Custom Boxes

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I decided to try out the custom box since I could prepay and get one box free, and I'm not sure how I feel about it.

I have to say that I am 100% against the downgrade in the size of the products in favor of gift cards. For the most part the gift cards were for brands I wouldn't shop at and they were not enough to cover the cost of a single item. I also found out that starlooks "gift cards" are the same as discount codes, which meats I cannot use star points with the giftcards I recieve, which definitely sucks.

I'm hopeful that the next box will be better, but I'm not super optimistic.

The 2nd month makeup picks were not too bad, but the gift cards were eh. I'm annoyed to get them because I have to spend much more than the value of some of them to get anything and I'm not paying for a subscription so I can spend even more money. I picked two Starlooks gift cards, and after my next month is over I probably won't continue subscribing.

I'm curious to know where they are getting their makeup now though. I know the full size products were sourced from Modern Basics, but none of these small size or new items are found on the Modern Basics website.

I'm a fan of the custom boxes, because they're cheaper, shipping is free, and I can choose from a couple options. I own a lot of make-up and I NEVER use all of it, so the deluxe size is perfect for me. 

I signed up in June for July's box and have yet to receive a shipping notification... has any received one? I used to have the regular Starbox, and it typically shipped by the 10th.. 

I have been waiting to get a shipping notice on my July box also and haven't heard anything yet.

Got the August box, picked out the lip gloss, an eyeshadow, and I think an angled eyeliner brush. Pretty happy about those three things for the price, and the gift cards just add for a bonus! Hopefully though they get a little bit better with makeup choices and gift cards. 

just got an email with updates to Starlooks. Here are the changes per their email:

[SIZE=10pt]S[/SIZE][SIZE=9.5pt]o here's what's new [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]for Custom Starbox [/SIZE][SIZE=9.5pt]starting in September[/SIZE][SIZE=9.5pt]: [/SIZE]

[SIZE=9.5pt]1. You [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]can now[/SIZE][SIZE=9.5pt] choose FOUR Starlooks items, instead of three! YAY!!

2.  Previous month's makeup choices will stay available longer, and the most popular picks will be re-released every few months so you can pick them for your box again if you so choose.  
[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]Great opportunity for when you run out of a particular product[/SIZE][SIZE=9.5pt] you love! 

3. In addition to your choice of products,  every subscriber will now automatically receive three Starlooks Gift Cards each month - A total of $20 towards different products, collections, etc. on Starlooks.com! 

4. NEW FEATURE:
 Introducing the [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]"[/SIZE][SIZE=9.5pt]Starlooks Boutique[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]"[/SIZE][SIZE=9.5pt] and "Tack-On[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]products[/SIZE][SIZE=9.5pt]!  Makeup is obviously our thing, but we all know the beauty and fashion industry go hand-in-hand!  We're slowly collecting our favorite fashion apparel, accessories, home decor and more (!) and will be releasing them to Custom Subscribers FIRST [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]at incredibly discounted prices, before they move to the website for sale at our normal price.  [/SIZE][SIZE=9.5pt]If you see [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]an item that[/SIZE][SIZE=9.5pt] you like, simply "tack-it-on" to your Starbox [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]order [/SIZE][SIZE=9.5pt]that month!  Don't see anything? There's no obligation to purchase. Simply [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]sub[/SIZE][SIZE=9.5pt]mit your [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]makeup [/SIZE][SIZE=9.5pt]picks, [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]and [/SIZE][SIZE=9.5pt]then wait to see what we come up with the following month. [/SIZE]

I'm guessing they've lost a whole lot of subscribers. This place is a grave yard now, and their instagram gets no love. I don't know why they didn't just do this to begin with.

Now that they've done away with the stupid "gift cards" from other brands, I'll consider resubbing.

I ended up canceling my subscription to te looksbook stuff and I decided not to resubscribe to the custom boxes. Most of the time I only like one or two of the makeup options, and I don't like the gift card thing.

The problem with the Starlooks giftcard is that you can't use them on certain products or in conjunction with coupon codes. I tried to use a gift card to prepay for the looksbook subscription to try it out and then go an email that said I couldn't use a gift card on that item. I emailed back and forth with them for a bit, but basically I got nowhere and decided to just cancel my subscription.

It seems like this is changing to be less of a deal for the subscribers.  If you chose your three samples, the $20 Starlooks GC, and the $20 signature line Starlooks GC, you ended up being able to get three samples and two full size items plus whatever the third (generally useless) GC you chose.  Now the Starlooks GCs are going to be for lesser value and in order to get anything with them you will have to spend additional money.

(sorry for double posting)

*Update*

Got my email to pick my box samples and such for September.... not impressed at all.

Four little samples of things that are not even new and now just three tiny giftcards for their store, no thanks.

The idea that you can add on fashion is cool I guess, but not really my sort of thing at all.

I looked around and apparently you have to email to cancel your subscription so I did so a couple of days ago, still no response back.

I missed it when we used to get full size eye shadow palettes!

I don't  mind the smaller size items, I still think 4 items for $12 isn't too bad (even if you don't include the gift cards), but as I was browsing their website the other day I realized a few things: The quality of their cosmetics is just plain not that good...save for a few things like gem pencils, & tender gloss. But everything is grossly over priced. $99 for a palette of shadows? Get outta here, you're NOT Urban Decay (who sells GREAT palettes for less) And for the love of god, why is every single lipstick and gloss frosty? And now they're selling jewelry & belts, which are also over priced and discounts don't apply?

I've come to the conclusion that this company has absolutely no idea what they're doing.

Latest posts

Back