Which is the best qualification to take as a beginner?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I'm new here. I live in London and have always had an admiration for the creative art of make up artistry. I want to study it as well as work full time, and I was wondering if anyone could offer any advice in terms of which courses are best to take for a beginner, are qualifications more valuable in the industry or experience, or should I self teach?

Thanks so much,

Chiaroscuro  :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

If you are into fashion too then Colour Me beautiful do courses to become a personal stylist which includes make-up (for every day and special occasions like weddings). The course is quite expensive though as there are two parts to it (colour then style wardrobe) there is then the colour swatches and make-up you'd need to buy to set up in business.

Once you've got the qualification you can advertise your business locally and could probably fit it into a full time job elsewhere by doing consultations at night or at the weekend - though you'd need a space with natural lighting (or light bulbs at least) as a studio. Sales are through the colour consultation / make-up sales / personal stylist tips / biannual review of fashion trends. What you do is up to you (how little or much).

May be worth looking at? The cost involved put me off tbh as to break even financially you'd need to do a fair number of sessions with clients and, once you've analysed one person and they know their colour, unless you can persuade them to buy the make-up etc that's the only sale you'd make from them.

Another option would be doing some sort of wedding beauty course as always a supply of willing clients! Or hen night fun nights a la Avon rep style but perhaps a bit more upmarket or with a slant such as natural products. Check what courses are available locally and what services are doing well and see if there is a gap in the market for something a bit different.

Good luck!

Latest posts

Back