Would like some opinions on this look

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, this is more like "FOY" (face of yesterday!), but I would really like some opinions on this look.  I used a pressed powder foundation (Serenity Scott), neutral/bronze eyeshadow and dark pink blush (both come from a Shany makeup kit).  I can post my lipstick color later if anyone is interested (downstairs right now and too lazy to get it!).  It's a very simple and very easy routine... no contouring, etc.

It's always hard to tell when you look at yourself in the mirror, but I feel that my face looks fairly good despite the fact I haven't done much to contour my face.  I think the hair helps (sweeping under my neck), but aside form that, any suggestions on things I can do to give my face a more feminine appearance?  I'm trying to put together a look to actually wear out shopping sometime.  It may not be the *best* look, but I want something that blends and looks natural. 

Thank you for any advice/comments you can give me!  :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks great! I like the lip color. You could maybe play with your eyes a bit more (using more eye shadow) but the look you posted looks great for day time. It's like an effortless day time look.

Thanks!  Eyes are a bit tricky for me.  I've been experimenting with different lights when doing my makeup, and it's pretty incredible (daunting??) how different the makeup looks in different types of light as well as how concentrated and/or diffuse the light is. I usually do my makeup in our master bath, as it actually has makeup light bars.   They are a warm  (and very forgiving) color, and all of the colors on my face look smooth and even.  However, in flourescent and/or LED lighting, eye makeup really stands out.  I'm trying to put together a look that is more "natural" in any light so as not to draw (more) attention.  Esepcially with contouring.  I can make my face look truly amazing with contouring, but with wrong/bright/harsh lighting it begins to look unnatural.  Thus my attempt at a look without contouring.

I've never bothered with photos much before, but since I'm asking/needing advice it's kind of necessary ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />   I've been taking photos in the same room mentioned above, but despite the lighting my pictures always come out dark.  It's odd--the light in the room is bright--VERY bright.  I have to actually brighten the photos most times to see anything much at all.  So...  I'm going to work on some photo space for better pictures.  Hopefully you'll be able to see things a bit better then.

With all of that said (I'm very wordy whether talking or typing!), is there a trick to keeping a makeup look seemingly the same in different lighting?   Most of the makeup I use is free of any shimmer and/or glitter, although there are some shimmery eyeshadows in the palattes.  I try not to use the camera flash for close-ups as it completely washes out everything; I assume because the flash is so close.  I sometimes go without liquid foundation, which helps the light from a flash not wash out the color as much, but if anything a close-up shot is when you need foundation the most! :blink:

I'll keep experimenting, but in the meantime I would love to hear suggestions from anyone/everyone about how to keep a look more-or-less consistent in different lighting.  Thanks!

I'm not sure if this looks any better, but I used an image editing program that uatomatically adjusts pictures kind-of "do its thing" on the above picture.  It just looked way too red.

The colors might show up a *little* better, but I do see where I could use a little more color on my eyes. 

hi @AmberCDinNC  I can't help you on the lighting issues (been dealing with it for years, I leave the house thinking - yeah, looks great - and then I see myself in the rearview window of my car - and it is omg, my blush is too dark!! haha)

however, I want to say - you have great lips - very beautiful and sensual.  Also, with your deep set eyes, maybe a little more mascara?  I know you want to keep this natural, but I think that you could add some darker mascara to really play off those lovely blue eyes of yours.

Thank you, biancardi!  I have no idea why, but I'm just not a fan of mascara.  From a distance it looks really, really good, but up close it seems clumpy and unnatural.  Well, if you put enough on to really make a difference.  To be fair, however, I've only bought a couple of tubes myself, so maybe it's time I begin looking for a good brand.  Any suggestions for a mascara that goes on smooth and looks natural?

I *do* love the look of fake lashes, but I usually don't take the time to bother with them.  Would that be too much?  Does anyone actually wear false lashes out (maybe just on the outer lashes) other than for night out on the town, etc.?

Any thoughts on hair?  I have another wig that used to be my favorite, but I came to like the simplicity of this wig.  I do have most of the hair back in a clip in this picture, but I like how to curve in the hair frames my face.

I like wetter mascaras - so my brands may not work for you - I like Clinique's High Impact Mascara.  This allows me to put 1 or 2 coats on and it has an impact.   I would say any mascara that is black would help you define your eyes.

I like your hair - it is very nice, relaxed, a good side sweep and has that simple, curved look that is very appealing.   Have you thought of trying a wig with side sweep bangs?

I don't use false lashes as I cannot handle putting them on!  But many people do like wearing them, so I guess it just takes practice.

I like Clinique mascara as well and also Estee Lauder for volume. Benefit, Laura Mercier and Bobbi Brown mascaras seemed to work well too.  I don't do false lashes either because I can't seem to do them right. Too much work for me anyhow. I could never get drugstore mascaras to look right on me (either too wet, clumpy, would run too much by mid day) that I've resorted to using mascaras that are more expensive. I find the applying so much easier and quick since time is always a factor especially in the mornings and the look always ends up being right for what I'm looking for (volume, thickness but not too much).

False lashes really are difficult for me to apply by myself.  I either hit it just right or it drops way too far from my lashline... then it's just a mess.  When I do get them right, though, I love them!  What I usually do every few months is dye my lashes with Roux Lash and Brow tint.  My lashes actually get pretty light during the summer, and using the brown really helps to define my eyes without overdoing it.  Girls may not bother doing this as it doesn't increase the volume of the lashes like mascara.

Next time I take some time to do my makeup I'll take a couple of shots with the other wig.  It's long and somewhat curly, and I usually end up putting it back in some way, shape or form (I'm not the best hair stylist, and it keeps the hair out of my face!).  It's a very nice wig--it's just not as easy to wear.  I have "tried on" several wigs via online makeover tools, and virtually all of my favorites were short-haired wigs.  Perhaps it's just because they're closer to my natural hair.    Here is one of the pics from one of the makeup sites.  I really liked this wig...

And here it is accessorized with a hat...

The pictures are tiny, but hopefully you can see them all right (and once again, they are dark...!).  Looks like they were done in the summer of 2013. 

I see several good brands listed for mascara--thanks!  Would you recommend any specific product from any of the brands that is smooth, non-clumpy yet gives some fullness/body?  Biancardi--it seems like wet mascaras are more what I like (not thick and clumpy).  Do you think it may be too much?

@AmberCDinNC  You may like the Clinique's High Impact Mascara one then.  You should go to a Clinique counter and try it - it really is a great mascara.

I like the bangs in those photos - now, add it with the length of your first wig, and that would be really nice.  You have a well defined jawline, so the longer hair softens that profile

That's actually the reason my first wig was longer--I think someone mentioned it softening my jawline. I do like the idea of combining the two... it's s shame these things don't grow out so I can easily try different styles!

Great look!  :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  Figured I might jump in here as I wear false lashes quite a bit; not only when performing, but also casually, too.  One thing that I've found is the glue itself can make quite a bit of difference in the ease of applying them.  In some cases, the little packs included with the sets aren't so great.  In the past, I often lost a lash after a couple hours with the cheaper glues and almost gave up on using them. 

I recommend Duo's products; especially their brush-on formula.  I prefer the brush-on type as it doesn't drip and get messy like some of the traditional 'squeeze-out' types that would sometimes drip into my eyeliner and botch the look. 

Mascara can definitely help too if you prefer not to do false lashes.  In my case, I have incredibly short, blonde, non-existent lashes lol, so I really love the dramatic change toward more feminine-looking eyes that I get from false lashes.  I never do any looks without them these days :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> lol

Latest posts

Back