Leggings and Skirt?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm trying to piece together a casual outfit, and my plan is to wear leggings, a short skirt and a fitted top.  I've browsed online, and although I have found similar outfits on Pinterest and such, on some sites I've seen people post that you should NEVER wear leggings with skirts, that if you wear a skirt it should be fitted and so-on.  My plan was to wear a mildly flared skirt with the leggings and a ribbed turtleneck top.  Is this a fashion faux pas?  Any other suggestions?  What about shoes?  Given the wintry motif of the outfit, should I wear boots, or in the very least ankle boots?

I wear leggings with all kinds of skirts all the time and I've never been told it's a "faux pas" or anything so I say go for it! I would wear boots or booties also :)

Thanks, Trainee!!  Sorry it has taken me so long to reply... it's been a busy day (and week, for that matter!).  Is there a month/date/time where leggings are phased out for the year, much like white used to be a no-no after Labor Day?

Yeah, that is one of my go-to looks this winter (fleece leggings and sweater tights ftw! so cozy!) I haven't heard anything but compliments, but then again, my fashion advice tends to be 'focus on what feels and looks best on you, not what others think you should be wearing.'

I will say that patterned tights should be worn with solids in only one or two shades so as not to be too 'busy', and I personally think that goes for textures with patterns, too. I have some cable-knit tights and I try to not wear them with anything but complimentary cable-knit sweaters (no popcorn knit sweater or houndstooth blazer with those, for example)

Thank you both for your input.  :)  It's a lot different for me, I suppose, in that I do want to wear something that blends more than stands out.  My penchant is for very feminine clothing, and the "dressier" the better.  I've never really dabbled in the day-to-day wear of women, other than loungewear (fleece pajama bottoms and so-on), and as I venture out a bit here-and-there I want to wear more casual yet fashionable outfits.  Leggings are an easy thumbs up for me as I don't care to keep my legs shaved (I spend 99.9% of my time in male mode, so I take the easy way out...LOL!).

A couple of other questions on tights.  Do you typically try to match the leggings somehwat with the skirt and/or the shirt?  I only have black leggings and planned to wear a black skirt, but if I decide to change things up a little is there a typical way to wear them?  I assume with patterned leggings you want more of a solid top and/or skirt?

One big question I have is about lace overlays.  I have several skirts that are one color, but they have lace overlays.  Can you wear a patterned shirt with a skirt that is one color but has a lace overlay?

I use tights with all sorts of dresses at all times and I've never learned it's a "faux pas" or anything so I say go for it! I would use shoes or butts also

Last edited by a moderator:
You can wear leggings with skirts, it is just a myth that it doesn't look good. You should always wear clothes which can make you feel comfortable. Some fashion bloggers are good whereas some just post random stuff. 

Leggings can be worn in many ways, one of which is a combination with a skirt. You may be wondering how to wear leggings with a skirt to make it look good and your outfit has a puff. Long leggings can be completed with a narrow casing skirt, creating a simple yet elegant outfit where you can go to a meeting or work. On the other hand, you can put on a skirt of an A-style cut to the leggings reaching to the calves, it will look wonderful. I think High heels better than boots on them

Latest posts

Back