lines and wrinkles. I've noticed that my cheeks are not where they were a few years ago. I'm noticing some jowls going on :(

I wear medium coverage foundation and concealer under my eyes.

Anyways, I've attached 2 pictures. Please tell me if I'm doing something wrong with my makeup. I can't seem to get my blush down right. Am I using the correct colors for eyes, cheeks, lips? Anything I should do or not do?

In the picture with the stripes, I tried highlighting and contouring (Pic is outdoors). The other pic is at work (indoor lights)

I won't be offended. Please tell me your opinions....

Thanks,

Ninel

IMG_4875.JPG

IMG_4909.JPG

You look beautiful in both! I would say you look more "youthful" (if that is the look you are looking for) in the outside picture versus the inside but that could be because of the lighting. I really like the colors on the outside picture better than the inside picture but again it could be because of the lighting. Also your eyes look beautiful but I prefer the outside picture again because of the colors and the way you applied the eye shadow. Beautiful! Also your lip color is great, "your lips but better look". I would say you are doing all the right things.  :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20"> 

I'm having a similar problem as well with fine lines and deeper wrinkles and I found that foundation primer helps to "smooth" the skin and make the fine lines disappear temporarily. Also the primer helps with the foundation staying longer. I like using a highlighting pen before powder on both sides of my cheeks down from the nose to "lift" the cheek area a little bit. I just use the highlighter and blend and use powder on top. Sometimes I like to use highlighting powder on the forehead and on the cheeks, on top of the cheek bones to "lift" the area. I've also found that skin care is the key for my skin looking more youthful with makeup. I use anti-aging serums under moisturizer and foundation to try and prevent other lines from forming.

Hope others can join in here with their thoughts as well. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20">

Hello Ninel,

How do you do? Congratulations on turning 41! I think 41 is a brilliant age.

First of, you are very beautiful and you look very beautiful in both pictures.

Now, for your cheeks, best trick is to use a darker colour than your skin tone 'underneath your cheekbone'to sculpt and lift those beautiful cheeks. The trick is to pretend as if your drinking with a straw and pull( or suck) in your 'pretend drink' really hard. Look in the mirror and notice the hollow or deep pocket in your cheeks. That hollow is where the dark colour should be. Remember to blend properly. This colour should only be one or two shades darker than your skin tone. Don't go too dark. Three shades maximum. You can use a cream product, liquid or powder.

The trick with blush is this, after dipping your brush in the blush powder, don't apply it immediately to your cheeks, dust the excess off before dusting it on your cheeks. Also, when collecting the blush, dip only once or twice. More than that is too much. Another thing is to try a darker shade of pink than the one in your picture. I can't tell completely what skin tone you are but I am guessing a bit in the olive family so that pink might be too light for you. And to apply blush, smile and dust a little on the apple(middle) of your cheeks. Start off with very very little and then add more if you please. A little really does go a long way.

You should use a dark brown colour on your eyebrows not black. Never use black as this makes the brows overshadow the rest of your face.

The eyeshadow you use is alright but the only problem is that everything else on your face is pink so it's too much pink everywhere which is making you look washed out. Try not to match your shadows with your blush and lips especially when using this shade. Also,experiment with dark eyeshadows as well just don't use too much. Don't use the white liner on your under eyes when using that shade of pink. It's too much brightness and this might make your wrinkles stand out more or appear more obvious.

With your lips, try filling them in with the liner. So basically after lining the outer corners of your lips, line the whole lips as well and blend properly. If you apply lipstick untop of this, place a tissue in between your lips and smack them on the tissue to blot out excess.

The best advice I can give you concerning wrinkles is this: drink more water, eat healthy, exercise more and see a dermatologist. I promise you won't regret it. Tell him or her whatever is bothering you and they will give you what you need for whatever issues be it wrinkles or anything else you might not like.

I hope this has been helpful.

let me know if you have any more questions.

All the best,

Stacey:)

Gosh--after those two great replies there isn't much left to be said!  You look beautiful in both pictures, but I have to agree that you look best in the outdoor picture.  My guess is the indoor picture used a flash which not only washes out the face but also REALLY highlights any and everything you might not want to see (I actually placed a post on here asking how so many people take such great selfies!). 

You can always cheat mother nature with some contouring tricks, but I can't imagine why you would do that. You have a very nice facial shape, no noticably sagging skin, your tear trough isn't noticable (dark circles under your eyes from loss of fatty tissue) and so-on. 

Good luck, and post back results as you continue to experiment!

Back