HAIR COLOR DISASTER PLEASE HELP!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
so 10 months ago i dyed my hair with black henna (indigo). after a couple months, i had 10 cm of natural roots and the rest was a sort of black/green/kaki color. It looked horrible. I went to a hair dresser, who told me that he could bleach my hair and then put a red chemical dye in to neutralize the green. It looked nice for about 2 weeks and then it washed out. after 3 trips to the hair dresser (and alot of money spent). my natural roots are now a reddish/auburn colour and black henna parts are greener than ever!!!!! :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />. I don't understand how and why. I know i just have to stick with it and let my hair grow but meanwhile does anyone have a solution to neutralize the green from the black henna? I've tried everything: tomato ketchup, red fruits etc… should i dye it myself with a red chemical dyed bought at the supermarket? Thank you for your help!

Welcome to MUT! Sorry this happened to you. I moved your post to the hair care forum. Hope you get responses here. I wish I could help but I don't know much about coloring hair. I tried it a few times myself and both times were a disaster. I learned not to color my own hair ever again. I just go to the salon to get it done. Hope you get your color fixed somehow.

Camilla, I'm pretty new at all of this, but I did read something about what you're talking about, I think (now...many months after the fact).  I believe if you were to use a red-based protein filler on your hair before re-dying, it would neutralize the green, however it may make the colour darker than you may be hoping for.  I think the reason the dye job from the hair dresser didn't take well, was because your hair is too porous, and again, would benefit from a protein filler (even neutral-based would be better than nothing) to help the hair hold the colour.
You would use the protein filler, let it sit on your head for 20 minutes (with a bag on your head, to keep the heat in), then dry it and re-dye (permanent colour), or towel dry and re-dye (semi/demi-permanent colours).  You're apparently only supposed to let the colour sit on your hair for 5 minutes (instead of the 20-30 minutes suggested in the instructions that come with the dye), before washing it out, to prevent too much dye from grabbing--which makes hair extra dark.  Or so I read.

I know this probably isn't relevant to you now, but I know I'd have been happy as hell to find this comment online three days ago, so I'm posting it for future generations.  LOL   ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Latest posts

Back