Tanning and makeup

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've always wanted to try sunbeds or self tanning as i'm really pale.Mostly sunbeds as i have excema and i don't want the tanning product to stick to my dry patches.So ow do you match your foundation to the tan? If someone could explain in good detail i would appreciate it.

I would have to say avoid the beds as well if you have eczema! Other than further irritating your skin, you'll look blotchy because you'll be tan everywhere EXCEPT where the patches of eczema are.

I would have to say avoid the beds as well if you have eczema! Other than further irritating your skin, you'll look blotchy because you'll be tan everywhere EXCEPT where the patches of eczema are.
I thought it would be the opposite! what if i tan when my eczema hasn't flared up?

I thought it would be the opposite! what if i tan when my eczema hasn't flared up?
I still couldn't say tanning beds would be a good idea, but I would say if it's not currently aggravated and you have a solid way of treating and soothing it, the dryness would be less noticeable!

So you would recommend fake tan and not sunbeds? where do i start,gradually?do i apply it to my face or just my body and match my foundation? i need as much information as possible,please.

My daughters both have really bad eczema and whenever we go on vacation, they are so blotchy!  Anywhere their eczema has been in the last year is white and the rest of their skin tans.  It's the strangest thing.  So yeah, I plan on advising them to just wear sunscreen and embrace the pale because it seems like it would be hard to make a tan work with that skin.  I have rosacea and also have to avoid the sun, so we will all be pale together. 

Sounds like you really want to try out the tan look though, so maybe start with a gradual tanner like the St. Tropez or NKDSKN ones - these are more like a lotion and give you a decent tan after a few hours that lasts a day or two, but can be built up over time.  I think that would be a better place to start if you are worried about it clinging to your dry patches because if it looks crazy, it will wash off a lot faster. 

As far as matching your foundation to your tanned skin, have you considered something like the cover FX custom drops?  Get it in a few shades darker than your normal complexion and you can mix it with your facial moisturizer, sunscreen, primer or whatever.  This seems like it would be the most customizable option to me, you could darken or lighten up your mixture as needed to match the rest of your body. 

Another option is the Clarins golden glow booster, which you would put in your normal foundation to make it looks more tan and glowy.  I have never tried these personally but one of the youtubers I like (Alison Anderson) raves about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
My daughters both have really bad eczema and whenever we go on vacation, they are so blotchy!  Anywhere their eczema has been in the last year is white and the rest of their skin tans.  It's the strangest thing.  So yeah, I plan on advising them to just wear sunscreen and embrace the pale because it seems like it would be hard to make a tan work with that skin.  I have rosacea and also have to avoid the sun, so we will all be pale together. 

Sounds like you really want to try out the tan look though, so maybe start with a gradual tanner like the St. Tropez or NKDSKN ones - these are more like a lotion and give you a decent tan after a few hours that lasts a day or two, but can be built up over time.  I think that would be a better place to start if you are worried about it clinging to your dry patches because if it looks crazy, it will wash off a lot faster. 

As far as matching your foundation to your tanned skin, have you considered something like the cover FX custom drops?  Get it in a few shades darker than your normal complexion and you can mix it with your facial moisturizer, sunscreen, primer or whatever.  This seems like it would be the most customizable option to me, you could darken or lighten up your mixture as needed to match the rest of your body. 

Another option is the Clarins golden glow booster, which you would put in your normal foundation to make it looks more tan and glowy.  I have never tried these personally but one of the youtubers I like (Alison Anderson) raves about it.
Hi.

I want to try it mostly because i've got a wedding coming up in July.It's funny you say that,i picked up the St tropez in shower gradual tanner not that long ago =p im thinking of using that on my body,seeing how dark iam a week before the wedding and then picking up a sample of my foundation what i use but a shade darker so i can mix the two. surely matching your fake tan is the same as tanning on holiday? i shall check this clarins golden glow booster out =) thankyou.

I've always wanted to try sunbeds or self tanning as i'm really pale.Mostly sunbeds as i have excema and i don't want the tanning product to stick to my dry patches.So ow do you match your foundation to the tan? If someone could explain in good detail i would appreciate it.
Last year I bought a tube of Stila Stay All Day® 10-In-One HD Bronzing Beauty Balm With Broad Spectrum SPF 30. During the summer months, I can add a dollop of the product to either a BB cream or foundation to match my skin tone. It works quite well!

Latest posts

Back