Foundation

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Is it better to find great foundation that lasts long at a drug store (CVS, Walgreens, etc) or a designer brand? Why?

Welcome to MUT! I'm going to more your post to the make section so that people will see it and can respond. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20"> I prefer designed brands due to the feel and look on my skin but I have tried drugstore ones too and they are good as well. Probably depends more on your budget. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20">

I prefer higher end brands because it is so hard to find the right shade for my skin tone. I'm as white as a ghost, and I find a lot of the drug store brands oxidize and look orange on me.

Yeah I agree with the above as well.

I find that drugstore brands don't have the range of shades, and the formulas are thinned-down versions of their upscale sister brands from department stores and Sephora.

Mind you, brands that are in Sephora only sell their best selling or popular items, for their full line, you need to visit their counter at a department store.

I love Giorgio Armani foundations as I love the feel and texture of it, and it's very easy to "work" as in very easy to apply, blend, move etc. 

I also like working with foundations from Kryolan, Cinema Secrets, and RCMA. Again, very easy to "work".

I find that foundations from Ben Nye and MAC are a bit difficult to work, yes they both have great shade ranges, but their textures are a bit stiff. Don't get me wrong. Their foundations do work, but with an experienced hand you can get their full potential out of them.

I see a lot of girls who wear full on MAC foundations and it just looks cakey on them. They've missed several key steps including prepping or priming the foundation, then there is the finishing aspect of it, etc. And I am not going into a lesson here... But... When you see a MAC Artist work with it at a Master Class or when you see any of their collateral, their foundations look refined. Again these artists know how to "work" the full potential out of a foundation and not just slap it on. There's a reason why MAC sells tints, tones, and liquid pigments...

So, can you "work" a drugstore brand foundation to it's full potential? Yes, but only in the middle range of Caucasian shades, and on a blemish free youthful face which has been prepped... So a very small percentage of a demographic.

Last edited by a moderator:
My favorite foundation of all time is the Kat VonD Lock it Tattoo Foundation. It gives me the best coverage ever and the color matches me PERFECTLY. 

What do you want in your foundation? Get that clear and then go out and search for options.

it depends on your style. i found that there are some good drugstore foundations that work just as good for my skin. there are actually some high-end brands that don't even work as well as drugstore. play around with different ones! find one that fits you best. looking up reviews are good too or asking opinions on a brand you are interested in. 

Latest posts

Back