Days 50-100 of 100 Day No Buy Challenge

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I thought I would start one thread for the last 50 days of the 100 day no buy challenge, to make it easier to keep track of. 

The second half of the no buy challenge should be great! Here's to a beautiful early spring! 

Goals for second half of 100 day no buy challenge:

Foil packs remaining to be used - 44

Conditioner/styling product - 9

Face masks/peels - 6 (so need to make sure I do one every week)

Body lotion - 2

Perfume - 3

Eye cream/eye mask - 5

Foundation/primer -  6

Face cream/serum - 11 

Misc - two Bite Beauty lip wipes 

Plus plan to finish 6 travel size bottles - shampoo and/or shower gel. 

Of course I plan to use my makeup and nail polish, but can't realistically finish any in 50 days. That's okay - I'm in this for the long haul. 

Financial goals:

I would like to pay off my smallest credit card - about $375

I would like to get ahead on monthly payments, and especially to get one month ahead on my largest monthly payment ($200)

I want to see about paying off a promotional balance expiring in April ($66 - I think it was for L'Occitane Christmas set - 13 Day Advent Calendar. I have not used it yet.)

I want to see about paying off a promotional balance expiring in April ($66 - I think it was for L'Occitane Christmas set - 13 Day Advent Calendar. I have not used it yet.)
I got this same thing. I ended up gifting a lot of the items in it to family and friends at Christmas time but kept a few things. When you start using the items in it, it will be a great treat for you. I've been using the items I kept recently and it's been nice.  :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20">

What date does Day 50 of the challenge start on exactly? From my count, Feb. 19th started day 50 right? (This was much easier to do in January, lol).

Last edited by a moderator:
Goals for second half of No-Buy Challenge:

1. Organize beauty products
  2. Update inventory of beauty products
  3. Get rid of 50 products (can be a combination of samples, foils, unused products, old/outdated products, etc.)

Fun no buy Saturday morning:

Got up after a good sleep. Shampooed my hair and finished L'Oreal styling cream foil before drying hair, then finished my last Boscia face gel foil. That means I get to open a new face cream foil tonight - yay! 

I began working on my financial goal of paying off a promotional balance due in April. This is on a credit card with other balances that are non promotional. I called the bank to check on it, and my minimum payments are going to the regular balance. I am going to need to phone the bank and make special arrangements to pay that promotional amount by April to avoid the interest. This is significant because if I were not on a no buy, if I were in shopping mode, I would not be taking such detailed care with my finances. 

I went on YouTube to see if one of my favorite beauty vloggers, Nays Place, had any new videos, and she has a really good one about using up foil samples. She has some inspiring ideas for organizing them! 

I began working on my financial goal of paying off a promotional balance due in April. This is on a credit card with other balances that are non promotional. I called the bank to check on it, and my minimum payments are going to the regular balance. I am going to need to phone the bank and make special arrangements to pay that promotional amount by April to avoid the interest. This is significant because if I were not on a no buy, if I were in shopping mode, I would not be taking such detailed care with my finances.
This is a huge accomplishment! So happy for you!

I've been on total beauty no buy (except for my Glossybox) for about two months now. It has made me so happy. I bought a new deodorant recently, as I had finished my last one. I got Suave Everlasting Sunshine for $2.00. This was the only thing I have needed to purchase since my no buy began. @@Reija - thank you for all your support, which has kept me going this month, especially after I cheated at the beginning of February. 

I only wish I could have been on a no buy like this when I was younger. It took me a long time to get to the point I'm at now. 

I'm quite preoccupied with my little plan, as it has become sort of a hobby. It's fun to use things up and to get ahead on bills! It makes one think creatively and get the absolute most out of one's nice things and one's money. The potential for saving while having fun is limitless. Whoever began the no buy/project pan trend did a wonderful thing. 

Areas to improve: I need to use my makeup more. I will use skin, body and hair care every day, but makeup rarely. I'm always in a rush in the morning, and I feel like I am wasting my makeup by wearing it as I do not see many people at work. I need a new life to go with all the glamorous cosmetics I have! But I know eventually I will start panning those palettes. Also, I need to start using all those glamorous perfume vials. I'm not allowed to wear perfume to work. 

So happy to hear your update @@EdithS2 Keep up the great work!

The potential for saving while having fun is limitless.
This is so true! Also maybe instead of looking at wearing makeup as a waste if you don't see many people at work, I would look at it as a treat for you. Many days I wear makeup and don't see many people but it makes me feel better. And the days I don't wear any or very little, it never fails that I see many people. :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20"> Your deserve to pamper yourself with makeup and look pretty even when nobody is watching. Although makeup isn't the only thing that makes someone pretty. Beauty is on the inside and it shines through regardless if someone is wearing makeup or not. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20"> Also you can wear the perfume while at home if you can't wear it at work. I do that many times and it cheers me up. Who says we can't smell good while sitting at home. ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20">

I've been on total beauty no buy (except for my Glossybox) for about two months now. It has made me so happy. 

I only wish I could have been on a no buy like this when I was younger. It took me a long time to get to the point I'm at now. 

You are doing so well! Your new hobby sounds like it is going great! I'm in my mid 40's and just recently realized I spend way to much money on beauty products and I have tons of stuff I end up never using or giving away. So after reading about your project, I decided to join in. I'm not going through and using all my samples and items I'm getting through subscription boxes, instead of buying anything new.

I've just come home on Tuesday from the hospital and have about a 6 week recovery. So far I"m using my hair care samples and various facial cleansers and moisturizers and I'm really enjoying it. I hadn't realized how much of this stuff I had, I look like a hoarder LOL. I haven't used any makeup samples either, I've just been too tired. But eventually think this time off may be a good time to try them, just to cheer myself up.

I understand how you feel about not using the makeup, but as Reija said go ahead and use them no matter if anyone see's you. You'll enjoy how you look and that is all that matters. And even being home, enjoy your perfume samples too. As long as you're enjoying them, doesn't matter if anyone else notices or not.

Congrats on how well you are doing with your challenge and keep posting your progress, you're an inspiration!

@@LadyGordon Thank you for your kind words. I wish you a speedy recovery! I hope to begin using more makeup soon. It's almost spring, after all. Time to enjoy our makeup and fragrance and soft colors! 

@edithS2- You are inspiring!  I have used 16/30 items on my journey and it feels great! I need to use more foil packets to get my number higher.

I did fall off the wagon and bought two palettes (my weakness :eek: /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> ) that were half off- so two for the price of one... Around $50.  They are in the mail and I told myself to put them away until my no buy is over- punishment for buying!  :unsure:  tsk tsk.  I am back on track and happy to have used up a jumbo purity face wash I've had in the shower for a year! a half full foundation and a setting spray already this week!!!    Keep at it peeps!!! ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

@edithS2- You are inspiring!  I have used 16/30 items on my journey and it feels great! I need to use more foil packets to get my number higher.

I did fall off the wagon and bought two palettes (my weakness :eek: /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> ) that were half off- so two for the price of one... Around $50.  They are in the mail and I told myself to put them away until my no buy is over- punishment for buying!  :unsure:  tsk tsk.  I am back on track and happy to have used up a jumbo purity face wash I've had in the shower for a year! a half full foundation and a setting spray already this week!!!    Keep at it peeps!!! ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 
You have done so well! The palettes were an awesome deal, so I don't blame you for buying. I figure I will give in and buy things once in a while, then get right back on track, like you. Then I will have more things to enjoy and use up while on no buy. But I think they will be things I really want, whereas in my old life I would often buy for the sake of buying. I have Purity bottles to use up too. 

I'm making progress. I got some refunds from Sephora, and was able to pay off and close a retail card! That is my second card paid off since beginning my no buy. 

I'm almost done with all my foil samples. I was worried about how I was going to get through a bunch of large hair mask foils, as my hair is very fine and I can only use such things sparingly. A friend came to the rescue. I had given her a large bag of beauty products from my collection (new and unused) for Christmas, and she loved them and used them all. She became unemployed this week and, since she has no money to shop, asked me for conditioner, eyeliner, mascara, and highlighter (I told her whenever she wants cosmetics, just ask me). I was so happy to put together a bag for her and I gave her a lot of the hair mask foils, since she asked for things for her thick, curly hair. That worked out so well! 

It's two weeks until the first day of spring. In the next two weeks I want to get the goody bag to my friend, finish my foils (I have some really nice ones now, as I hoarded the best for last), and organize on my new project pan for after my foils are done. I would like to do some spring cleaning, and pick out some spring fragrances and colors to use. 

After I finish my foils, I have a lot of travel size samples to use. I have over 40 face cream deluxe samples alone! Luckily, my count of full size products is much lower. So I have hope of getting through everything! 

I'm making progress. I got some refunds from Sephora, and was able to pay off and close a retail card! That is my second card paid off since beginning my no buy.
Yeah!! So happy for you! So great that you can also help a friend in need.

Financial goals:   I would like to pay off my smallest credit card - about $375 I would like to get ahead on monthly payments, and especially to get one month ahead on my largest monthly payment ($200) I want to see about paying off a promotional balance expiring in April ($66 - I think it was for L'Occitane Christmas set - 13 Day Advent Calendar. I have not used it yet.)
About a month away from finishing the 100 day no buy. The $375 credit card and $66 promotional balance are paid off. The $66 was not for L'Occitane after all, but was a non-refundable application fee for a school I ended up not attending last fall. I thought I could afford to go back to school but no way - I need a massive no buy first! Having paid off my small, easily eliminated debts, I'll spend the remainder of the 100 day no buy getting ahead on monthly payments. That will prepare me to switch to a monthly no buy plan with longer term goals - paying off larger debts. 

I saw a gorgeous girl with short hair and had the impulse to cut mine off. But I need long hair so that I can use all those hair products in my stash! I am still trying to finish all my foil samples. I gave a friend five large conditioner foils. That helped a lot. All my foils should be gone after this month, and I can transition to the monthly plan with more challenging project pans. 

Latest posts

Back