Makeup schools for professionals!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm a professional makeup artist but I would love to go on makeup course to learn even more techniques and get some inspiration. I do fashion, beauty,bridal and commercial makeup.  Do you know any good online makeup courses for makeup artists? Or any good makeup schools on London that has that kind of a course.  

(Also what are your favorite makeup videos in youtube? Mine are Lisa Eldridge, Monika Blunder and pixiwoo.)

I'm a professional makeup artist but I would love to go on makeup course to learn even more techniques and get some inspiration. I do fashion, beauty,bridal and commercial makeup.  Do you know any good online makeup courses for makeup artists? Or any good makeup schools on London that has that kind of a course.  

(Also what are your favorite makeup videos in youtube? Mine are Lisa Eldridge, Monika Blunder and pixiwoo.)
Stan Winston has excellent how-to videos for make-up pros on their site, but they are expensive, but at least the content is in great detail.

You can also check out Joe Blasco on MUATV. He's old school, and a bit of a talker about the good old Hollywood days, but he does have some great insights, tips and techniques for the pros.

I've also taken specific make-up courses from various IA locals across Canada. Perhaps if you speak with your Union's Make-up President about them running a specific make-up course? They tend to be open to upgrading members and permits skill sets.

I find these types of make-up seminars invaluable as no make-up school teaches these types of courses, as they are based on set experiences with new make-up technologies and ingredients and how it relates to film lighting.

Also Make-up Artist Magazine has how-to articles, again, based on on-set trouble shooting experiences. Mostly they cover topics like how certain make-ups hold up under varying environmental temperatures based on preparatory make-ups and then building upon them. 

As for me, I do like Wayne Goss, he's a reviewer and he does basic street tutorials which are easily understood.

I do get a kick out of Joe Blasco, he does demonstrate some cool old school tips and techniques that are quite surprisingly relevant today. But he tends to be easily side tracked and talks about his heyday in Hollywood. He also has a "talk show" styled talk show on his channel where he interviews MuA's from various years in Hollywood, but again, he gets side tracked and he talks about himself most of the time. So I get a chuckle out of that and sometimes seeing the guest MuA reaction to him talking about himself. after all he was a big deal MuA in Hollywood for about 40 years. Now it's the Howard Bergers, the Ve Neils, Westmore had his day in the 90's, Jeff Dawn had his day in the 80's and so on. 

But the best education I've gotten is being on set with the big boy and girl MuA's on big budget features and listening to them talk about a specific look and how to achieve that look based on lighting and environmental conditions. 

I will follow your post as I too am looking to improve. I am a current student and makeup artist with a place called Makeup.school and so far they seem great. I was enrolled in a Cosmotology program in High school but dropped out due to peer pressure and all the teasing because I was a straight guy that loved to work with hair and makeup. Now that I am older and people are a little more accepting of people and what they enjoy in life I am trying to brush up myself and come back to the field. I started by selling Avon and that re-ignited my love for makeup as well as having a daughter who loves me to pamper her. I look forward to what others may find and post here. I know the two key players in my current area are the Jolie academy and a place here called the hair and nail institute beyond there there are a lot of questionable online places I have seen popping up.

Latest posts

Back