I need a lot of advice

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I don't know where I'm going wrong with my skin care and make-up,but it doesn't matter what i use,drug store to high end,my skin/makeup still looks crap. I have combination skin,sensitive/red,acne prone and i also have eczema. I use either nivea or garnier face wash,moisturise with e45 first then either,no7,clairns, or garnier. I use smashbox water primer,then my green sbc concealer to hide my redness,estte lauder double wear foundation,blusher and bronzers range,i set it with my rimmel stay matte and urban decay oil control setting spray.I use real technique sponge and brushes. It still looks cakey,could it be the products,techniques or something else.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey HelloKitty01, 

I sympathise, although I don't have acne, I do have eczema and it plagues my face during winter and now summer too, due to my hayfever! So regularly suffer with a  red face. 

Few things that might help: 

- Do you regularly clean your brushes / sponges? They are a breeding ground for germs.

- Could one of the products you're using be causing the flare up? Try an elimination test of each product. I was using a cream for ages, it wasn't until I stopped using it that my eczema improved.

- I'm not a fan of e45 for eczema. It does contain lanolin and Liquid Paraffin. Both can be a trigger for eczema if your sensitive to it. Not saying you will be but it's a thought. 

- I've tried every cream and face wash going for eczema and sensitive skin and the best I've found is the La Roche-Posay range. Not cheap, but worth it if they help. I use the sensitive face wash and Toleriane Cream, which is actually approved by the Allergy Society and is safe for use on the eyes, which is mostly where I get the eczema. They don't contain petroleum, fragrance or Paraben.  

- I try and stick to as little products as possible (hard, i know, when you want to cover it up) I use clinique make-up because it's free from fragrance. They have a yellow tinted primer for redness. Some primers irritate me. 

R

Hey HelloKitty01, 

I sympathise, although I don't have acne, I do have eczema and it plagues my face during winter and now summer too, due to my hayfever! So regularly suffer with a  red face. 

Few things that might help: 

- Do you regularly clean your brushes / sponges? They are a breeding ground for germs.

- Could one of the products you're using be causing the flare up? Try an elimination test of each product. I was using a cream for ages, it wasn't until I stopped using it that my eczema improved.

- I'm not a fan of e45 for eczema. It does contain lanolin and Liquid Paraffin. Both can be a trigger for eczema if your sensitive to it. Not saying you will be but it's a thought. 

- I've tried every cream and face wash going for eczema and sensitive skin and the best I've found is the La Roche-Posay range. Not cheap, but worth it if they help. I use the sensitive face wash and Toleriane Cream, which is actually approved by the Allergy Society and is safe for use on the eyes, which is mostly where I get the eczema. They don't contain petroleum, fragrance or Paraben.  

- I try and stick to as little products as possible (hard, i know, when you want to cover it up) I use clinique make-up because it's free from fragrance. They have a yellow tinted primer for redness. Some primers irritate me. 

R

Hi Thanks for your reply.

Yes,I clean my brushes every 2 weeks,I have tried loads of cream for my Excema,e45 only works for me as its thick and creamy,i also have my steroid cream from the doctor aswell.I have also tried cliniques skincare range,made my oily skin worse! and the yellow primer made my skin cakey,La Roche-Posay range left white marks and my face,when i touched my face,my makeup would rub off. I have spent that much on makeup and skincare it's doing my heading,as you can imagine! I also try and stick to less products but my skin changes all the time!

If it's technique, then practice is your friend! I used to be way more crap at applying makeup, but I started watching tons of tutorial videos on YouTube and just played around with different looks. Now I'm only a little crap.  :lol:

If it's technique, then practice is your friend! I used to be way more crap at applying makeup, but I started watching tons of tutorial videos on YouTube and just played around with different looks. Now I'm only a little crap.  :lol:
I don't think its technique,maybe i could do with learning how to contour better but i watch loads of youtube videos already! I'm thinking it's either products or tools. i use the RT beauty blender,i did use the RT buffing brush but it jsut makes me face too cakey. Could you recommend any brushes?

I don't think its technique,maybe i could do with learning how to contour better but i watch loads of youtube videos already! I'm thinking it's either products or tools. i use the RT beauty blender,i did use the RT buffing brush but it jsut makes me face too cakey. Could you recommend any brushes?
Unfortunately I can't recommend anything based on personal experience, I've literally got like five drugstore brushes haha. I've heard that Sigma has some really good brushes though, and you can buy them in sets or individually.

Unfortunately I can't recommend anything based on personal experience, I've literally got like five drugstore brushes haha. I've heard that Sigma has some really good brushes though, and you can buy them in sets or individually.
That was really weird that you mentioned Sigma because i was just going to ask you about the Sigma F80 brush! Do you know anyone that has used it?

That was really weird that you mentioned Sigma because i was just going to ask you about the Sigma F80 brush! Do you know anyone that has used it?
That's actually the one that I've heard the most about! I've been told it's really soft and light on the face, so I think that would be a really good choice.

That's actually the one that I've heard the most about! I've been told it's really soft and light on the face, so I think that would be a really good choice.
Haha,in the middle of waiting for you to reply,i bought it! I treated myself should i say =)

Latest posts

Back