Make Up at Work - Do you wear any?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Makeup%203.jpg

(image just for visual presentation - this is not me, or the candidate)

So, I interviewed a lovely candidate today for a senior position in our company.  She was qualified, well dressed, interviewed well... basically, I'm gonna recommend that she gets hired.  The only kink in my chain is that she didnt wear any makeup... like, nothing.  Not a drop.  Which obvioulsy doesnt sway my opinion about her, but I began to take stock that about 90% of the woman in my company do not wear makeup!

Nothing!!  The lady across from my cube doesnt wear any.  The ladies in payroll... nothing.  Accounting, there are 2 out of 5 that wear makeup... the list goes on.

Now, I am one that wears at minimum a foundation (to even out my skin tone) or BB cream and gloss.  But these ladies dont wear aaannnyything!

I wonder if it's because of time?  Is it lack of makeup education?  lack of interest?  unmotivated?  is it the job they are doing?

I'm curious.  Was does the majority of people dress-up to go to work, but leave out the makeup?

What are your thoughts??

I am not sure - I love my makeup and wear it proudly!   There are many ladies here in my office that just wear mascara and maybe a lip gloss, but that is it.  There are a few ladies here that love to wear makeup too, but the majority hardly wear any.

I think it is just a lack of interest.  nothing more...

I noticed the no makeup look also all my years working in the office. I found that most ladies I worked with wore no makeup including the executive level women in the office. Maybe mascara but that was about it. Very few wore lipstick. I was little sleep deprived and crazy from the kids being little at the time so my makeup was pretty minimal but I did carry a makeup bag to work and did my makeup at work first thing in the morning. It was a few minutes makeup consisting of powder foundation, blush, 1 shade eye shadow, mascara and lipstick. On the weekends when I had more time, I would do full makeup. I'm still crazy busy so some days it's only mascara, tinted moisturizer and lipstick but I've been trying to carve more time to do full makeup which is what I enjoy doing. I just feel better on the days when I have time to do my makeup uninterrupted. I don't mind going out the door without makeup I just prefer to wear some because I enjoy putting it on. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20">

I agree with Reija in that I always have my makeup bag at work.I also do my makeup first thing I come to work. It's like a ritual which jump starts my day and also makes me feel more polished. I usually put on foundation at home and finish doing makeup at work like 1-2 eyeshadows, mascara, sometimes eyeliner, blush/bronzer. I usually don't wear lipstick because it tends to come off within minutes and I wish I could find something long-lasting. But my female coworkers around me do not wear makeup except for one. I think it is for the lack of interest.

Yes I wear makeup to work. When my skin was bad from hormonal breakouts I used a heavy coverage but now its clear and its summer and hot here, I just stick to a BB cream, which also doubles as a bronzer. I never go without eyeliner and eyepencil-eyepencil is a must for me as I have eyebrow tattoos and the colour is too light so I have to fill them in I carry them everywhere with me in my bag. My job is demanding and by the end of the day I look a mess (I work with children, need I say more? :laughno: ) but I always like to make an effort and wake up earlier just so that I can.

I would say that it's probably a combination of both lack of motivation and lack of knowledge as to why these women don't wear makeup. Depends on the kind of job as to why they may not wear makeup. For example I wouldn't expect people doing night shifts to be wearing makeup if they're nurses or police officers. Just my two cents.

I enjoy doing my makeup, but often wear next to none for work. I basically in a man's field and my uniform consists of a pair of Dickie's (the baggier kind), a t-shirt, and steel-toed boots. I would look silly with a lot of makeup on and don't feel like I would be taken as seriously. I will wear more on days when I dress up a bit for meetings though.

I usually don't. I start work at 5am and have to leave home by 4:30. I wake up with enough time to get dressed, quickly do my hair, and throw my lunch in my bag. I'd need 20-30 minutes extra if I would put on makeup in the morning. It's hard enough to get up in the morning, I don't feel like adding another half hour on to it.

If I have an appointment or something after work, I'll throw stuff in my makeup bag to put on later.

Typically I don't. But lately it's been hot and humid in our studio, so my face gets very shiny. So I use an anti-shine gel / creme from Face-to-Face by Makeup International.

I work in healthcare, and most of the women in my workplace wear little to no makeup.  I'm talking about both the providers and those in administrative positions, although some of both fall outside the 'norm' and choose to wear more makeup than the others.  

I'm on the administrative side and I personally love putting on my makeup in the morning.  It just makes me feel so much more put-together and ready to take on the day.

Personally, I love putting my best face forward in this conservative-professional, natural makeup look to help me get through the work day. My confidence and motivation is increased.

A ton of people around me (like 60%) don't really use makeup. I wish I had their features and confidence.

I've hardly been able to work this last year due to illness/injury, but the jobs I've had have all been customer service of some sort. When I did wear makeup, it was just the bare minimum on the rare day I felt fancy haha. I just felt like for the effort it would take to do myself up only to get so nasty during my shift wasn't worth it - not to mention the fact that I was always so exhausted after work that taking off makeup would just be one more thing in the way of getting to bed.

Makeup%203.jpg

(image just for visual presentation - this is not me, or the candidate)

So, I interviewed a lovely candidate today for a senior position in our company.  She was qualified, well dressed, interviewed well... basically, I'm gonna recommend that she gets hired.  The only kink in my chain is that she didnt wear any makeup... like, nothing.  Not a drop.  Which obvioulsy doesnt sway my opinion about her, but I began to take stock that about 90% of the woman in my company do not wear makeup!

Nothing!!  The lady across from my cube doesnt wear any.  The ladies in payroll... nothing.  Accounting, there are 2 out of 5 that wear makeup... the list goes on.

Now, I am one that wears at minimum a foundation (to even out my skin tone) or BB cream and gloss.  But these ladies dont wear aaannnyything!

I wonder if it's because of time?  Is it lack of makeup education?  lack of interest?  unmotivated?  is it the job they are doing?

I'm curious.  Was does the majority of people dress-up to go to work, but leave out the makeup?

What are your thoughts??
We were a small company so no woman was wearing make-up. As long as it doesn't affect the work efficiency I think it's okay.

Latest posts

Back