Hair gets greasy so fast

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I don't really style my hair much, a ponytail is about all I'm capable of. But I want to dye my hair purple and I've been planning this for a few months. The only problem is, if I want the dye to stay in my hair longer than three days I've got to cut down on how often I wash it. My hair gets greasy after around 24 hours and I can't stand it. Since my hair is blonde it's really obvious when it gets greasy. I've heard about people that can go for days without washing their hair and I'd like to become one of those people. I think the hair greasiness runs in my family because none of my immediate family can go for more than a day or two without having to wash their hair. I also heard it's healthier the less often you wash it.

I've tried dry shampoo, that only ever gets me a couple of extra hours of clean hair before it gets greasy again. I'd rather not resort to using products (I only use shampoo+conditioner) but if it'll end up helping me out, then whatever. How do I make my hair stay non-greasy for longer? 

My hair used to be like that. Until I stuck it out a few weeks washing every other day instead of every day. As the hair "adjusts" during this time, it will be greasy. So make sure you have a few hats on hand. I don't know it it will work for you, but it definitely did for me. I also use a diy deep conditioning mask once a week. Its really easy to make- an egg yolk, olive oil, and honey. I know it sounds disgusting but it really makes my hair shiny and healthy. You massage it into your hair, wait 5 minutes, then wash it out. Wash it really well and use regular conditioner. If you do it right it won't leave any smell or anything. I know it sounds gross but it really helps make hair healthier. Maybe give it a try. Good luck :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

You can use talcum powder on your roots to absorb any oil or dirt from your scalp. Just dust some one, leave for a few minutes then comb it through. Another option is dry shampoo, it pretty much does the same thing but leaves your hair smelling super nice.

I am not sure why, but sulfate free shampoo always leaves my hair feeling less greasy, longer. I'm guessing it could have something to do with the pH of your scalp after washing your hair with regular shampoo-- your hair tends to produce more oil to balance out the pH. I could be wrong but sulfate free shampoo helps me with battling my hair grease!

I am not sure why, but sulfate free shampoo always leaves my hair feeling less greasy, longer. I'm guessing it could have something to do with the pH of your scalp after washing your hair with regular shampoo-- your hair tends to produce more oil to balance out the pH. I could be wrong but sulfate free shampoo helps me with battling my hair grease!
I wondered why I could wash my hair every 3rd day instead of almost daily ever since I started using the Pro Naturals hair repair system. Now I know - sulfate free shampoo! It did not work overnite I think I noticed it after I'd been following their regime for about 3 months and I am currently trying to extend my hair washing/styling to every 4 days. Attempting this in the winter is much easier. 

You have to 'train' your hair. It seems like when I washed my hair ever couple of days, it woudl get oilier. I think washing it stimulates your scalp and it produces more oil. I don't know that for a fact, but that seemed to be what was going on with mine. Now I wash it every four days, and it doesn't get oily at all. Sounds terrible, but that's the truth. Oh, I still bathe every day, in case you were wondering, hahahaha

You have to 'train' your hair. It seems like when I washed my hair ever couple of days, it woudl get oilier. I think washing it stimulates your scalp and it produces more oil. I don't know that for a fact, but that seemed to be what was going on with mine. Now I wash it every four days, and it doesn't get oily at all. Sounds terrible, but that's the truth. Oh, I still bathe every day, in case you were wondering, hahahaha
Just like Nancy, i shower everyday but i only wash my hair twice a week, in winter i keep it to once a week... YEP that's right and it stays clean all week. My secret? I have none!

But as some already suggested Sulfate free shampoos help, Sulfate disrupt the PH of your scalp, plus daily washing strip essential oils from you hair, your scalp need to product more sebum to replace it and there you are washing it again, it is a vicious circle.

So find you a good sulfate free shampoo and see what happens, i am using uk hair solutions tea tree shampoo and the essential oil mask once a week,  oil baths moisturise your hair follicle and send the signal that they dont need to product more sebum to nourish your hair, then start by skipping a day or two, if you make it up to 3 days with clean hair, you are a winner! it can take up to 3 months to adjust, so take your time.

Well the healthy way is to wash hair like 3 times per week. You need to get used to it and wash it less often as there will be less oil as they get used to.. Maybe try with every 2 days for a few months then go to 3 times peer week. Less is more as hair get used to this and if you wash more often there will be only more and more of oil.

Try to apply yogurt on your hair for half an hour and dont use much of conditioner.

and instead of cutting your hair, trim your hair.

All the best dear . :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  

I used to wash my hair every day as well but now I wash it like 1-2 times per week, I've tried several dry shampoos and didn't really like them. I tried using some corn starch instead and it has worked wonderfully.

Now I always have a huge jar of corn starch along with a brush (you can use a kabuki brush, powder brush etc) in my bathroom  :satisfied: . I just apply some in my roots, wait a little bit and brush it out. Voila!  :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Extra volume guaranteed

Hello, the fact that this condition runs down your  family  makes me think that it's better to look for ways of making your hair less greasy, cause that may be easier than finding a permanent solution. You can start by trimming your hair, to make it appear thicker and stronger. You can then use baby powder or dry  shampoo. It'll also make your hair appear less greasy;simply rub it in to your roots, be careful not to put so much so that people can't notice whiteness on your hair. Try combing it outwards afterwards. You can also blow dry your hair but this is not all that essential. There is so much you can do to make your hair appear less greasy. You can check out some beauty sites on http://www.0web.me/ that can connect you to others whom you share this problem with and see what they do.  You can also get additional tips on how to make your hair appear normal.All the best

Last edited by a moderator:
Back