Squarehue July 2015 Spoilers

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anyone waiting on the July collection?

squarehue July 2015.jpg

You know, I quit a few months ago and every time I've looked at the new collections on instagram I've been glad I stopped. I even perma-quit, not the temporary hold. I got sick of all the creams that I could have found anywhere--really ordinary colors that I don't think were worth the price. I think back to some of their more incredible colors in 2014 and comparatively 2015 has been a huge disappointment. 

There are other factors: I was a longterm subscriber who didn't get the freebie box that so many got at Christmas. That stung a bit and stayed with me. A close friend, someone I recommended SH to, had a very negative customer service experience. (And I believe that Makeuptalk isn't the place for a political discussion, but I've also learned some dismaying facts about A21 and don't want to give them any more money.)

I'm back to spending money on OPI, Zoya, and a few favorite indies who innovate. And for my monthly surprise fun, I got a coffee subscription  :flowers:

Thanks for your honest feedback @@lamplighter! It's always good to hear both good and bad about various subscription boxes and brands in general. That's what MUT is all about. ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20"> I don't subscribe to any monthly polish subscriptions either right now. I just don't use enough nail polish to need a monthly subscription although I don't need all the skin care and makeup I get in other boxes either but I can always justify those purchases in my mind somehow. :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20">

Coffee subscriptions sounds good! Which one did you get?

The February box was my last one, my account is suspended, and I will probably perma-quit as well.  I think the boxes are nice for new subscribers but for those of us who have been with them since the beginning, there are too many repeats, too many cremes, too many pinks.  I haven't regretted not getting the last few boxes at all -- when I see swatches the polishes are usually only very slightly different from SqH ones I got two years ago.

I, too, want to save my $ for other things, and agree that not getting the free box at Christmas was a bit of a slap in the face, when other long-term subscribers did.

I might come back for the 1980s. . . but if there's no jelly (for jelly shoes), I'm probably out too (and casting some serious side-eye).  I just don't need any more cremes. . . and now that I'm on mat leave, my bank account might be happier without the temptation, lol.

What does everyone think of SqH's announcement today of having a second subscription option, one with just two polishes instead of three?  I say, "Big whoop."  It won't be two different colors, it'll be two of the three going out in the original box.

This won't address my concerns at all, of having color repeats and no/few exciting finishes.  Really?  This is what people asked for???

What does everyone think of SqH's announcement today of having a second subscription option, one with just two polishes instead of three?  I say, "Big whoop."  It won't be two different colors, it'll be two of the three going out in the original box.

This won't address my concerns at all, of having color repeats and no/few exciting finishes.  Really?  This is what people asked for???

Of all the ways they could have improved their service, this wasn't the one I'd have chosen. The subscription doesn't need to be cheaper; it needs to be better. Getting rid of spoiler images was a bad move. A quality control issue like War Crinoline should never have happened. There's no way I would trust them to pick a color to leave out of my monthly box if I were still a member. If it happened to be the one color I actually liked best, my head would explode. 

I'll say I'm glad to see a woman of color on the artwork for the 70s. 

---

And Reija, since you asked: I'm a subscriber to Roaster's Pack (three sample bags/month), Parachute Coffee (one full-sized bag), and Nomad Coffee (one full-sized bag) --all Canadian :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> If I were in the US I'd be looking at Mistobox and Beanbox. Sampler-sized subs are good for variety but we drink way too much coffee at home to have that be enough for the month. I'm also not in a major city so we don't have much in the way of local roasting nearby. Every once in a while there's a bag that's less than thrilling, but that's when I'll switch from black to cream-and-sugar. Otherwise, I've been really super pleased. Great to think of coffee as something to look forward to and explore instead of just as an efficient caffeine delivery system.

I forget if it was here or on another board or on FB, but there was some discussion among subscribers that a good way to go might have been to have two different boxes, with the colors shown in advance, and you could pick the one you wanted.  That would have been more options.  This "new" box, two polishes for $10.99 (plus $5 shipping!, no savings there) doesn't improve the actual polishes or colors at all.  Frankly, it smacks of desperation and I'll be surprised if they're still around a year from now.

Besides, even if I wanted to reactivate my sub, I get **three** polishes for $15.99 now, since I was one of the original subscribers.  I realize this new pricing is an attempt to attract new subscribers, and businesses always need new customers to keep going, but if they improved the colors and finishes and quality, I think they'd get more business.

I no longer review and push SqH on my blog, and know of very few bloggers that do any more.

EDIT:  OMG, I just saw the July box on SqH's FB page.  Since this is a spoilers thread, I'll go ahead and say it:  ANOTHER pink.  ANOTHER lime green.  The blue-purple looks shimmery and pretty, but I can't believe they basically had two of the same colors that were just in the June box.  Once again, glad I skipped.

Last edited by a moderator:
I forget if it was here or on another board or on FB, but there was some discussion among subscribers that a good way to go might have been to have two different boxes, with the colors shown in advance, and you could pick the one you wanted.  That would have been more options.  This "new" box, two polishes for $10.99 (plus $5 shipping!, no savings there) doesn't improve the actual polishes or colors at all.  Frankly, it smacks of desperation and I'll be surprised if they're still around a year from now.

Besides, even if I wanted to reactivate my sub, I get **three** polishes for $15.99 now, since I was one of the original subscribers.  I realize this new pricing is an attempt to attract new subscribers, and businesses always need new customers to keep going, but if they improved the colors and finishes and quality, I think they'd get more business.

I no longer review and push SqH on my blog, and know of very few bloggers that do any more.

EDIT:  OMG, I just saw the July box on SqH's FB page.  Since this is a spoilers thread, I'll go ahead and say it:  ANOTHER pink.  ANOTHER lime green.  The blue-purple looks shimmery and pretty, but I can't believe they basically had two of the same colors that were just in the June box.  Once again, glad I skipped.
You're so right. I used to lurk on this board before I started an account and your insight has always been on point. I liked that duochrome as well--I saw it on instagram! But yeah, the other two were ho-hum, even though mattes are at least a different finish.

I bolded the section about running SquareHue as a business because it reminded me of this, which I found a while ago, especially this part:

In talking to George Cuevas, it was clear that he and his five partners are in business primarily to raise money for charity. They are all members of a church that four of them work for. So I urged them to focus on the advantages they have but aren't currently using.

If they're really running the business primarily to raise money for A21 and not to grow the way a traditional business is, then that explains a lot of the decisions that feel less wise to me. I don't mind them doing whatever they choose with their money, but a company that is focused on profits will care a lot more about keeping their customers happy. It's notable that when I closed my sub permanently, there was no survey question asking why I chose to quit--not in the dashboard on the site nor sent to me via email afterward. They either don't really care or (more likely) know that they're bringing out duplicative, uninspired boxes and don't care as long as subscriptions stay on. I kept mine going because, without a spoiler image, I never knew if the next box would be great (and didn't want to email Laura asking for an extra every time I wanted one). I did roll my eyes a bit every time I told Julep a reason why I'm skipping a month but it's useful information to them.

I'll be surprised, like you, if Squarehue are still operational a year from now. 

Latest posts

Back