using a green color corrector for redness

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h87

Reaction score
Hello,

Would anyone be able to advise me on using a green color corrector for redness? I want to use it for general redness on the cheeks. I don't know which type to look for and how to use it with makeup. Also, what type of makeup will work best with it?

Any input would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Hello,

Would anyone be able to advise me on using a green color corrector for redness? I want to use it for general redness on the cheeks. I don't know which type to look for and how to use it with makeup. Also, what type of makeup will work best with it?

Thanks.
Ok obviously you're new to this. I was new to this as well a long time ago, so I empathize with you. 

Why would you want to use green??? That's why foundations were invented... To cover redness. 

You could use a green corrector, but according to colour theory, it will complicate your application four-fold. It gets even more complicated or rather more time consuming if you factor in doing a contour and highlight as well...

Instead of a 5 minute application, you'll end up doing a 20 minute foundation application. Why layer on 4-5 products when only one will do the trick once? 

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,

Thanks.
Hey There :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I agree with MakeupbyOmar who posted above in regards to using multiple products when you could just use one. The problem is, some foundations don't have a lot of coverage, and if you want to keep it a light application of makeup, then some "colour correcting" can be very useful!

I use green colour correctors quite a lot to help tone some really funky colours on my skin. Mostly under the eyes (with an orangy-toned cocnealer) and around my nose and mouth for the redness (green concealer). 

if you want to use it on your cheeks, then I suggest a thinner consistency of green colour correcting concealer (such as Catrice cosmetics colour correcting concealer pallete, or Nyx Cosmetics colour correcting concealer palette). These two are my favourites. Because you want to cover a larger area (your cheeks), I would suggest staying away from thicker concealers. Especially if you have larger pores on your cheeks, thicker concealers can tend to look cakey. Apply a THIN layer - this being the most important tip I can give you, because it will do the colour correcting without it being a very thick layer. Avoid the packing on of product when the colour can do all the work for you. Then just layer your foundation over the top and blend well. It will definitely make a difference.

However, like Makeupbyomar said - if you are going to use a foundation that has high coverage, then you don't need to use a colour corrector.

I hope this helps you out a little - if you have any questions, just let me know! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Good luck!

xx

Hello,

How are you? 

There are various things you can do about redness;

1. Always use sunscreen, because the sun worsens it.

2. You can use  a full coverage foundation like 'MAC Studio Fix fluid Foundation' in your skintone  and this should cover almost if not all of your redness.

3. if you still want to cover some more, you can use a full coverage concealer from MAC or Kryolan and just dab on a little on the remaining spots that you have to cover.

4. if you still want a corrector though, you can always try 'Makeup for ever' and remember to apply the corrector under the foundation to prevent that 'ashy' look :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Hope this has been helpful.

Let me know if you have any more questions,

Stacey:)

I have really, really, really bad rosacea and have tried every trick in the book.  I think the green correctors make my skin look really weird - not bad, exactly, just...off. 

My holy grail for redness is It Cosmetics Bye Bye Redness.  The only down side is that it's a universal shade, and part of the year I'm too pale for it to work on me (at least as a standalone).  It Cosmetics CC cream is also fantastic at covering red.  Jamie Kern Lima is the creator of the brand, and she has rosacea too, so all of the products are perfection for people with a lot of redness.  The MAC studio fix foundation and powder also work great on me, with prolongwear as a concealer. 

I have really, really, really bad rosacea and have tried every trick in the book.  I think the green correctors make my skin look really weird - not bad, exactly, just...off. 

My holy grail for redness is It Cosmetics Bye Bye Redness.  The only down side is that it's a universal shade, and part of the year I'm too pale for it to work on me (at least as a standalone).  It Cosmetics CC cream is also fantastic at covering red.  Jamie Kern Lima is the creator of the brand, and she has rosacea too, so all of the products are perfection for people with a lot of redness.  The MAC studio fix foundation and powder also work great on me, with prolongwear as a concealer. 
Ok, yes, someone else suggested the product I think works well. It Cosmetics Bye bye redness..good job

I tried Koh Gen Do green primer, I didn't like it, plus it smells vaguely like puke.

As most people have already figured out that using a green concealer makes you look "off", this is what we call "ashy" or "grey". Then they're stuck in trying to figure out their undertone...

@@sweetfacecreation, thanks for the creds, but you misunderstood my post. I wasn't talking about using a full coverage foundation. I meant any type of foundation. But for best results use a foundation that has a high pigment content. Which could mean a liquid foundation. Remember, high pigment doesn't mean full coverage.

Anyways this is going to be an interesting thread because of the different thinking processes between a male MUA and a woman MUA's approach to covering blemishes, tonal shades, even fine lines.

A women's perspective is to create a blank slate and start from scratch and build up from there, regardless if it's a women's make-up or a man's. Hence all the different layering of products to create the "ideal" image of beauty.

A guy's perspective is to just tone down or reduce any pigment flaws, blemishes etc using minimal products and enhance what's already there instead of creating new features to build up.

In my experience it takes about 5 years for a pro women MUA to master the minimal product approach, after that they really excel at it and that's why all the female celebs you see in real life and in photos they look made up but they don't look caked up. And that's why women are also better at S F/X make-up then men are. This is all attributed to their patience. This is not a judgement, just an observation over the years.

There are pros and cons to both approaches.  I know this thread is about covering redness. But this "covering up" logic also applies to a dual-toned centre paneled skin tones which is common in most black skin tones, where the center of the face is very pale and the outer areas are dark or vice-versa... So which foundation shade should you choose to even out said dual skin tone? Because it can go either way.

Anyways just some food for thought on covering redness... Do you use one product to cover redness? Or do you use multiple products and layers to cover it? Again, there are pros and cons to both methods. In the end it's up to the individual on how to approach it.

@ - that is actually why I love the it cosmetics stuff - the CC cream allows me to just use one product for everything: covering the red, concealer, foundation, moisturizer, anti-aging, sunscreen all in one tube! A teeny amount of the bye bye redness before yoga or grocery shopping makes me look like I have no makeup on, just naturally fantastic skin. It is so liberating after struggling with rosacea for years. I am not a makeup artist, just a working mom with rosacea, and I am not even exaggerating when I say it changed my life.

Back