Days 41-50 of the 100 Day No Buy Challenge

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I could not wait to start a new thread - a new 10 day segment starts tomorrow! 

My goals and little plans:

1. Use tax refund to get ahead on a bill. 

2. Keep having a good time using up my samples. During this 10 day period, I foresee myself finishing all my shampoo and face cleanser foils, and moving on to my travel size samples of those products, which I have gathered together in a case. I still have plenty of face cream, hair treatment, and body care foils to get through.

Optional goal: if I get to go out during this period, I may do my nails again, and experiment with more makeup products (brows, eyeliner, lip liner, cheek highlighter) and looks. 

I'm having fun with this project, and it inspired me to think how much more I might have spent and wasted if I had not been on it for the past 40 days. Last winter, I bought quite a bit. I recall purchasing items from the Lancome "French Ballerina" Spring Collection. I got a bright white nail base, sort of a primer for nails meant to make nail color look better. It was a disaster for me. I'm not good at doing my nails, and they always chip. When the bright pink Jolie Rosalie polish began to chip, the stark white showed through, and my nails looked more a mess than ever. I only used the white polish once. I think I threw it out - but I should have kept it and used it up, because later that summer I saw ads for stark white polishes, the current trend. I purchased a bottle from Cult - I could have used the French Ballerina bottle instead. 

Hey good idea on using the tax refund!

I can't do my taxes yet, I'm still waiting on a few W2 forms. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Also, I'm not sure exactly how to work on them since I got divorced mid-year. I might have to get some help this year... hope not though, I don't want to spend money on doing taxes.

My goals this segment of 10 days are going to be:

1. Manicure my nails 2 times

2. Use up at least 10 products

3. Make a beauty schedule to check off (still haven't done this, Edith, but I'll share it with you when I finish!)

4. Get 8 hours of sleep a night every night. (I feel this is important for both beauty and no-buy, because I'll have better willpower if I'm not stressed and tired.)

5. Medidate once a day every day for 5 minutes.

I'm doing a 30 day no buy with myself, and would love to jump on this group to stay motivated. Along with the No buy, I have a list of 10 full size items to use up.  Now I'm tempted to add in foil packs and samples to bump that to 30 items in 30 days.  I will assess what is needed at the end of 30 days and start again for 30 and 30 more.  Hoping this will get me out of the 'I want it- so I buy' it routine.  Thanks for the support!

Glad you are joining! It's easier and more fun as a group. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20"> I'm doing a modified no buy. My exception to no buy are subscription services/boxes.  I was on full no buy since Christmas until very recently. (I've bought a few things since no buy but nothing near I did before no buy) Now I'm very conscious about buying and I'm using the mind set of "I'm going to use up a sample of this before I buy more" and that is really helping plus I'm discovering fun new products in the process. Like you, I'm getting away from "I want it so I buy it" attitude and thinking it through before I buy. I've made huge progress and want to keep it going. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20">

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Reija,

How many items have you used up?  I have found already that it's easier to use something up if you really focus on it- instead of having 5 opened lotions- I am focusing on ONE- and I just finished it today.  On to the next one!  I have about 5 foundations opened as well, so I'm focusing on one to finish up first - could be this week.  I have also allowed myself to keep my Julep monthly (or skip if I'm not interested) and can rebuy a need- such as eye cream. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I've used up 6 samples so far, 1 foundation, and close to finishing up 1 bb cream. I started using eye shadows I had but didn't even remember I had. It's been fun experimenting. I have the same problem of having several open lotions etc. Need to focus on using up one at a time for those. For makeup I just use different things every day because if I tried using them up one at a time, it would take a life time.  :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20"> Although the amount of samples and containers of skin care I have it's almost the same but there at least is an end in sight.  During the no buy I didn't use up much samples. I should have. It would have made my no buy easier. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20"> I was just depressed that I couldn't buy anything so I didn't do anything but the no buy was totally worth it. I love the idea of using samples and that has really re-energized me to stick with not buying as much. I'm really enjoying this sampling and getting rid of stuff as I'm using them up. Makes me feel a lot better. I like seeing the sample or a product go in the trash all used up. The only hard part is if I like the sample of not buying the product right away. I try and make a mental note or use an online wishlist so that I can get the product later if I need when I've used more things up. I thank @@EdithS2 for the ideas of getting foils organized and using them systematically as well as all the tips and support in this topic. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20">

I will assess what is needed at the end of 30 days and start again for 30 and 30 more.  Hoping this will get me out of the 'I want it- so I buy' it routine.  Thanks for the support!
I love this idea. I plan to continue after 100 days so will borrow your plan. I need to be on a no buy for a long, long time. I really think a no buy needs to be my new way of life. So I am learning to enjoy it.

No buy gives me peace of mind. It also allows me to enjoy what I have more than I would have otherwise. I have a lot of debt, and I need to be frugal - but approaching it as a no buy makes being frugal a lot more fun.

At almost halfway through the no buy, my results are that I have paid off one charge card and am ahead on monthly payments - so no more costly late fees when my paycheck is a little late. The longer I am on a no buy, the more the benefits will build up. 

Hi Edith,

I love that you have seen big results- paying off a credit card is huge- but also late fee's!  A $25 late fee makes the $50 pallet $75- EWWW! 

"It also allows me to enjoy what I have"- This is so simple but needs to be a reminder to me!!!

Two weeks since my slip up binge and I am holding strong, have bought nothing. Even if I go to Goodwill with a family member and see something I want for one dollar, I will not get it. 

It feels really good to be in control, to have peace of mind, to make the most of what I have. 

My plans going forward: it will almost be time for the second 50 days of the 100 day challenge. I hope to do even better during the second 50 days than I did during the first 50. Then I can really be happy at Easter! After that I will continue no buy on a month by month basis; it will be my life from now on. From time to time I know I will crack and buy something but then it will be back on the program. 

It feels really good to be in control, to have peace of mind, to make the most of what I have.

Love this!! So happy for you! Keep up the awesome work! so glad you are here sharing your journey inspiring others. You have inspired me for sure.

Summary of the first half of the 100 day no buy:

It was in December that I decided I would join the 100 Day No Buy here, to begin on January 1. In December, my shopping was really out of control. I charged so much at Christmas. I told myself I could buy whatever I wanted, and I would make up for it during the no buy. I also told myself I would be more successful on the no buy if I bought everything I wanted first! This is the way I rationalize getting what I want! Yet I could not wait for the no buy to begin so I could stop feeling guilt and anxiety over my shopping.

Finally it was New Years Eve and midnight, and I was so relieved to be on the no buy. The New Year brought crazy times at work, and my paydays were a little unstable. On the one hand, this made me more motivated to stick to my no buy. On the other hand, my no buy mindset made it easier for me to deal with these little financial setbacks. 

At first I felt no temptations on the no buy. I was burned out from the Christmas season. As the weeks progressed, fresh new releases and pretty GWP promotions came to my attention. I wanted to buy! On Super Bowl Sunday, I gave in. I bought some things. I will not lie - it felt so good to get those things. But it felt even better because I had not bought anything in a month. Buying is even more fun when it is a rare treat.

After this slip I had a major breakthrough, because I was able to stop myself and get right back on the no buy instead of giving up and going back to my old habits, as I had done on no buys in the past. I became more methodical in my system, and put all the new items I had bought when I broke the no buy away unopened, to use for rewards later. I began to laser focus just on using my foil samples, and created a fun routine of taking extra time for myself to use the products in the evening or in the morning before work, while watching old movies.

I also find that I can see something I want very badly, and I obsess over it, but then after a while I forget it. I have become a little reclusive, just wanting to stay home and watch movies and use up my products. I think of this as a time of rest. It is hard to block out all the targeted marketing coming my way. I have to keep unsubbing from emails, keep calling to get off catalog lists. This shows me how shopping leads to more shopping. The more I shop, the more I want, and the more promotions come my way.

Sorry for the long post, but this is so important to me, because I do have a severe problem with out of control shopping for beauty items, credit cards, etc. Beauty products are magic to me and I think I could buy them every day and still want more. So no buy is my lifeline. 

After this slip I had a major breakthrough, because I was able to stop myself and get right back on the no buy instead of giving up and going back to my old habits, as I had done on no buys in the past. I became more methodical in my system, and put all the new items I had bought when I broke the no buy away unopened, to use for rewards later. I began to laser focus just on using my foil samples, and created a fun routine of taking extra time for myself to use the products in the evening or in the morning before work, while watching old movies.
This is so great! So happy for you that you were able to change your ways and be successful at it! It just takes time and is a major commitment but the reward of having things under control is so great. The feeling is like nothing else.

I also find that I can see something I want very badly, and I obsess over it, but then after a while I forget it. I have become a little reclusive, just wanting to stay home and watch movies and use up my products. I think of this as a time of rest. It is hard to block out all the targeted marketing coming my way. I have to keep unsubbing from emails, keep calling to get off catalog lists. This shows me how shopping leads to more shopping. The more I shop, the more I want, and the more promotions come my way.
I think this is true for many people (at least for me) :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20"> The more I shop the more I want. Unsubscribing and avoiding ads is a great way to do it. After doing a no buy after Christmas, I remember the first time I saw something and wanted to buy it so bad but didn't. I remember the feeling of being able to walk away or in this case, click away and not complete the purchase. First I was mad that I couldn't buy it but then I was happy that I didn't buy it and it felt really good to be able to say no I don't need it, I'm not going to buy it. I have so many products that I just need to use up those. I'm so much better for having to go through no buy. It's without a doubt the best thing although the hardest thing that I've done and I've changed my shopping habits as a result.

Keep doing the great work you are doing! So happy for you and thanks for the update!

@@EdithS2

Thank you for the long post- I think those are very normal feelings for most all of us on this journey.  It was nice to see someone else feeling the same way as I am.  I am keeping a list of the items I want to buy when I'm off the no buy and I see my thoughts changing about them.  That after a week or two I don't want them or I like something I already use better or deciding I won't even like the product after a few weeks of seeing reviews.  Keep up the good work. 

PS- I really liked that you put the new items away to use a as a reward!  Good thinking. @@EdithS2

Just found this thread and it must have been fate. I have been totally out of control the last few months buying tons of makeup, hair care, and skin care items. I'm ashamed to admit how much I have spent. My husband thinks I've lost my mind. We keep our money separate so he isn't concerned about my spending, just that I seem to be binge shopping!  I primarily do most of my shopping online, which makes it so easy to spend, spend spend! So I had to admit I have a problem. That's the first step I guess. 

I'm scheduled for surgery next week and will be off work for 6 weeks. I'll only receive 60% of my salary, so in preparation I have had to cut out my awful spending and pay off my credit card. I will spend my time healing by using up and enjoying the products I have. I joined a couple of subscription boxes that were not too expensive and that's going to be it for my spending. It will take forever to use up all this stuff, but I'm going to focus on doing that. 

But now I think I have become a subscription box addict! I keep finding more that I want to try, but I'm just adding them to my list of things I'd like to try in the future. I need to just focus on the ones I have now and use those products and stop looking at what everyone else is getting with different subscriptions. I think this has become my new drug. 

So Edith, just wanted to say thank you for starting this thread and sharing your journey, you have inspired me! All of you ladies joining in are an inspiration and I just want to say keep up with your no spending commitment, you're all awesome!

@@LadyGordon, Welcome! 

it is tough- you will have to stay off the web while healing :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

But it can be done!  I'm dying to shop :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> it's been 2 weeks for me. I allowed myself to keep ONE subscription box, I cannot wait for it to arrive next week!

Shopping is such instant gratification!  I'm trying to use items up and have not had anything to dispose of this week.I know next week I may have several items but it feels more productive when I can use up and toss something every week.

Good luck with your surgery and write here anytime, I know I like the ongoing support to stick with it.

I call my plan "ProjectUseItUp"

:) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

@@LadyGordon I hope your surgery goes well and that you will find your time of no buy very restful and enjoyable. 

I find it helpful to have a sub box during the no buy, so I can get new things without having to shop and be exposed to more temptation! I use the boxes for organizing my products. I have definitely been through the compulsion to get every sub box in the world. I'd sign up for a box, then see another I wanted, cancel some and add others. I recall one time I stayed up all night reading all the sub box spoiler threads on these boards. But with this no buy I told myself I was just allowed to have Glossybox, and I was not allowed to shop around for other boxes. For the first time I have been able to enjoy my sub without worrying that another box may be better. 

I don't think I've failed the 100 Day No-Buy because I'm definitely mindful of not buying anything since after taking inventory of my beauty products and seeing what I have, I know that I don't really need anything. But I could have done better because I did end up buying a good bit of beauty products. I'm not gonna beat myself up over that though because I also ended up returning over $500 worth of unused/barely used old beauty products throughout.

This No Buy helped me to get organized, get rid of products I'm not using, and forced me to dedicate myself to using up products as well as coming up with and sticking with a consistent skincare regimen. No, I haven't been successful at stopping buying beauty products cold turkey, but the challenge has been helpful in so many other ways. It also helped me rediscover my love of wearing nail polish!

Latest posts

Back