Male makeup disaster pls Help!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello I'm a 17 year old guy who has a lot of red marks left behind from previous acne and I want to cover it up with makeup. I have tried Revlon Colorstay but I don't like anything about it or any other liquid foundations because they look cakey on my skin and they sit in my pores, I recently got a mineral foundation which is awesome but there's problems with it. It doesn't cover everything I want it to cover, looks flat and unnatural. I found this video on Youtube and I thought it would work so I bought the MAC spray and I tried this method but unfortunately the spray made the foundation crack and it kind of melted, I thought because I had a mineral foundation and it's powder that it was a powder foundation but I didn't know there's a different between mineral and powder because it seems like powder to me but it's not. I live in Australia so I don't know my shade in MAC foundations so I need your help to recommend me a powder foundation. I'm going to buy it from Myer's so if you can go to their website which is http://www.myer.com.au/shop/mystore/beauty/face and have a look at the brands then you can recommend me one. Thanks a lot. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBZgKOqnPFs

The issue I see here is your application technique. Also mineral make-ups are not the best for full coverage.

Since you're 17, which means your skin's pH is constantly changing and fluctuating from oily to combination, and possibly dry due to the added make-ups. So there's that...

First thing I recommend, is to go to a counter that you're comfortable with and book a consultation. MAC and Napoleon Perdis are good ones, heck even Estee Lauder, Lancome are good bets and get a skin care analysis done FIRST, and then based on those results, (skin care product recommendations), the beauty adviser will suggest make-up product recommendations.

Now I highly recommend that they teach you how to apply your skin care and make-up products so that you can get the best performance out of your products.

It's better to have a one-on-one consultation with a beauty adviser than to read a very long "how-to" on here...  :rolleyes:

Good luck!  :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

The issue I see here is your application technique. Also mineral make-ups are not the best for full coverage.

Since you're 17, which means your skin's pH is constantly changing and fluctuating from oily to combination, and possibly dry due to the added make-ups. So there's that...

First thing I recommend, is to go to a counter that you're comfortable with and book a consultation. MAC and Napoleon Perdis are good ones, heck even Estee Lauder, Lancome are good bets and get a skin care analysis done FIRST, and then based on those results, (skin care product recommendations), the beauty adviser will suggest make-up product recommendations.

Now I highly recommend that they teach you how to apply your skin care and make-up products so that you can get the best performance out of your products.

It's better to have a one-on-one consultation with a beauty adviser than to read a very long "how-to" on here...  :rolleyes:

Good luck!  :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Thanks. I already have a skin care regimen which works well but it's just the foundation I need help with, we don't have a Mac store in our town because I'm in Australia and I think the only Mac store is in Canberra or Sydney which is too far. I'm going to buy the Mac powder foundation online and I'm hoping it's the right shade as I've already spent at least $300 on make-up :/

Thanks. I already have a skin care regimen which works well but it's just the foundation I need help with, we don't have a Mac store in our town because I'm in Australia and I think the only Mac store is in Canberra or Sydney which is too far. I'm going to buy the Mac powder foundation online and I'm hoping it's the right shade as I've already spent at least $300 on make-up :/
Hey Will,

Yeah typically mineral foundations tend to be drying. Are you using a liquid or a dual powder foundation that's mineralized? 

What's your skins' pH? Whatever it is, I'd match the foundation's pH to it.

I am going out-on-a-limb here, (based on your age, peer groups, and the description of how you do your make-up and your concerns) and that you are emulating how teenage girls do their make-up. 

Teen girls tend to wear their foundation like a mask, which looks lifeless, then they add shape to it by the use of colours.

Guys on-the-other-hand will look weird and lifeless if they apply foundation like how it's done on a girl / woman. Unless you are going for the drag look, but that's a whole different thread topic...

The less coverage (face area) you put your foundation, the better you will look. Doesn't matter what type, or coverage of foundation you use.

The trick is to apply your foundation to strategic areas of your face, for guys, it's the red areas around the nasal labial folds of the nose, sometimes the chin and the upper cheek bone area. However, men's lower cheeks must maintain their natural cheek colour coming through the foundation. Some guys like to use a beard cover corrector. If you want to cover blemishes like acne, same principle, unfortunately foundation only blocks the colour, not the physical height of an acne pimple. Point-of-fact is, the more you cover a blemish like an acne pimple, the more you will see it.

So the long story short is, guys must use a light hand when applying their foundation. Remember, guys must look like guys when they wear make-up, they shouldn't look like women. 

Watch any film or TV show, and all the guys are wearing make-up, but you can't see it. That's the trick.

I'm thinking you probably need a concealer instead of foundation. Estee Lauder Double Wear is super pigmented to give good coverage. I'd go to the Estee counter and ask your questions there. If you have widespread redness they may recommend the Double Wear powder (since that's your preference) or just color match you with a concealer and show you how to apply and set it.

I'm thinking you probably need a concealer instead of foundation. Estee Lauder Double Wear is super pigmented to give good coverage. I'd go to the Estee counter and ask your questions there. If you have widespread redness they may recommend the Double Wear powder (since that's your preference) or just color match you with a concealer and show you how to apply and set it.
Thanks I'll try it. 

Back