Concealer/Brightener - which one?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, I'm Alexandra and I was hoping to get some advice from people who might know a little more about these things than I do. This is a question about under eye concealers vs under eye brighteners. I'll start off by describing my skin type: I have fair to medium, dry skin with gold undertones. I am not prone to breakouts and I have been blessed with clear skin, so I don't wear foundation. I do, however, have under eye circles that the "shadows" extend to pretty much around the entire socket.

Since I don't wear foundation, I was looking for advice as to which type (or if you have an actual product recommendation, I'm all ears) of product I would be able to use if I wanted to hide my dark circles without wearing foundation or a full face of makeup, since most concealers look really strange if you wear them alone without a full face of makeup. You know how it just makes the upper half of your face look really weird, since your under eye area is naturally always a slightly different shade than the rest of your face and a concealer just kind of paints over that and make your eyes look one color and weird? What kind of product would you recommend that can be worn by itself to help conceal under eye circles that won't look too obvious without a full face of makeup? Something preferably hydrating with benefits and that won't cake or sink into fine lines, since I do get dry under my eyes and concealer tends to settle in. Any ideas or suggestions? I had heard that there was a difference between concealers and brighteners, but I really am not makeup savvy enough to know what that is. 

Any and all input is greatly appreciated!

Hi!

Welcome to MUT! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20">

I really like the YSL Touche Eclat highlighter pencil for brightening the under eye area. It can be used to brighten other areas of the face as well. It's not heavy so it can be easily applied and doesn't seem to be too heavy or dry to settle in the fine lines. Other lines have highlighter pencils now available too but haven't tried them. YSL is just the original one. I remember first using it 20 years ago. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20"> Another more of a concealer type that I found that is fabulous is Cle De Peau stick concealer. It conceals very well and feels very nice when applied. It's always highlighted in magazines for being the best concealer and celebrities using it as well. I haven't had the concealer for a long time now but when I did have it and use it, It was really nice. Many times I would only apply the concealer under eyes and any other areas I wanted to conceal and use a little powder on top. The look was very natural. Cle De Peau is pricey though but you only need a little bit. I also like YSL concealer. Laura Mercier secret camouflage and Bobbi Brown creamy concealer sets are ones that I see recommended and featured in magazines etc frequently. I haven't personally tried those however. I just saw a Lancome one at Sephora that is waterproof and specifically for the under eyes but I haven't tried that one either. Maybe worth checking out however. I have a Lancome eye shadow base and really like it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi!

Welcome to MUT! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I really like the YSL Touche Eclat highlighter pencil for brightening the under eye area. It can be used to brighten other areas of the face as well. It's not heavy so it can be easily applied and doesn't seem to be too heavy or dry to settle in the fine lines. Other lines have highlighter pencils now available too but haven't tried them. YSL is just the original one. I remember first using it 20 years ago. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Another more of a concealer type that I found that is fabulous is Cle De Peau stick concealer. It conceals very well and feels very nice when applied. It's always highlighted in magazines for being the best concealer and celebrities using it as well. I haven't had the concealer for a long time now but when I did have it and use it, It was really nice. Many times I would only apply the concealer under eyes and any other areas I wanted to conceal and use a little powder on top. The look was very natural. Cle De Peau is pricey though but you only need a little bit. I also like YSL concealer. Laura Mercier secret camouflage and Bobbi Brown creamy concealer sets are ones that I see recommended and featured in magazines etc frequently. I haven't personally tried those however. I just saw a Lancome one at Sephora that is waterproof and specifically for the under eyes but I haven't tried that one either. Maybe worth checking out however. I have a Lancome eye shadow base and really like it.

Thank you so much! I keep hearing really good things about the YSL Touche Eclat pen, maybe I will give that a try. As for the other ones you mentioned, I will do some research on them.  :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Girls usually get confused on using highlighter or concealer. Adding to the dilemma is the many products available for the same. My sis uses Mary Kay Facial Highlighting Pen, and she is much happier with it. All what I can say..!!

Latest posts

Back